This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Remmie 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 47
    • Overall: 51

Yesterday I attempted to make some Lyman #2. I did use the alloy calculator so it is pretty close. I had 1lb of pure Sb so I kinda crushed it up using a 2″x4″ pipe nipple with a cap and my bullpen for a pestle. Used 48 lbs of COWW I also added 2.6 lbs, of pewter.Melted the wheel weights and added the Sb and Sn. The Sn helps the Sb dissolve.Then it was just stirring until the Sb was dissolved. Checking the calculator I found it was still too low in Sb. So I added 4.3 lbs. of lino. After fluxing and skimming I poured 12 of my muffin ingots and shut the pot down. The calculator says 5.15% Sn, %5.58 Sb, and.039% Ar. Went out this morning and did a pencil test for hardness, checked out HB. Calculator says estimated bhn is 15.2. My actual cost for 55 lbs of #2 is about $35. Now all I have to do is figure out what I want to do with it. Mostly figure to use it in the 03a3 at a little higher velocity. Any reccomendations on whether I should water drop them or suggestions on loads. Boolit will be Lee 170 gr FN. with gas check.

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I cast 120 boolits with this alloy yesterday afternoon after I got back from my pain management appointment. Cast at 725* because I had seen a post by Larry Gibson recomending that temp for #2 alloy. Some of the best boolits I have ever cast. Now I see why people like that alloy. Well, anyway I got the results from my MRI and now I find out that the shoulder pain is from a torn rotor cup. And that means I need to lay off my full power 30-06 jacketed loads. I had planned on using this alloy in the 06 anyway, but now I am looking for a reasonably mild load that will be super accurate at 100yds. Lyman #4 has data for 4198but I read of other people using 4895. I guess I could spring the extra bucks for the 5744 but I am just not sure which way to go. Can’t give up shooting, just need to keep the pain level a little lower and prevent further damage.( Yeah, I am a shootaholic) Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. If I could get more Unique I would just use that but it doesn’t seem to be an option in my area. Oh, and these were air cooled. Was planning on WD if higher velocity and charges were needed for accuracy. Thanks in advance, Jack

41magjh 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 6
    • Overall: 6

Remmie are you a Ironworker by trade because you you used a bullpen to mash it with

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

18 years as an industrial maintenance mechanic, setting machinery, working on boilers, doing iron work around the plant. Bullpens are pretty handy line up tools for boiler doors.

chutesnreloads 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 161
    • Overall: 165

You really want to take it easy on that shoulder.Why not try”The Load”?13 grains RedDot behind that 170 grain cast bullet.More than plenty accurate in my -06 savage 110 and probably less kick than a .223.Lots of fun.Get well so you can shoot the heavier stuff

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Just checked Gamaliel Shooting supply website, out of stock on Red Dot. I wonder if 700x would work for an equivalent load? I guess for now I could use up the last of my Unique. I still want to out shoot my grandson with his 308 using cast instead of j-words. That ought to frost his cheerios,LOL.

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 95

16.0 grs. of Alliant 2400 has been a great load for me in several rifles like my Mosins an Sav.99 in 300 Sav. Recoil is light and MV runs around 1600 to 1700 fps. range using the Lee 160 & 170 gr. bullets. The Lyman #3 Cast Bullet manual has lots of load data for a wide range of cast bullet weights and powders,700X being just one of them for the 06. If you let me know what weight bullets you have and powders on hand I’ll be glad to send you some data.

41magjh 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 6
    • Overall: 6

Hope you find a load that will not beat your shoulder up

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Reloader 762, it is a Lee 170 gr FN GC boolit. Haven’t weighed any with this alloy but was getting 173+or – .3 with the WW+sn. And I have plenty of 700x and it is in stock in Gamaliel.

