Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Who can vouch with experience on hunting whitetails/hogs with the Ruger 7.62×39 or its brother .223?
      Im wanting to take long hikes (walking exercise per Dr’s orders) with a lightweight rifle should a deer or hog present itself.
      How well will the Ruger auto dispatch such animal?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

I’ve owned a couple Mini14s. Not the most accurate rifle around and they fling brass all over the place.

If you’re wanting a light rifle in 7.62×39 you might look at the CZ 527 carbine (not youth model).
      They are 5.9 lbs and come with a 5 round detachable box mag. Extra mags are in the Ruger price range, $30-$40.
      But the rifle it’s self is less then a Mini Thirty by about $100. Yeah, it’s a bolt gun but it has a mini Mauser action.

I really like mine. Of all my guns the CZ is at the top of the list for most packable with decent stopping power. The next is my custom (by me) Ishapore carbine in 7.62×51.

The only thing changed on my CZ was to remove the factory rear V notch sight and replace it with a receiver mounted peep sight. Oh, and I had to put a taller front sight on so I removed the front sight hood. I purchased an extra mag when I ordered mine.

The CZ is by far more accurate than a Mini Thirty. Real world groups can be as tight as 1.5″- 2″ at 100 yards from the bench with the peep sight. That’s using cheap Wolf FMJ ammo.

Here it is with the Skinner rear sight.

Here’s 3 shots off hand 100 yards.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I have to agree with TBX-4 here. Exactly the advice I was going to give.
      The CZ is lighter, cheaper, better quality, more accurate, the whole enchilada.

However, I completely understand the need for those fast follow up shots having hunted in an area where angry pigs were known to hang out. A bolt action is awfully slow when things get real.
      This lead me to my three tiers of firepower for just such a situation, and I spent quite a bit of time weighing these out after trying everything.
      1. M1A in 308. Heavy, powerful, expensive, accurate, and fast.
      2. 12 gauge semi auto loaded with round balls. Medium weight and expense, powerful, fast, accurate enough at close SD range.
      3. Slicked up Marlin 1895GBL 45-70. Lightest, cheapest, most powerful, not as fast (but almost) medium accuracy,

The mini30 is a compromise with the favorite on that list in power, price, and accuracy, but might be right up your ally. I think the others on that list are worth taking a hard look at too though.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I am not hunting these days, but I would not hesitate to take my SKS afield. Cheaper than a Ruger Mini by a comfortable margin.
      I like the Lee .312 185 gr gas checked over 20 grains of IMR 4895. Accurate enough for iron sights, only real limit is what these old eyes can see unaided.

So I did put a 2x Red Dot on mine, gives me some help on the longer targets.

I know this load is a hammer, only rifle/load that can tip over my steel gong with ease.

Yes the CZ is likely the most accurate of them all. I would not be suprised with good handloads to see it approach 1 MOA

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

GhostHawk;n11886 wrote: I would not hesitate to take my SKS afield.

To say nothing of the awesome folding bayonet!!!!
      Here piggy piggy piggy………….

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Goodsteel;n11888 wrote:

To say nothing of the awesome folding bayonet!!!!
      Here piggy piggy piggy………….

A real pig sticker, so to speak….

For a fast bolt action you can’t beat the Lee Enfield… Follow up shots can be real quick with one.
      To bad no one made a modern mini version in 7.62×39. I’d buy one in a heart beat. Especially if it looked like a No5 Jungle Carbine!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You want the ultimate?
      A few years ago, I built a M1A for a fellow in 358 Winchester. It eats 280grain WFN cast like lays potato chips and shoots about 1.5MOA. Absolutely insane level of destruction.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Dig this.
      http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602706858
      Christmas is almost here ya know…….

I’ve shot one of these that a client brought by for an opinion on. Solid 2″ groups at 100 yards with Tulamo. I was impressed.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

OK, many of you have suggestions for various setups in 7.62×39. The OP had asked about the ability of 7.62×39 (.223) to dispatch a hog or deer.
      Are you guys vouching in this post about some really cool guns in 7.62×39, or, are you vouching that the little round will dispatch a big buck or a PO’d boar??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The 7.62X39 will take care of any deer or pig that you need to put down without question.

