Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

I’ve been down to deer camp for a little over a week and had my 82yo Uncle Bob, his Son and Grandson come down from Idaho to hunt Wild Boar.  I had been baiting them and had them on my trail camera fairly regularly.  When Bob showed up, all of the pigs had left the area.  He was down here from Monday to Friday and didn’t see a thing.  Several of the guys from the lease let us hunt on their stands, but he didn’t see a thing.  So thursday night I had just dropped the guys off at their different stands and was on the way to another, when out of the bushes darts this huge Black Boar.  I was doing 40 and jammed on the brakes, but didn’t have any time.  It hit the bumper, rolled under the tire, bumped a few more times and got spit out the back of the truck.  I jumped out fully expecting to see this thing dead in the road, but it was just getting to it’s feet and in 2 bounds was off in the dense undergrowth.

It bent the bumper as it went under and the tire would rub when i turned left.

I used a tow strap and a tree to pull it back out gently.

Body Shop in the woods FTW 🙂

I tried to post this from my phone, but it said that the service was unavailable.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Holy Toledo. I’m glad you’re alright! Hard to believe how tough those critters are.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I’ve never dealt with feral hogs yet, but I hope to fix that in the next year or two. I did grow up feeding and butchering domestic hogs. They can be tough. When I was a kid Dad hit one of the neighbors escapees with the ’59 Chevy station wagon. The dent in that steel bumper can still be seen today.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Must have been a small one, big ones don’t move when hit.   Braking let you take out the bumper but full speed probably would have taken out the suspension.  I commuted from DFW to Greenville every day for 6 years, saw lots of cattle & horses legs up in the median but pigs just leave a wrecked vehicle. I thought Ar didn’t allow hunting of razorbacks.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yes, Arkansas definitely does allow the hunting of Razorbacks.  We can even hunt them at night.  The hunting regs encourages every hunter to shoot any and all wild hogs that they see.  They also say that you don’t have to take them into possession, but I would always take them in and process them.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Last time I was there, maybe 2010 we had deer tags and a bear tag, not that we wanted to run into one of those characters.  I guess they changed the rules.  Kinda like Tx, Mockingbird is state bird but I’d like to shoot them.  Cattle Egret is another ‘protected’ but flocks are huge.   http://www.rockcitytimes.com/razorbacks-mascot-hunting-cheerleader/

“Feral hogs may be killed by hunters who are hunting bear, deer or elk during a firearm season with weapons legal for those seasons.” for public land.  Guess that’s were I saw the rule.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

On Private Land
      Feral hogs may be killed or trapped year-round, by a landowner or anyone with the landowner’s permission (except anyone who has had his or her hunting license revoked).

On Public Land
      Feral hogs may be killed by hunters who are hunting bear, deer or elk during a firearm season with weapons legal for those seasons. Hogs may also be taken incidentally with archery tackle from Nov. 1-Dec. 31, during open bear, deer and elk seasons on the WMAs listed below. Hunters must comply with all hunting license and permit requirements. Feral hogs killed on WMas can be taken for processing or left where they were shot. Dogs are not allowed for hunting feral hogs on WMAs.

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/feral-hogs/

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.