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze

In the Lyman #3 Cast Bullet manual for the 30-06 using 170 gr. to 187 gr. gas check bullets cast from Lyman #2 alloy you can use a starting load or 9.5 grs. of 700X for a MV in the 1200+ fps. range up to a Max. load of 13.0 grs. for a MV of 1400 to 1500+ fps. depending on the bullet weight used.

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Thanks for the data. I put gas checks and dip lubed my boolits this afternoon so in the morning will size and load some using this data. Really appreciate the help. Thank you. Jack

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Yeah, I am going to have to get this shoulder fixed. I can’t stand the thought of not being able to feel that thump from a "real"load.

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I guess I haven’t been thinking very clearly lately. I also have on hand Titegroup,Titewad, Bullseye, Accurate 4064, IMR 4350,Win 760, Win 748 and IMR 3031. And no data for most of them with cast in rifles. I still haven’t found my Lyman #3 edition and have found the #4 edition to be pretty sad. Haven’t had a chance to load and shoot any with this alloy and I really have to laugh at myself. I was working on catsneeze loads, decided to try a little hotter loads with a harder alloy and now I am back to looking for milder loads. Oh, and about half a pound of Unique left. I am hoping to find a load I can handle right ow that is about 1950-2000 fps.

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 71
    • Overall: 76

I have no notion of how your shoulder will like this load, but I am shooting 30gr of 3031 under a lyman 311041 in a model 70 Win. 06. It leaves the barrel nice and shiny sized .310, checked and lubed with Randy’s TAC#1. This same load in my 30-30 gives about 2100′. Accuracy wise, shooting either rifle, I can knock smoke off a 6 inch diameter rock every shot at 175 yards, shooting iron sights. No great shakes, but for a one eyed fat man, I’ll take it.

I realize there is precious little science in my reply, but it might give you something to work from.

claude

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Thanks Claude, I don’t know how my shoulder will take it either but I am going to find out. Grandson bought me a Pachmayr recoil pad that feels pretty good.
    Maybe it will all work out.

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Just in case you can’t find Red Dot and want to use that 13.0 grs. load you can use Promo instead. It’s has the same burn rate as Red Dot but is suppose to be a bit more dense. Alliant states that you can use Red Dot data with Promo.

Here is some other data with some of the powders you have and as always be safe. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Well the 30 grs of 3031 did not hurt my shoulder. It just wasn’t very accurate in the 03a3. About a 6″ group at 100yds. That recoil pad helps but it masses up the eye relief on the scope with my normal cheek weld. That might be part of the large group. I guess I will work a ladder and see where it goes. Also wanting to go ahead and try 10 rounds each of the 700x and the Titewad. The SD on that website Reloader 762 posted looked interesting for the Titewad. So much to try and never enough time! Thanks again for all the help and I will post my results as I get it done. This is the first site that has ever made me wish I had a way to post pictures.
    Jack

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 71
    • Overall: 76

The old “good news, bad news” syndrome. I’m glad the shoulder wasn’t agravated anyway. I’m sure you’ll get where you want to be if you don’t get tired of fiddlin’ with the loads, but then, that’s all part of the fun of the craft.

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

The fact that every rifle has its own preferences and the ” mad scientist” factor make this a really fun hobby. Constant experimentation and striving for better results, what more could you ask for?

Remmie 
    Participant
    • Bronze

I tried out the 13 grs of 700x this morning, got about a 4″ group at 100yds. And several of the out lying rounds were definetly my fault. I believe this will work for a low velocity practice round. Of course I am going to save my #2 and go back to COWW and SN. The neatest thing about today was that right after I got done shooting I started to walk down and check the target. There were several does starting to cross my shooting lane. I just left them looking at me as I turned around and went back to the bench. Did not want to spook them too much. About an hour later went to check the target and had a big gobbler run across the path in front of me, about 15 yds. Always a good day when the wild life is around. It is super great being able to work up a new load and step out into the back yard and test drive it. On the downside for today I tried to practice drawing from concealed carry with 1911 a1 and found it really lights up this shoulder. Oh well, win some, lose some.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.