Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike W1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 21

Have 4 Lyman molds but can’t keep up with a propane tank pot of hot lead. What is the best way to cool the molds down a bit?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Slow your roll, or buy more ingot molds?
      Anything I have tried to cool them down doesn’t end well. I used to be in a hurry all the time when smelting, but any more, I like nice, clean, sharp looking ingots.
      There’s all sorts of doctoring I can do to the pot while things are cooling down.
      Throw in more wheel weights? flux again?
      Heck the last run I did, I cast up 200 pounds of alloy with two RCBS ingot molds. Just kept a nice steady pace and had a good time.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I use 3/4″ thick steel plates under my ingot molds to help cool them, the plates are 6″ x12″ . This helps a lot, as plated get hot I dunk them in cold water cooling the plates not the molds,

I also use a section of 6×6 heavy angle iron clamped in my shop vice to support my 4 cavity 5 pound ingot molds that I got from RayNH, several years ago.

Think heat sinks under your molds.

I even use an aluminum plate to cool molds when casting.

Ken

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Now I’ve got to try that! Come to think of it, I know where I can get some big ol aluminum heat sinks about the size of a mold for cheap!
      What a COOL idea.
      LOL!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

The “heat sink” idea is the way to go. I prefer to set my ingot molds on concrete slaps in the winter. Having more airflow over them via a fan helps. Setting them on wet towels only works for about two loads. Then, the towel heats up and dries out. They will scorch and stink up the place next.

While waiting for ingot mold to cool is a good time to do other things. Turn the fire under than smelting pot down and enjoy life. Do something comforting like sort that bucket (or two) of mixed brass you’ve been accumulating. The best is some time to share with your friends. We have yet to run out of experiences to share.

A big pile of ingots is nice. Time spent with your casting buddies is better.

Mike W1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 21

Put a 1/2′ piece of aluminum on legs out that today to try the heat sink idea. Starting to think heat might not be the problem as just 1 of the 4 molds doesn’t like to release the ingots. Not ready to resort to water yet so think I’ll wire brush the mold first.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

I usually have my lead pot heated up in the shop. I cast bullets, and step outside every few minutes, dump the ingots out, and pour again. Then back to casting.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.