Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

I went to the range today to fire my 30-06 and work some 7mm Remington magnum load.

Afterwards I stopped by Goodsteel’s he was busy tuning a rifle for a gentleman whom is confined to a wheel chair.

Tim really did a outstanding job working with the gentleman’s disability. The rifle that Tim did for the gentleman was a Remington 700 in 6.5-284.
      I set there and watched that Gentleman fire three round sub MOA at 100 yards with that rifle in a wheel chair. What is amazing is that he developed a system that a man whom is confined to a wheelchair and unable to hold up a rifle, then fire a rifle that accurately.

I went looking for the original thread that I thought Tim started to no avail, But I do want to say that this rifle was probably Tim’s great build. I just wanted some to know what he does on a lazy sunday.

(BTW if this read badly up I’m watching the debate in between typing)

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Outstanding job!
      Some pics would be great.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have to say I was right proud of Ole Bean.
      I’m sure later on Tim will post some Glenn.
      But I really just wanted to state that I was proud of Tim and his dedication.

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

Awesome, I think I may remember the original thread being over at the CB site.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Thanks Sarge.
      Building this rifle has been one of the great privileges of my career. Tim Carr is the name of the man who owns this rifle.

This man is a hero in my eyes. As a young man,his wild youth got the better of him when the shocks failed on his motocross bike, causing a wreck that permanently disabled him and rendered him a quadriplegic with only 2lb (I measured it) of force in his braced hands.
      A lawsuit was filed and won against the manufacturer of the motorcycle he was riding, but he was a young man when this happened, and there was a lot of time left that no lawsuit would pay for.
      He had two options: slip into depression and die, or fight fight fight for every chance to live.
      He chose to fight for life.
      He went to college and got a degree in law, and became a lawyer. This supported him well enough to find ways to live, and he did so with every opportunity.
      Then he met a wonderful woman by the name of Deb, who came along side of him to help him in his struggles and goals.
      It was then the idea of hunting came into the picture. They attended several local dissabled hunts and were successful. Then they started pursuing bigger game in other states like Wyoming, New Mexico, and Colorado. He upgraded from a small caliber rifle to heavy magnums and successfully took Elk, Mule deer, and Antelope.
      Every year, they learned from the previous experiences and refined their system getting better and better, cheating his disability of its rule over his life one epic adventure after another.
      However, the apparatus he uses for shooting were very custom, and hardly a gunsmith could be found to service them, until they found me. I looked at this amazing person and I was impressed! I looked at the custom shooting system and I was challenged to find a way to help.
      I started out mounting scopes for this gentleman and sighting in his rifles and doing what I can to fit things to his crippled body “correctly” (the concept of a perfect shot is the same no matter how strange the setup is).
      Eventually, it became obvious that if he was going to shoot Antelope at 800 yards to meet his new goals, he was going to need a rifle that actually fit him, and the build was commissioned.
      I spent hours with him watching him shoot, and making notes and trying to put myself in his shoes so I could give him what he didn’t even know he needed.
      Once the parts were ordered, I modified the action so he could manipulate it with the small amount of force he could exert on it, and I cut the stock so that when mounted in his shooting apparatus, it fit him like a glove. Once that was done, I simply built him the finest precision rifle I could muster.
      I blueprinted the action and stoned out the inside with ceramic rods, so it functioned with unparalleled smoothness. The bolt handle was extended, and so was the cocking piece housing. A 20MOA rail was installed and topped with a Nightforce scope.
      The rifle has one of my signature 3/8″ recoil lugs and a Krieger barrel chambered in 6.5X284 Norma Match.
      A superb combination if I ever saw one.

Yesterday they both came for another reloading lesson, and to test the rifle and perfect the final details before the big hunt next week. It took a lot of work, but I was satisfied that they were perfectly set for the hunt of a lifetime next week.
      I’m very thankful to Sgt.Mike for helping me to get them set up!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Here are some pictures of the rifle and of Tim Carr shooting it on my new property.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Goodsteel;n10399 wrote: ……I’m very thankful to Sgt.Mike for helping me to get them set up!

Tim outside helping clean their rifle, sighting through a spotting scope, brother you did all the work and support for their needs.
      And of course my usual acidic banter with you and picking on you trying to get a laugh..
      And as usual you shone through with your skills and caring in getting Mr and Mrs Carr setup for their hunt. Just wanted to brag on you a bit even though I really like to tease you a bit (OK actually every time I can LOL).
      I do honestly think if they can get a antelope in their sights, you have greatly enhanced their ability to harvest one.
      Job well done my friend and you should be commended.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Thanks Sarge.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Why is the cocking piece extended?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

timspawn;n10414 wrote: Why is the cocking piece extended?

He has to Karate chop the bolt shut from behind, and his hand brace could not fit between the scope and the stock, and pushing the bolt put it in enough of a bind that it could not move forward and strip a cartridge at the same time.
      After all the stoning I did, it’s the slickest Remington 700 I’ve ever built (I can literally work the action with one finger), but it was more than 2 pounds, therefore, to Tim Carr, it might as well be locked shut.
      However, I found that he could move it forward and strip the cartridge by tapping the back of the bolt with all his strength, so I TIG welded on the extension so that he could take it all the way forward using this technique, and I fabricated a large button on the rear to get the most out of every tap. Once the bolt is home, all he has to do is apply gentle pressure to the extended bolt knob and the action shuts smooth as glass.

This was a real challenge for these reasons. At no time can you tell this man to “Just lift!” “Just push!” “Just pull!” There’s no “just” about it for Tim Carr. Either I made the rifle go through every single function with only 2lb of pressure, or it was useless to him. I challenge anyone to take your trigger pull gauge and try to manipulate any rifle you own using only 2lb of pressure and you’ll know why I designed the rifle in this way.
      Tim Carr told me he had been refused by several other gunsmiths and had almost given up hope of finding someone to help him.
      True, there was not much monetary profit to this job, but I learned a lot, and I believe it all comes back to us one way or the other, and I need all the help I can get from the Almighty.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I believe you sir may actually be the man your dog thinks you are . Also not a bad mechanic .

The world should have many more like you Tim

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

Got it. It was good talking to you tonight. Thanks for the knowledge!

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Nicely Done Tim ^^^^^^^^^^+100^^^^^^^^^^

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.