This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  uber7mm 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
     uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

I decided to look into a 22 caliber bore guide for cleaning a centerfire rifle. I remember them not being cheap, but I had purchased one for twenty years. Thirty dollars for an alumium style with an adjustable handle and $13 for a simple plastic tube. Ouch!

Plastic tube, eh?  I started to inventory the materals I had around the garage. This is what I came up with. It’s 8″ of half inch PVC pipe, and a 7mm caliber cartridge case mouth glued together.

A 30-06 case head is just smaller than the half inch pipe’s inside diameter, so any range brass with a .473″ case head will work, however the mouth of the case must be smaller than the head of the gun chamber’s in question. 7mm is slightly smaller at the mouth (.324″ external) than the .378″ case head of the popular .222 Rem, .223 Rem, etc…. I cut the case head off of the 7x57mm* case and then cleaned off the burrs prior to assembly. I pre-fit the pieces in the chamber of the rifle in question, then glued the case into the pipe with hot glue.

The brass case mouth shouldn’t cause any damage to the chamber; it’s only touching the base of the chamber at the shoulder of the case, and cartridges are made of brass, so it was natural choice for a tip.

I’m not worried about solvents in the PVC pipe or glue. If there’s any deterioration, I’ll replace the pipe. The glue sits between the PVC and brass case so the cleaning rod and solvents shouldn’t come in contact with the hot glue.

* I actually used a military 30-06 range brass case that was cut down and blown out to 8x57JS. The case in question suffered a hairline crack just above the base and was retired. I formed the 8x57JS case to 7×57 with a full length die and then cut the head off at the hairline crack. Not that anyone cares.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Well done! Typically, I make a bore guide out of the actual brass that is used by the rifle. Tubing can be purchased from McMaster Carr for not much money, and JB-weld works.

Since we are on the subject, one problem I’ve had is cleaning 45-70 rifle from the muzzle when you cannot go through the action (the 1886 is a classic example). The crown is bound to take a beating after 15-gozillion strokes, so, to protect the crown, take a piece of 270 brass and cut the head off. Slide it down the cleaning rod, then screw on the brush or jag. start the cleaning tip into the barrel, and as soon as it gets an inch down or so, push the 270 brass down. The taper of that cartridge is such that it will stop in the middle of the case body, and the small neck will keep the rod perfectly centered in the bore. I can clean to my heart’s content, and never touch the rifling or the crown with the rod.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

We had similar problem years ago when the new technology was the fiberglass ramrod. That was just great…..no more broken wooden ramrods !!!

That was just great until……. we ALL found out how abrasive fiberglass is to the muzzle. All of us ended up cutting an inch off the muzzle to freshen it up.

For my muzzleloaders I still use wood ramrods, and for modern guns I have several rods made of aluminum and brass. I never understood the usage of a steel ramrod, why not aluminum or brass??

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

I use a rubber (polymer) wine bottle cork on my cleaning rod to protect the muzzle.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.