Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 37

The new Henry rifles in 327 magnum are starting to arrive. Now the question is do I want to get the 20″ or 16″ Big Boy Steel?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The Henry rifles are often of questionable barrel quality. They run the dove cutters through fast/drift the sights in with a press that raises a bump in the barrel, and often need to be lapped out if you expect to get an undamaged bullet past the crown. In my opinion, they lean too heavily on the “its a lever action and no one will ever know the difference” attitude. When this attitude is present, I generally think that a shorter barrel is a safer bet. The longer the barrel, the more likely you are to catch a blemish? Of course this has nothing to do with the bumps caused by the dove cuts, but I still hold that long barrels are best reserved for times when you know you have excellent barrel quality.

As an example, that may or may not accurately translate, look at Ruger firearms of yesteryear. The rifles had a pretty solid reputation as 4MOA shooters and many people would not even build a custom rifle on their superb actions, so tenacious was the stain on their precision. On the other hand, the handguns had an excellent reputation for astounding precision (I have a 1971 blackhawk that will ring 6″ steel at 100 yards using 38 special ammo). I figure if you don’t trust the manufacturer to give a dam about the quality of the barrels used in their product, the shorter barrels are a safer bet.

That said, it may not matter, and you should definitely get the one you like the looks of best, and if you go with the 20″ version, you might get lucky, and if the barrel is of decent quality, the length may give you an edge with cast bullets.

That’s all I’ve got.

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze

My thoughts had centered more around handiness versus trying to wring the most out of the cartridge.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, in that case, the 16″ will definitely be more handy. I prefer lever action rifles to have short barrels. Makes them easier to “swing and acquire” IMHO.

Doc44
      Participant
      • Bronze

16 ‘ on order   This will make a dandy little rifle to ride along while bush hogging pastures.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Congratulations!!!!

Yes, if you had mentioned bush hogging in the first place that would have been an easy recommendation. Never ceases to amaze me how little room there is on a big old tractor! Good choice!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I’ve often been tempted to acquire a lever action rifle and single action revolver in .32 H&R mag. Now there is the .327 to add a little more interest. I’m still trying to resist. I really don’t need another caliber to cast and reload for. But, that’s never stopped me yet. It sure is a cute little cartridge ….

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.