This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kens 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
     kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 529
    • Overall: 585

I am not a deer dog hunter, but want to know about some of that ethics.

I hunt federal land (dogs are illegal), and a dog hunting property is adjacent to that in my favorite area, many white oaks, live oaks, food plot, and a nice firebreak where deer frequently cross lands.

Problem:

sometimes the deer club dog get astray onto the federal land. the game warden really don’t like dogs on his land. I don’t like them either, they are trained to run deer and I am still hunting. What should I do if I find a deer dog?

Do I call the game warden and let him sort it out? this causes the dog owner much stress and leads to fines & written tickets.

Do I hold the dog for reward/hostage money? Surely the dog owner does not want to deal with game warden, correct?

Do I do nothing, and un-see the deer dog?

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

If they don’t know, you might politely tell them under the guise of helping them out and not wanting to see them get fined. If they know, then they are pricks and deserve to be turned in. Don’t touch the dogs unless you want to risk getting shot or sued.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

They know for sure its illegal to be on the federal land. this has been an ongoing fued like the hatfield and McCoys for decades. Some 20 odd year ago, I saw dogs running deer under my stand, and tire tracks from the dog club crossing onto the land. The laws got changed and I had not seen hide nor hair of a dog in 15years.

Enter this weekend, I saw dog hunters walking the land, and that afternoon I saw 2 dogs astray on my way to my stand.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’d invest in some game camera’s, catch them red handed and send the memory chip to the authorities. They are the ones breaking the law. They are the ones that are not concerned with ethics. Upholding the laws of the land (especially ones you agree with) should never be an ethical challenge.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I didnt need the cameras; I had 2 dogs live in hide and hair. I was on my way to afternoon deer stand hunt in the same general area. I got out of my truck and the dogs come running to me, they were obviously tired, dry, and exhausted. The dogs had the GPS collar on them, too. I know when the owner invests as much as GPS collars he is into serious money in the dogs. I called the game warden and asked what to do, how to handle it. GW said tie the dogs up and he would come get them, told me to go on to my hunt as the deer were in fact moving that day. GW also asked for an I.D. off the collar, and the dogs turned out to be from same owner who lost another dog earlier that morning, which was returned to owner by game warden. At the end of the day, the owner had 3 dogs returned to him by the game warden.

Since all of this activety is happening so close to my tree stand, I just went home, and let the warden sort it out.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.