Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

I recently found a nice condition Savage 325 and am looking at mounting a micro holographic sight on it in a scout scope style. I can’t find either a weaver style base or a picatinny rail that has a curve to the bottom that will match my receiver. Could I have a GS tap and thread my receiver for the appropriate screws then glass bed the scope base to my receiver to stabilize it and fill any voids.
      I could mount the standard side mount but I am looking for something more compact.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I know this Great gunny that has made a couple of conture matched short rails for barrel mounted mounts . Our founder does nice work.

This is a link to the exact make and model for a very similar project. I think Ranch Dog did a nice job of presenting the guide and it has good photos as well.
      http://lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1477

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Harter has definitely shown you the easy money way to get there. Use Devcon 10-110 and you’ll never have a worry, especially with a light weight sight like you describe.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Logistics /feasibility question.
      My 325 has a dove tail block in the former sight dovetail and is fitted with a 40s vintage side mount peep sight. As a curiosity would it be possible or practical to mount a fitted rail section via an hour glass shaped dovetail block? Assuming a guy had several days to waste getting the offsets and depths right to force the rail tight to the barrel without major slot peening.
      I suspect that the weight and cartridge would be a major factor in suitable solution . A rail and sight that weighs 4oz on a 7lb 225 or 222 would be a totally different arrangementthan a 12 oz scope on a 375 Winchester or 35 Rem .

Do you have any idea how many times I’ve back spaced to type barrel instead of bbl ?? The things I do to avoid a pet peeve . 🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Harter;n5663 wrote:
      Do you have any idea how many times I’ve back spaced to type barrel instead of bbl ?? The things I do to avoid a pet peeve . 🙂

God bless your sainted soul!!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.