Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Yesterday morning I tried seating some Winchester large rifle primers in some R-P .45-70 brass. They were seated high even after cleaning the primer pocket real good. I tried another batch of primers from a different lot, and same results. All I had were Winchester on hand. It was the same for about a half-dozen I tired. I finally had to break out my old RCBS primer pocket swager that I used decades ago for military .45 ACP brass. My old RCBS Rockchucker Jr doesn’t have much leverage. I set it to go over center so I had maximum leverage. I used probably 30 lbs of force on the end of the handle. I lot of seat as I did about 70 pieces. The primers now seat just below flush. Anyone else ever had this problem with Winchester primers and R-P brass?

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I had some tight primer pockets in .308 win Nosler brass.
      I did the same thing you did and it helped some.

I was using Fed primers which I am told are the largest in size and dimension.
      I switched to CCI and they worked fine.

sundog
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 30

I had to trim some RP 44 mag brass primer pockets years ago for the same thing – primers would not seat to the proper depth.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve still got more brass that I’ve not swaged the primer pockets on. I need to get some Remington primers and see if they work better.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve got three words for you:
      RCBS Ram Prime

LOL!

I was just loading 44 magnum for my daughter this last Sunday. Wolf primers are stiff by their nature, but add the Remington brass and they were more than the autoprime wanted. Threw the Ram Prime in the A4, and stabbed em in there. They shot just fine.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

So, I’m beginning to see
      1) There are slight differences in the external dimensions of primers AND their malleability
      2) There are differences in the primer pocket

I’m glad I shared this as now maybe we are just beginning to put together what primer works best with what brass.
      I’m talking physical dimensions, not how “hot” or such a primer composition is.
      Something useful may come of this.
      BTW, thanks to all for listening to my whining. Makes me feel better.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I don’t remember having any trouble with CCI in any brass . They are what I use mostly because that is all I had access to to start . I did shoot some Winchester in a couple of rifles and the groups by over an inch when I switched back to CCI . Just me and my stash . I did have a large number of FC sm pistol in Winchester 9mm and 40 brass that gave me trouble as in hard seating with a start , stop , swage to bottom feel on the little RCBS partner press . It seats primers on the down stroke right at the bottom so you can get the frame handle squeeze to seat the uncooperative primers .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

“Uncooperative Primers”. A good term. I have often really “leaned” on the handle to get primers flush. But, that brings up the question of what it does for sensitivity and consistency. Additionally, in the late 80’s I bought some Federal LRP that would go “bang” when seating them with little pressure. Eventually that lot was recalled.

So, are there any ill effects to seating a primer with way more than just the force to seat it?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I haven’t seen an issue with it but it doesn’t happen in over 2-3% and rarely if ever by load 4-5. I have some 9mm brass that has next to no headstamp , the first batch of 40 isn’t too bad off . The Win 40 was more of a firm push than a real swage to bottom .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You want a solution? OK, here it is:
      Brass:
      Lapua, and Starline.
      Primers:
      Federal.

Said in a more general way:
      garbage in = garbage out.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

A friend of mine brought his brand new (too him) Marlin rolling block in .45-70 over to my place one day to shoot. His primers stuck out so far from the case I couldn’t believe it. He said they were Federal primers, I believe, and they always stuck out that way with his Starline brass. Personally I’d be afraid to carry them around for fear I might drop or bang one against something. I use Starline and CCI 200 and have never had that problem.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Chris C;n11617 wrote: A friend of mine brought his brand new (too him) Marlin rolling block in .45-70 over to my place one day to shoot. His primers stuck out so far from the case I couldn’t believe it. He said they were Federal primers, I believe, and they always stuck out that way with his Starline brass. Personally I’d be afraid to carry them around for fear I might drop or bang one against something. I use Starline and CCI 200 and have never had that problem.

In other words, the link on his autoprime is worn out……….

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have loaded Winchester primers in Starline .45-70 brass without problem.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Goodsteel;n11621 wrote:

In other words, the link on his autoprime is worn out……….

Don’t know what an autoprime is, Tim. He seats his primers with some fancy hand-held something or ‘nuther.

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I think the autoprime is a lee handheld.

I use the RCBS handheld that uses their standard shell holders and some cases with some primers get a little cantankerous. I will rotate the case around and keep reseating the primer to get it just below flush on the onry ones.

But I lucked onto the RCBS bench model of yesterday ….. The one I found also uses standard press type shellholders but is of the vintage just after they bought out Lachmyer …… it has a cam with a handle attached to it. No primer feed ……..

I seat my primers with the handheld as it has a primer tray and sort the high primers out and rerun them on the bench unit.

Prior to this I run most of not all my brass through and recut the pockets judiciously.

My .02 worth anyway

Three 44s

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The auto prime is made by Lee. It is handheld. I loved the old model dearly and seated about 14 gozillion primers with it, but it wor out awful sudden like (wouldn’t seat the primers to full depth). Went to the ram prime and life was good……..and slow.
      Bjorn sent me a new Autoprime and life has been good, but the europian primers are too stiff to seat with that tool. Not that it can’t be done you understand. It’s just hard on the equipment, so I stab em in there with the ram prime.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I use the priming function on the top of my Co-Ax press. Never had anything else to compare to.

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

When I get rich and famous I’d like to get a Coax ……… not that they are any blue blood tool ………. it’s just that something else always gets in the way of buying one for me ………… so getting rich seems the only other way for me!

That said, I see some folks picking on the priming on the Forester Coax but very few on the rest of that press!

I have the Coax priming tool by itself and it’s not my favorite, I think it shares those adjustable jaws as their press does but my main hangup is with how the primer feed tubes interface with the jaws and plunger.

I had a Lee handheld (original) and after some time it snapped.

Then I discovered the RCBS handheld that uses their shellholders and a priming tray. It also has a strap with a notch in it to create some separation between the reserve of primers and the one seated. Mine is getting a little worn after many years but I have a nearly new one in the wings that came in one of my “deals” that keeps me unrich so like is good.

The Lachmyer style RCBS bench tool is my go to for stuborn priming finishing.

Three 44s

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Three44s;n11698 wrote:

That said, I see some folks picking on the priming on the Forester Coax but very few on the rest of that press!

I chose the Co-Ax because the son of a friend of mine is a career Marine and is a sniper. He is on the Marine Sniper Competition team. He was home on leave about the time I was looking for a reloading press. I was at his father’s house when he told me they use the Co-Ax for all their competition work and haven’t found anything to complain about when it comes to what it produces. He said the only complaint any of his cohorts have is it’s not a “flip on the switch automatic bullet makin’ machine”! :rolleyes: That was all I needed to hear. Bought it and haven’t found anything to complain about…………but then it’s my first reloader.

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

Chris C,

You landed about the best there is …….. on the first try no less …… very good on you!

If it had a switch to flip, it would surely run me out of house and home trying to keep it fed ………. LOL!

As to loaded round run out, the Coax press is just a notch before hand dies I am told …… and that’s why your friend’s son told you about their use of it and a pretty died in a wool target shooter told me essentially the same thing about them and one reads that in many sources as well.

Good iron

Three 44s

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks………..I like it.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.