Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Gofaaast
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 6

I will be purchasing one of the 41 mag Henry’s that just came out. For several years I have cast for my 6″ Model 657 and have enjoyed nothing but success in the accuracy department and no leading. I have 2 moulds in 41 caliber, a 210 RCBS and a MP 413640 hp (230 grain solid with coww) and both moulds are plain base. I size to .410 and use RCBS pistol lube. I have never had any leading issues when loading magnum loads with wqcoww +2% in my revolver. Will this be a good alloy for the rifle? If not what should I use.
      Once I know what diameter I need to size to for the rifle I will start the ol load ladder using 2400 and H110. What is the max diameter I can hone a .410 lube die to, before I need to just have a custom made? If if slugs larger than .410. I am wondering if I will need a GC mold to get the most out of this rifle, or will one of the moulds I have now work? The MP mould has a liberal lube groove and the RCBS is a newer one, so maybe only 1/3 the lube capacity of the MP. Should I plan to just use the MP due to this? I have another lubamatic I will dedicate to rifle lube and was also wanting advice on what would be the best lube to use. I am not against making my own and have been wanting to make some. I don’t powder coat but that could be a option if need be, to utilize the moulds I currently have. I plan to deer hunt with it some and I am always thinking fast and flat (I know I need to grow up) and am worried my current magnum revolver loads will lead when pushed to the max for this rifle. I have never loaded cast for rifles before and I am open to advice, suggestions, options, do and don’t from the great minds on this new forum that I am pleased to be a member of. Thanks Goodsteel! and I hope my first post here is not to much.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Welcome sir! Good post!
      41 Mag was Felix’s favorite cartridge.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

We will need Pics when it comes in.
      For the lube department, Carnauba Red really loves the higher pressures of Magnum Pistol rounds. If you don’t want to use a heater, then 2500+ will work well also.
      I’d say give the plain based boolits a good try before ordering a gas checked one.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Gofaaast, I’m sorry I did not answer you as thoroughly as I wanted to before. I have been horribly busy this last week. Here’s the way I see it:

Gofaaast;n2715 wrote: I have 2 moulds in 41 caliber, a 210 RCBS and a MP 413640 hp (230 grain solid with coww) and both moulds are plain base. I size to .410 and use RCBS pistol lube. I have never had any leading issues when loading magnum loads with wqcoww +2% in my revolver. Will this be a good alloy for the rifle? If not what should I use.

lar45 has the answer. 2700+

Once I know what diameter I need to size to for the rifle I will start the ol load ladder using 2400 and H110.

I gave up on ladder tests. They just don’t show me anything. Groups of ten are better, groups of five are what I use to find roughly the place I want to be. Once I think I’m onto something I switch to groups of at least ten.

What is the max diameter I can hone a .410 lube die to, before I need to just have a custom made?

In my opinion, .0015

If if slugs larger than .410. I am wondering if I will need a GC mold to get the most out of this rifle, or will one of the moulds I have now work?

That’s a big IF based on a rifle you do not have yet. Wait till you have the rifle in hand. Use the alloy you mentioned earlier (WQCOWW+2%) and use the lube from lar45 (I can send you a sample pack with a half stick of both 2500 and 2700) and try what you have before ordering anything. I think that GCs help you when they are needed, but they can hurt you when they are not needed. 1400FPS-`1600FPS is big fat grey area with GCs. If you were using a softer alloy, I’d say use annealed GC’s. Seeing as how you are using a very tough alloy, I say kick ’em in the pants and let the rough edge drag.

The MP mould has a liberal lube groove and the RCBS is a newer one, so maybe only 1/3 the lube capacity of the MP. Should I plan to just use the MP due to this?

