Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Is the quality of the H&R Trapdoor Carbine equal to that of those made by Uberti and Pedersoli?

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Yes. There was problems wth late run BBs and an improperly modified cam lock but the workmanship and quality is as d.most of the H&R TDs have no problems with the BB. A real benefit of the H&R TDs is the use of modern steel and a .458 groove diameter. Thus jacketed bullets and all standard cast, self cast or commercial, can be used without fit problems.

I have an LBH carbine. I’ve removed the tang rear sight an installed an original Type III M1879 carbine rear sight on the barrel. It is an excellent shooter and is often used along with my H&R Officers Model TD. Amazing how accurate both are with a plethora of cast bullets using smokeless and BP loads.

Larry Gibson

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Bought one new back in the early 70’s. Great shooter and that model had moderate etching that gave it some real flair. Wish I still had it….
      Mine was well made and fitting of wood to metal was close and right.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I’ve never shot one of the Italian TDs so I can’t make a comparison. On the other hand, I’ve had dealings with three H&R TDs and my two Officer Models shoot very well and are just a hoot at the range with 405 grain bullets. I’ve had good success with them out past 400 yards. The third (my brother’s carbine) shoots reliably, but it is not as accurate as the OM TDs. I’ve played with it, but it’s just one of those rifles that is a recalcitrant SOB when it comes to small groups. It’s pretty lively in the recoil department too.

I bought my first H&R TD in 1970 and the second one in 1995 or so. Neither one has required any maintenance other than cleaning.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.