This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Sgt. Mike 3 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn “Ah say ah say, I’ve hooked him! It’s up to you to land him!”
    Fill er up fellers.

Wheel Gun 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 43
    • Overall: 45

I couldn’t believe how much he enjoyed target shooting at steel plates It was obvious that with the amount of ammo we went through he was going to start casting bullets to feed his new found habit. Although something I hadn’t thought of…

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I see swaging as a sign of a man who has given up pretending that he’s saving money casting and decides to just throw in the towel and go for broke. LOL!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 74
    • Overall: 81

Tim, you could not have said it any better!!

Then you get the guy who gets a few sets of swage dies and then decides he can make them himself. Then comes the lathe (the cheap part), then the tooling (the expensive part), then more tooling, oh, and then the tooling that you thought you might be able to do without but figured out real quick that you really DO need it for the job. Oh, yeah, almost forgot, then you gotta buy the tool steel. Hmmmmm……and it all started out as a cheapo Lee single stage reloading kit back in 2008.

How this hobby can evolve….

bullet maker 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 76
    • Overall: 88

Amen to that ICH.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I have refused the urge to swage but over 25 yrsa 12 ga press and a Partner kit have grown into a truck load.of tools .

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

It is written in the great books that

“There is more than one way to skin a cat.!!”

Swaging in my book has turned out to be about as much fun as casting. Yes, the Walnut Hill press and Corbin dies will produce better and far more accurate jacketed heads than any that can be purchased but they are somewhat close to the price of a new GMC pickup. I would much rather have the new pickup but doubt if that will ever happen either.
    Back in the 60’s, dead broke and hanging on by a thread with sometimes only Uncle Adolf’s Mind Tenderizer as a refuge the bunch I ran around with was always looking for a way to find a way to shoot more. Long into many nights we cast and loaded only to take the whole pile out into Golden Gate Canyon and empty every case we had so carefully put together, come next weekend we were back at it. We wanted more. A couple of us had put together 22-250’s but always lacked the funds for proper fodder. Late in one of those all night sessions someone came up with the brilliant idea of making our own jacketed bullets, someone then mentioned they had seen something in a old gunsmithing book. The book we found, the press we made and it was out to the canyon for proper testing.
    Wasn’t worth the time spent. Accuracy was off the scale and we had more than one bullet actually melt before it hit the intended target and that as the end of that.
    Fast forward to a great many more wiser years and I got to thinking of what perhaps we could have done wrong. After all, the man said it worked and it was in print so true it had to be.
    The book I speak of is Advanced Gunsmithing by W.F. Vickery, everything starts about page 377.
    This is a small, very easy to make press that as long as one pays attention will actually make very usable jacketed heads.
    Our problem of the day was we were demanding far more from the whole concept than what it was capable of producing. We were trying to drive a super thinned skinned bullet at too high of a velocity, yes, we actually melted them trying to get to that mythological number of 4000 fps.

Wanting to go back and make a redo, a couple of years ago I made again one of the Vickery press’s and its few simple related dies. Found a .22 cal adjustable core mold on eBay and got a small Harbor Freight cut off saw. The nose shape chosen is close to the old .218 Bee and 25-20 Winchester High Velocity shape.
    This time it was decided to keep all velocities below 3000 fps as these ( .218 Bee .22 Hornet , etc. ) were the calibers of the time. Yes, the early forms of the .22-250, the .22 Arrow, .22 Mercantie Blue Streak and others were out there but this concept was for the small calibers only.
    To this point, one inch groups are most common and now and then you get one that runs close to .500. As long as you don’t let your hair get on fire you will have great luck with the system and produced bullets.
    It’s cheap, simple and very doable, give it a try !!

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Reg great write up.
    A while back I wound up with some of the Hollywood 30 cal Dies,, the press has or rather was the issue with pressing out some.
    I’m looking to do 175grs and below to 110ish for friends currently my dies only support a Flat Base which is fine for most of the ranges I’ll be shooting at (<600).
    Now to get a core swage die to uniform the cores weights.

I noticed that RCE has dropped a lot of jacket in the 30 caliber makes one wonder if he is slipping out of the jacket business.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.