Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 19

Colt 1991A1 for a concealable carry gun is a chore. I’ve been wearing it around the house in a kydex holster for a few days and it’s heavy. I’m right-handed and on the right hip, slightly to the rear is my only possible option so far. I need to hear from other 1911 carriers that at least somewhat happy carrying a pistol of this size and weight. I am more than willing to purchase a good holster. I need really good holster and carry position suggestions that are working good for other members.
      I’m also ready to fall back to option #2, a good hammerless 38.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873
      Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

If your doing IWB first thing is you need a good supporting gun belt to take and spread the weight, wrong belt sags and strangles you.
      What I use if summer special –
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/453156/el-paso-saddlery-summer-cruiser-inside-the-waistband-holster-right-hand-1911-government-leather-natural

Depending upon your wardrobe under arm is good too
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-FmrnqABQ

Depending upon your build
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-59UbMOC8

I also have others that will work inside the waist band
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zwKMAYPvM

But have been looking at this for my smaller carry guns
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8TWD9kWoVo

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I have a sure fire solution to your problem. Just pack it up in a box and send it to me. No one will ever suspect you’re carrying it ever again. LOL!

On a serious note:
      Never forget that people see what they want to see. I’ll bet you could strap that puppy on your hip with no concealment whatsoever, and take a stroll through the grocery store and half the people who see you wouldn’t even notice. Concealment is all about hiding it enough to let people believe what they want. Best thing you can do is dress nicely so it’s easy for people to stereotype you as a “good guy” at a glance.
      I remember once I was in the store and I needed to reach something on the top shelf. When I reached for it, my shirt rode up and exposed my sidearm. I put the item in the cart and noticed a fellow in my peripheral vision who had seen my gun. His actions were typical. In a matter of seconds he looked me up and down, decided I was not a threat, then decided he might have been mistaken about what he had seen. He just put his head down and kept shopping.
      I learned several things from that situation, not the least of which was to not reach with my right.

I am of the opinion that a nice IWB holster is worth the money. You want something comfortable, wear a shirt over it, and call it a day. If you get the chance to buy an Officer’s length 1911, I highly recommend.
      The holster that Sarge posted is the cats meow. Notice the thumb snap covers the hammer so carrying cocked and locked has one more measure of safety. DeSantis makes fantastic gun leather for a very reasonable price.

jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze

I like this holster, do you carry with it? It’s very similar to my kydex holster minus the thumb snap.

jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks, the belt is high on my list.

jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze

I do need to send you a box, I have a mod 70 fwt that needs an extractor, buts that’s another subject. I think an Officer’s model would be a great choice if I ever give up on the full size 1911. It’s this time of year I’m wanting to conquer, lightweight summer clothing is the only real challenge. The shirt will def be out and the holster Sarge recommended looks like my fav so far. Is that what you carry?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I used to carry a 1911 officers model, but I sold it to fund my borescope (who in God’s green earth is going to tangle with a 300lb, blue collar, Stetson wearing hombre’ like me anyways?).
      That said, my next 1911 will be a Ruger or S&W full size, and I wouldn’t hesitate to carry using the holster Sarge recommended.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Obviously a 300 lb druggie or a 120 lb druggie or a 150 lb muzzie – it ain’t the sane ones you have to worry about.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

OK, that’s true, but if I’m near the truck I’ll have a mil-spec Mauser in my hands real fast, and if I’m in the shop, there’s a loaded 10 gauge SXS leaning against the bench at all times. If that doesn’t trip their Danger Will Robinson, I don’t know what will.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

http://www.comp-tac.com/qh-10574

I used this when I carried a 1911. It worked well and I liked that it was tuckable.

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

I have a in the pants style, but I prefer a shoulder holster. I have almost no ability to get the thing out of my belt if I have a seat belt on, also being a bit over weight, I can pull either off easily.

jedomejd
      Participant
      • Bronze

That’s very similar to what I’m trying to use now except mine is fitted to the 1911. Did you need a pants size bigger for fit when carrying?

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.