The 223 is a modified target/groundhog cartridge, and unsuitable for dispatching animals larger than coyote IMHO.

Id rather have a 357 Magnum loaded with lead solids than a 223 in the event of fending off a charging pig, but I’d take the mini30 any day over either of them.

In short, the Mini30 is an excellent choice for your stated goal, no two ways about it.

Sorry about the thread drift.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Thread drift happens! 🙂

7.62×39
      I’m no expert but from what I’ve seen of the destruction that this cartridge can do inside of 200 yards, especially compared to .223/5.56, I would have no qualms about shooting a deer or a hog with it. And to repeat an often quoted phrase, “Shot Placement is Everything”. Put it where it counts and the little .30 cal will do it’s job magnificently!

Nice thing about the Mini Thirty is it so customizable. Lots of after market parts and it’s not too difficult to improve accuracy if need be.
      If you haven’t seen this here is a good recent review on the Mini 30.
      https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/rug…lternative-ak/

Taking another view at this, have you considered an AR-47?
      Basically an AR-15 in 7.62×39. Palmetto State Armory has been making a reliable AR-47 with good reviews. In the same price range as the Mini Thirty when they put them on sale. If you watch the Daily Special you can get them for a good price…
      I thought about buying one of their complete 7.62×39 uppers to swap out on one of my ARs. If you already have an AR it’s a great alternative.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1…c-carbine.html
      http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-p…cg-and-ch.html

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze

Tim,
      Guess we’re thinking the same here… Didn’t see your link to the Windham AR in 7.62×39 till after I posted.
      That’s a very good price! I dig it!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You said it right. Shot placement is everything.
      Unfortunately, you can buy all kinds of cool looking parts to strap on the Mini-30 except the one it really needs…….a match grade barrel.
      The reason everybody immediately started talking about other rifles is because we all know the accuracy problems associated with the Ruger Minis.

The AR has all the cool stuff you can strap all over it too……..including a decent barrel if the one they send with it shoots like a Ruger for some reason.
      Then there’s the issue of magazines……..AR trumps Ruger there too.

Now, all that said, how much precision do you need to shoot a pig 10 feet to 25 yards away?
      Not much.
      How many magazines do you need to walk through the woods and shoot what you see while walking?
      One.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks, guys.
      I got a mini thirty, but never thought about actually hunting with it. I bought it many year ago on sale and before all the stupid gun ban stuff got going heated. it just been collecting dust and added value thru the gun ban crap.
      I have heard some people say the 7.62×39 is in the .30-30 class. I don’t own a 30-30 and never tried hunting with 7.62×39. The ruger is light and handy though.
      In my area the longest deer shot ever of mine is about 75 yards. 50% of all my deer kills were inside 30yards.
      Im getting old now and need to do exercise like walking or hiking. I got a A-bolt .270 and it is too much to drag around just for a hike, don’t need a 270 for a 50yard deer shot either, I want to lighten up some.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’d say you’ve got the right rifle for the job then!

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Might take a look at the new thread (Cast hunting loads in the 7.62×39) I just posted.

Larry Gibson

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, that,
      and a little M95 mauser that Im putting together in .35rem, shorty barrel, youth type stock, scout scope.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Because of my location and regs …… I believe ,as I haven’t run it yet , that an NOE 312-230 fp would make the 1000#@100 standard in an SKs I had. That particular rifle would get 1600 at mag length with a similarly shaped 200 gr bullet at mag length and 1800 fps single fed. The barrel was huge also at 305×316 . The NOE 230 only needs 1600 fps to make the 1k@1000 .

I would say that makes it a solid 100yd deer cartridge .

7.62-39 Incase it wasn’t clear.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

I believe I’d put a Limbsaver Slip On Recoil Pad on that one,,,.$20 at Walmart and worth five times that! The Jungle carbine stock was noted for being “Punishing.” I have one of those slip on bumpers on my #4Mk1 and I can shoot indefinitely with a only a tee shirt for padding.

W.R.Buchanan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 31
      • Overall: 33

That is a pretty cool looking little rifle !!!

Randy

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Randy, you really should send me a levergun for a makeover someday. 2 shots per second is noooooo problemo.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.