Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Picked up a Herter’s two die set in 308 Win. After seating the bullet to the proper length, I backed off the seating stem and proceeded to adjust the crimp. I finally bumped the shoulder but still no crimp! Checked the case length again. Yep, it is right on. Anyone have knowledge regarding Herter’s dies? Did some or all come without the crimping function? I shined a light through it and it appeared to be straight walled in the neck portion, but it is hard to see that little variation under those conditions.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Not all seating dies will crimp. Many Redding won’t for example. If you really want to crimp your .308Ws I suggest the Lee FCD. That’s what I use when I crimp jacketed bullets in the .308W/7.62 NATO. With cast bullets if I straighten out the case mouth bell it is with a taper crimp die after seating but actually seldom bother.

Larry Gibson

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Thanks Larry, That is the first one I have run into. I just got a new Redding set for 223 that I will check out. I don’t crimp when loading jacketed but I do when loading cast to smooth out the bell. I have a Ruger Hawkeye and I am concerned about consistent chambering. On the 308 the seating die seems to iron out the bell enough to allow all rounds to chamber so I might be over thinking the problem.

Jay

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.