Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I bought what I believe to be an H&G #68 . 1 source suggested it may be a #69 .

Are there others that used the milled sprue plate ?
      An 8 cavity mould is a tank .
      The handles look right but are in need of new wood .
      The poor thing looks like it was under the hood of John Deere for about 10yr 20 yr ago . So until I get it cleaned up some no pictures .
      I’m not a tool snob but how sweet is it when a guy sees you fawning over an ugly old hunk of iron and low balls your most wildly imagined low ball by half ?
      It does have a little bit of rust inside the blocks and there was no way to look at sprue plate side of the cavities with the last cast still in it .

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I it looks pretty rough but I think it’s salvageable .
      It is in fact an H&G but it’s a #130 not a #68 .
      I guess a guy can’t get hurt for $30 on a complete mould that sold for $63.50 in 75′ and $244 in 92′ .

There is a site kept up by a family member I think with lots of info for time lines and ID info with a full list of moulds and possibly even a means of tracking individual moulds to the original buyer .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

H&G mould #130

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Where # should be

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The sprue plate that tipped me off

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yes this was where I found the best most complete information ;
      http://www.hensleygibbs.com .

I wasn’t really into the H&Gs as I felt they were ” above my pay grade ” so I didn’t really dig up or dedicate anything to memory other than from sprue plate discussions . I really never expected to own one .
      Is it wrong to just take a seller’s price when you’re sure it’s not enough even when you’re not sure what it is ?
      Nope , maybe if I was a picker or a flipper .

LenH
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 32
      • Overall: 36

Harter,

That mold doesn’t look as bad as some I have seen, but if you got it for $30 you have a nice fixer upper. I’ll double you money right now if you feel that guilty about it. Just kidding on that one.

I have an 8 cavity H&G Mold and it is a beast, if it wasn’t for the mold shelf I got for a ProMelt I couldn’t cast with it but about 20 minutes. It is a pot drainer and that is for sure but those things are a caster’s dream.

Len H.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

A little color

I had an open bottle of cold blue , our water is bad for bare iron here , so I wiped 2 passes on everything but the cavities .

Worst of the wear
      The worst of the wear and a glimpse of the cavities .

H& G logo

The logo and number .

Clean up after 4 hours in Evaporust.

4 hr in Evaporust and a Chore Boy on the outside a little 0000 steel wool on the inside and sprue faces .

The pictures are backwards ….. Anyway I’m in awe of Evaporust again . Bluing probably wasn’t the best plan but protection is protection , right ?
      I gave it a spritz of Rem oil and got the handles back in some sort of not gross shape I’ll have to make or buy grips eventually .
      What’s a guy to do having a new mould and a snow day ? Yep go run a few pours …………oh my ….I so totally get it . Yeah see this is what that brass M-P was supposed to be like . No I’m not crazy about cutting 8 sprues at a time . I know how the handle got tweeked and the alignment pin hole got wollered out . To borrow from Cheech Marin ” baby if this is casting in bulk sing me up!” .
      Wow it warmed right up on the uncovered hot plate while the melt was happening , the trough makes pours so easy , the 3rd pour (inspite of all the chemicals) delivered 8 perfect bullets .

Across the 8 cavities there’s 1 fat at .455 and 1 skinny at at .4537 tell rest are .454 they dropped 191.3-192 gr .
      I guess I did alright .

Darren McCann
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 19

Ahhhh…the joys of H&G Large heavy multi cavity molds. I have a couple of 10 hole Wadcutter molds. They were easier to use with a large ladle and a plumbers pot than a bottom pour pot. Still a pile of boolits and an empty pot in a short time. I have and cast with a #130 2 cavity and they are really nice in both 45ACP and 45 LC. Excellent job cleaning it up. Before I got to the end of the thread I was thinking “heater up and giver a twirl” even with surface rust I would think it would have dropped good useable boolits.
      The quality of a H&G Mold is amazing, even decades old, tons of use and who knows what/where it spent its last days. Casts up boolits like the day it was made!!

Have an amazing weekend 🍺🍺

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have an RCBS ladle that is about 1700gr to feed this monster it was good to have for the 3 hole 535gr too . I have to feed revolvers in ACP , Schofield and Colts . It should be a good lead saver .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Ready to go

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.