This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  redriverhunter 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
     redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 22
    • Overall: 47

I was wondering how many are getting a pass through shot with Hornady sst’s. shot I a deer tonight and the bullet did not exit. The shot was a broad side shot at a 100 yards with a rock river LAR 8. The load is 43.0 grains of h 4895 with a 165 gn hornady sst. I have to give the bullet this the deer did not go more than 10 yards but I was thinking I should have got an exit hole.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Typically, that bullet blows right through unless a leg bone is hit or nicked, and then who knows what would happen.

I loaded these bullets in a 30-06 over a medium charge of R15 and he shot a very respectable 9 point on the property adjacent to me. Shut the deer down DRT, and passed completely through.

Whenever discussing bullet failure, it’s best to keep in mind that you have to recover the bullet to make the statement, and then, it’s a bit of a moot point….. LOL!

Now, I’m a huge Hornady fan and I have to admit, I shoot more Hornady than Sierra on a regular basis. By virtue of that, it bears mentioning that I put three deer down with the Hornady FTX 30-30 bullet in my custom 1886 chambered in 300 Goodsteel (45-70 necked down to 30 caliber to duplicate 30-06 ballistics). That is a much weaker constructed bullet than the SST, but very similar in design. I got magnificent pass through shots on two of the deer, with the classic 12″red racing stripe through the woods. The other one stopped on the off shoulder, but only after breaking both front legs and losing 40% of its mass.

These were 160 grain bullets cooking off at 2550 FPS.

http://goodsteelforum.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/48137/wp87dw5be743htfdbkr4p4dziqtu48tq.jpg

Milkman 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 24
    • Overall: 28

I use the SST in my .243, and have only killed a dozen or so with it, but have had 2 failures to exit.  The first was a very large buck with a broadside shot, no large bones, the other was a smaller buck angled away with the shot going through the front shoulder blade and stopping under the skin on the far ribs.  The big buck traveled maybe 20 yards and the smaller one fell like a ton of bricks had dropped on him.   Can’t say the bullets failed, but I really, really do like to see a hole on both sides.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

I just clicked on the Hornady page for that, they are telling you it is specifically made for fast expansion, and works best at high velocity. they dont specifically call it for penetration. It just a different school of thought, the one that exerts all its energy on initial expansion, then the other that exerts energy all the way through both sides

I’m a fan of a pass-thru shot, and fast expansion at the same time, AKA .30-30 or 35Rem. 50cal muzzleloader HP is another fast expansion with pass thru ability.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

The way I see it, the SST is a hunting bullet that shoots like a target bullet. As long as the deer goes down and I have a good blood trail, I could give a dam if I get a pass through shot. Bullets kill by impact, not hemorrhage.

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

deer

Last year I was shooting 150 gn sst and I either missed or it ran off no blood. The deer I took I found no blood where I had shot it and there was not pool of blood where I found him. the shot entered behind his right shoulder and ended up some where behind his left ribs, his liver was shredded almost in half. I could not find the jacket or core my guess in the jacket core was in his guts and that was left in the field.  I have to give this to the bullet so far as it has dropped them quickly. I have shot a mature hog with the same load and it was drt this (this year).  I attached a phot of the entrance wound and it amazes me that a bullet could blow a hole that big (2 1/2 +inches) and the skin was not effected much. skin does stretch. I choose the sst because it shot the best in two of my .308 win rifles. I am not knocking the sst was mostly wondering if others were having like results. thanks for the replies.

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Like I said, the SST is kind of a hybrid target bullet.

If you really want to shoot through them with epic effectiveness (and cast is out of the question) then there are several premium hunting bullets I have experience with that will definitely do the job for you:

Nosler Partition. The original kill it all hunting bullet. Really excellent game bullet. It pops open fast, but drives deep (one fellow I know shot two large doe with a 270 using the Partition. He was shooting at the closer of the two, but they both dropped in their tracks. Complete double pass through.) This bullet cannot ever claim to be a true target bullet (and those that do make that claim are one and all three shot group

Nosler Accubond. Pretty good precision with this bullet and very effective game getting performance. I don’t know if I would guarantee 100% pass through performance, but it is a better choice than the SST.

Barnes TTSX. This is a polymer tipped, solid copper bullet that pretty much lays em in the shade. Some claim a modicum of precision from these bullets and they have a reputation for working well with a long jump to the lands, but again, I’ve never tested them, nor seen them tested properly with real 10 shot groups.

Hornady GMX. I’ve witnessed this bullet’s performance first hand, and it is impressive. Again, I have no experience with the precision  it is capable of, but I feel comfortable saying you’ll have no trouble letting the air out of both sides.

That’s just a few options, and they all share the common trait of being more expensive than the SST. Personally, I like to practice with what I hunt with, and the SST lets me do that on a budget. I used to hunt with the A-max bullet, but it was just too explosive. The SST is a good compromise coming from that experience base.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

why do you say cast is not epic effectiveness??

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 218
    • Overall: 261

“why do you say cast is not epic effectiveness??”

I believe the quote was meant as, if you do not want to shoot cast, then look at several other premium hunting bullets. ??

“If you really want to shoot through them with epic effectiveness (and cast is out of the question) then there are several premium hunting bullets I have experience with that will definitely do the job for you:”

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

What I meant is that cast is the obvious choice, but if that’s out of the question……….

Cast bullets are the most effective hunting projectiles on the planet, but some folks want a jacketed bullet for that fist shot at long range. Since the OP is dealing with jacketed bullet performance, I gave advice accordingly.

redriverhunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I got a bullet recovered tonight shot a doe at about 100 yards, broad side, good hit, it took out most of the pluming out above the heart. She did not go anywhere dropped right where she was. I found the bullet on the opposite side under the skin.  The bullets  weight was 73.8 grains. Same as before took her with a rock river LAR 8. The load is 43.0 grains of h 4895 with a 165 gn hornady sst.  My hunting buddy’s’ daughter took a doe the other day with a 243 using Hornady’s  reduced load with the sst bullet he said the deer made it about 25 yards. These bullets are dropping the deer quickly.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.