No. If you are using smokeless powder and modern lube (seriously. Shoot me your address so I can get you these samples) you need very very little lube to get the job done on your bullets. In fact, I have enjoyed great success lubing Lee TL designs with 2700+ from lar45. You can’t get lube grooves much smaller than that in a production mold. My 30XCB bullet uses lube grooves that are only .030 wide and .008 deep, it has three of them, and I have shot those bullets made of alloy similar to what you are using to 2700FPS holding 1.5MOA at the 100 yard line! Here you are with pistol bullets asking if the cavernous lube groove on the RCBS is going to be enough? Yeah, I think you’re covered. LOL!

I have another lubamatic I will dedicate to rifle lube and was also wanting advice on what would be the best lube to use. I am not against making my own and have been wanting to make some.

Again with lar45.
      Here’s his particulars:
      http://www.lsstuff.com/
      This is teh best lube in the world in my humble opinion. Its the only product that could hold up to the speeds we were shooting. I used to make quite a few of my own lubes, but I have since given all that up, because I just can’t hold the consistency that lar45 does in his big batches. His lube is cheap enough that I just can’t justify the mess and expense anymore either.

I don’t powder coat but that could be a option if need be, to utilize the moulds I currently have. I plan to deer hunt with it some and I am always thinking fast and flat (I know I need to grow up) and am worried my current magnum revolver loads will lead when pushed to the max for this rifle.

Cleaning leading out of a barrel is easily done. Don’t worry about it till you need to. Use bullets of the correct size, ditch the RCBS lube, let your bullets harden for a week before you shoot them and let er rip man!

One last thing I would recommend, is that you read my thread: “Just a few tips for new rifle casters” located in the Articles section at the top pf the forum. I think you could get a lot out of it.

Gofaaast
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thank You very much for all the knowledge shared. I am really looking foreword to casting for this rifle once I get it, and stepping out of my comfort zone and expanding it. I will also be casting for some of my other rifles once I aquire the molds and time allows. I will be seeking advice on those when the time comes.

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 37

I am very interested in your progress. I have 6 handguns in 41 mag and have been tempted to find a rifle for it.

Gofaaast
      Participant
      • Bronze

I will keep everyone updated as I progress. I still have a couple shops left to provide me a quote and then will proceeded in procuring one. My thoughts are if I can see the wood grain though before, I might be tempted to give a little more for one on GB with a nice stock. I know “purdy don’t shoot” as the old timers back home always said but it’s hard to beat a shooter that’s purdy.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

For trying different lubes, you don’t have to clean out your luber and load it with a new stick.
      What I do in trying variations of lubes, is to pinch off a pea sized piece and smear it into the lube grooves with a finger. Then run it through your luber, without any pressure on the lube, and it will size and cleanup the bullet. It is fairly easy to do 20-30 bullets of each to try.
      Another way that Tim showed me is to take a tuna can and put a 1/4 stick or so of lube in it, put it on a hot plate on LO, when the lube is melted, you can dip the bullets in and wait for the lube to go liquid around the bullet, then pull it out, wipe the base off on a napkin and set aside to cool. Once the lube looks like it is going to wick up the side, it’s time to take it out. Be careful, the bullets will heat up fairly quickly. Keep the temp on the lube just warm enough to have it melted. For my lubes shoot for 170-180ish.
      Again once you have a bunch lubed, just run through your sizer to clean them up.

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 30

my bad, I change my comment because I wanted to know where you bought it, and then I read.. duh.

still waiting on it.

I am looking for one too!

Gofaaast
      Participant
      • Bronze

I received my quotes from the local shops. $700 OTD is the best, but I was told by two shops that they checked with 7 distributors and they were all out of stock. I am just playing the waiting game now.

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze

I’d like to get one at $700 OTD price. 🙂 hint hint…

41magjh
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6

We’ll finally got a call today mine is in going to pick the baby up tomorrow . I’ve been waiting about three week for it. Now the fun begins when the weather brakes up here and I can hobble to my range . The tkr slows a person down but it’s getting better only been a month .

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Going to keep an eye out for results on this one !!

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze

ok where did you get it? can I call and reserve one?

Gofaaast
      Participant
      • Bronze

Small mom and pop gun shop in NW IL, they know me so no money down. Have to have the infamous foid card though😤

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.