- May 26, 2016 at 7:50 pm #28118
Late Tuesday afternoon a tornado destroyed the farmstead in Ness County, KS where I grew up. Part of the stone house was build in 1880, the barn before 1906. The 30 ft windmill tower my mother never wanted to know how many times I claimed is no where to be found. At least my 1948 1.5T Chevy truck survived. Real American steel there. It will be different when I show up there in December to hunt deer. There was hail of course. The 3″+ of rain is making it safe to burn the debris. Reminds me that nothing is forever, and we should live for today.
- May 26, 2016 at 8:12 pm #28119HarterParticipant
- Posts: 76
- Comments: 807
- Overall: 883
Very sorry to hear that. Glad you’re all still on your ft .
- May 26, 2016 at 8:27 pm #28120
The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away.
Sad news indeed. Very sorry for your loss, however, I’m also very glad no one was hurt (at least I hope that’s the case?)
- May 26, 2016 at 8:29 pm #28121
No one was at the place when it hit.
A separate tornado took out my cousin’s place 7 miles SE of the farmstead.
- May 26, 2016 at 9:31 pm #28122chutesnreloadsParticipant
- Posts: 4
- Comments: 161
- Overall: 165
Glad there were no injuries.Kansas huh?Maybe the windmill’s in Oz.Lot of memories there I’m sure
- May 27, 2016 at 3:53 am #28134oldblinddogParticipant
- Posts: 4
- Comments: 110
- Overall: 114
I am sorry for your loss. Memories need an anchor for the kids to come back to. I hope you are able to restore it.
- May 27, 2016 at 5:00 pm #28138ArtfulParticipant
- Posts: 187
- Comments: 428
- Overall: 615
Sorry for your loss, One of the things I learned from a house fire is to share your photo’s with other’s (much easier now digitally) as if you
have a loss like this sometimes what was sent out can come back to you.
- May 27, 2016 at 5:07 pm #28139
Very good suggestion. I have 95% of my pictures uploaded to one of my photobucket accounts.
- May 27, 2016 at 9:10 pm #28140skeettxParticipant
- Posts: 16
- Comments: 197
- Overall: 213
Sorry for your loss, pleased you still have the memories
- May 28, 2016 at 10:32 pm #28167
Burned out hulk of stone house.
They sent videos of the house burning. I cannot figure out how to download them from text messages. I wept.
- May 28, 2016 at 10:54 pm #28168
That is absolutely heart breaking. I’m so sorry.
- May 29, 2016 at 2:29 am #28171Wright ArmsParticipant
- Posts: 8
- Comments: 130
- Overall: 138
Very sorry to hear of the loss. 2 of the 3 homes I lived in growing up have since been hit by tornados. One of them was never rebuilt, but neither of them had the history of this homestead.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.