Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Some may not believe it. Some may question my sanity or my mental constitution……..but I now own a AR-15 rifle.

It was built by a friend who’s into that sort of thing and has a bit of a reputation around here for building solid AR’s. It’s got Aero Precision upper and lower receivers, Mil-Spec parts, extended takedown pins, flat top forend, and a fluted 1-9 twist barrel with a birdcage. Feller wants me to build him a precision carbon rifle and offered this AR to me as payment for labor, and I accepted.

I’ve got a Vortex Scout scope on order for it. So far, it runs like a top, but I’m still looking at it like a turtle with two heads. I’ve built them, shot them, and worked on them, but I’ve never owned one, or considered it until this year.

So I guess I’m all tacticool now. LOL!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Tacky cool …… Or something . The parts sound like a winning combination .

I thought for sure it was snowing again or something . I want to check out that scope when I get back there , you outta have the new worn off it by then .

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Great news, I also got an AR recently, never expected to, but you know

how life is 🙂

Mike

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I got one as I was headed for afghanistan, that was the last LGS between the Sandy hook thing, and before the prices got silly. that was about 2012 and I still haven’t got it out of the box.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I purchased my first one(s) in June of 2016. I like so many other Americans had no idea that hell would freeze over that November. I figured I would get a couple while the getting was good before the hildabeast got elected and took them all away.

The first one was a 300 blk that I assembled from parts. While I was assembling it I became a bit of a fan of their design.

My second was a no name purchased from the LGS. He had a former Marine armorer doing his assembly. I must say that he evidently knew what he was doing because that silly rifle is just stoopid accurate.

Like you, Tim, I have built custom rifles and taken great pains to make them accurate and beautiful. I had no use for a black plastic rifle that has no soul. I say now I have to change my tune and give the little rifles their due. They are truly a hoot to shoot.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!!!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I still remember some years ago, all us boys would gather at a private property each month or so. All of us were gun nuts, and we had a couple berms. Every time we got together it was like a gun show, everybody telling of their newest toy. One day was a particular big turnout, stories and bullets were flying !!!  AR’s, AK’s, old-school, new-school, it was all there.

Then at a right time, somebody said, “Alright, everybody’s magazines in the box”, and so they did.

Then he says, “grab the mag on top, who can empty it first”

Well that went over real good, the smoke & brass was flying !!!

Half the guys with the AR’s jammed, wouldn’t run, or mag didn’t fit, err something or other.

ALL the guys with AK’s ran through ALL the ammo, they just ate any ammo from any mag.

That little incident has stuck in my mind ever since.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I haven’t found those I have access to, to be particularly picky . They do have 1 mag type and brand per caliber so maybe that makes a difference . I had ATI Omni Hybrid that met all of the complaints . Most of which went away as “the rough edge wore off”. Later Anderson lowers got assembled with Mossberg or Wilson blem/2nd upper assemblies and GI semi auto parts . They really are Chevy’s , parts interchange for 50 yrs , a million after market parts and it can be smoking hot rod show boat or an appliance white work horse . Either way they still lack something they just aren’t warm ……..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I hear ya on that one Kens. When my buddy handed me this rifle, he mentioned that it had not been test fired yet, but that it had been built with good quality parts so “it should work”. Here at my shop, NOTHING leaves without being test fired so I’m thinking “Oh brother, here we go”. He had some polymer magazine there and I had a bunch of Tula ammo on the shelf, so I stuffed thirty rounds in the magazine, and just pointed it with the rail and ripped off all 30 like my life depended on it (I’m an asshole when it comes to weapons that could be used in a tense situation. If they jam, I won’t own them.) Anyway, it never jammed once. I guess I ended up putting 75 rounds through it without a hitch.

I just jumped on Cyber Monday sales and ordered up 300 Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings per Larry Gibson’s recommendation, a Vortex Scout scope, and Warne rings. I’ll experiment with it.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

On the subject of AR’s,,,,,,

I see most of them toss brass into the next county, and sometimes I see one dropping brass at the guys feet.

What gives?

Harter
        Participant
        • Gold
        • ★★★

I see most of them toss brass into the next county, and sometimes I see one dropping brass at the guys feet.

What gives?

Part of it is the loads . Part of it is the gas porting . Part of it is the system balance , buffer , spring , bolt carrier , gas volume/pressure .

An adjustable gas block can be used to tame hot loads in a well balanced rifle and tame standard loads in an over gassed , eroded or oversized gas port . They will allow a broader range of loads and tune ejection . Just another $50 part .

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

Tim if you only bought 300 you need more soon.

the lowest cost here is 55 fmg from campro I have a least 1k of them, i also have a 1k of the hornady sp , Plus other stuff and I dont shoot much .. but it is cheaper when i Buy them in large lots

I am far from a expert on the AR but from what I have seen the pistol length gas system has the most problems.

carbine or rifle gas system have the least problems.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Ar’s are like contenders .. they tend to bred in the dark of a gun safe

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

no, they not breeding, I got one in the closet that has been nothing more than a hermit for over 5 years, I think its gay.

A REAL rifle is something like a MAUSER, 8mm, bright blue, & Walnut.

or, a Springfield, 30-06, bright blue, Walnut.

now, those have been breeding in the closet !!!!

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

So which custom caliber upper will be the first on the list?  Or are you going to keep it a 223?

I’ve been looking at the 375 Socom for awhile.

“Typical .375 SOCOM loads will launch a 200gr bullet 2400+ feet per second from an 18” barrel.”

http://www.tromix.com/375-socom-parts.html

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Plus a strong ejector spring. Actually I like a 4 o’clock but don’t stand there when I’m shooting the 308.  Makes it easy to pick up my bras at the range, no crawling under the bench – just walk back to the rifle case and bend over.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I may very well do a 375 SOCOM Glenn. It’s an amazing cartridge and has nearly identical case capacity to the 358WCF.

However, for the moment, I’m going to spend some time getting my feet wet with 223.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I case anyone wonders if an AR in 223 is a viable hunting rig, here is my submission for proof. 60 gr. hornady soft point powered by 25.5 gr of TAC @ approx. 3000 fps. Range was in the neighborhood of 125 yds and he was facing me. Put one in the white patch and dropped as if struck by lightning.

This is the rifle I mentioned earlier that is just stupid accurate. It has no right to be that accurate but it is. It has no warmth nor soul but it is one hell of a shooter.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

thats the shot I been dreaming of for many seasons. The head up and looking at you, when shooting offhand you get a lot of vertical stringing of groups, and that white patch neck shot would do well with vertical stringing.

Let him have it !!!

Good job !!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I’ve been dabbling in ARs since 2010. While they are not beautiful as nice wood and don’t have octagon barrels, they are quite functional. Some can be finicky until you figure out what ails them. Price isn’t everything. My first AR has a carbon fiber lower by Plum Crazy and a Stag Arms upper. Don’t know who made the barrel. It is the cheapest one I have, and eats everything from any magazine.

One of my nephews shot a whitetail buck (about 175 lbs with three to a side, photo below) with his AR in .223 using Federal 62 gr Fusion ammo. Perfect broadside shot through the lungs, the slug exited. Deer stood there for a bit, the fell over dead. He uses the same rig on feral hogs (largest so far about 150 labs).

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That’s some excellent results right there!

But now I have to make an AR with an Octagon barrel…….

Rattlesnake Charlie
        Participant
        • Gold
        • ★★★
        • Comments: 679
        • Overall: 831

But now I have to make an AR with an Octagon barrel…….”

I’ll take one while you’re at it.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Sounds interesting – Octagonal Barrel deserves wooden furniture

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

About blooming Time Tim….. LOL

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.