Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

From a June 30, 2016 post on The Firearm Blog I gleaned the following summary and status.

The Hearing Protection Act would effectively do is eliminate the $200 Tax Stamp required for silencers and change the way you purchase them. Instead of going through a trust process or a long NFA background check, silencers would fall under the same category as traditional firearms requiring only a Federal NICS check.

It currently has 76 Co-Sponsors (74 Republicans/ 2 Democrats) with 435 total members in the House of Representatives. That translates into just 17.5% of our representatives openly backing the bill so far.

Aside from the increase in Co-Sponsors, no action has been taken on the bill since November 23rd of last year. That is when the Hearing Protection Act was referred to the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations. Sadly, it has sat there ever since.

Source: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/30/happened-hearing-protection-act-sadly-nothing-far/

Info on Congress.gov shows the bill now has 81 co-sponsors, but shows the bill still sitting in the Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, Homeland Security, and Investigations.
      https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799/all-info

All of the U.S. Representatives from my home state are sponsors.
      Kansas 1st – Tim Huelskamp (R) (2011-present)
      Kansas 2nd – Lynn Jenkins (R) (2009-present)
      Kansas 3rd – Kevin Yoder (R) (2011-present)
      Kansas 4th – Mike Pompeo (R) (2011-present)

If your representatives are not sponsors, I urge you to contact them and get them on board.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Will do!!!!
      Im 100% for this.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I sent Email to both Hari Reid and Dean Heller ……… Dean is a turn coat apparently and a Hari minion and the Cathleen Mastoe Hari’s replacement is even worse . Tim you better give me the details for my new Reps I’m down to 14 months and after this erection I see me wanting out even more . I never thought I’d take the swamp over the desert but the city rats have forced this desert rat to find a new nest……

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Reid and Heller are U.S. Senators. The bill is stuck in a House committee.

Nevada 1st – Dina Titus (D) (2013-present) (also served 3rd 2009-2011)
      Nevada 2nd – Mark Amodei (R) (2011-present)
      Nevada 3rd – Joe Heck (R) (2011-present)
      Nevada 4th – Cresent Hardy (R) (2015-present)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

@Harter66:
      The Arkansas senators are Tom Cotton and John Boozman. Solid republicans especially if you ducttape a 2X4 to Boozman’s backbone.
      The representatives are Bruce Westerman, Steve Womack, French Hill, and Rick Crawford. All republicans, and I’ve personally met most of them. Pretty solid gentleman for the most part. French Hill and Tom Cotton both took special interest in my predicament with the gunsmithing issue and Tom Cotton came out of the gate swinging. Most of these guys keep the wax out of their ears and I’m proud of them.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Contact the committee members as well. They are the ones holding it up, 10-6 republicans. Of course Sheila Jackson is on it. This may change soon – I hope.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Emails all in I guess those guys just keep me the most angery .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I can understand that.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

The can should have never been straddled with the tax stamp to begin with, but that was before our time. Other NFA’s sure I can sorta see.
      I would love to see this passed, the tax stamp has always been what has prevented me from owning a couple of these. I do not see the requirement of paying the Gov’t a fee for me to own something.

Doughty
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 7

I don’t think it is really any different than paying a fee to vote. You can see that, sorta, can’t you?

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

No it’s really more like paying a special tax or permit fee to mount a magnifying sight vs a V and bead .

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Silencers are illegal to own or construct in the state of Delaware they will try to put you under the jail if you are caught with one here.
      all of our federal representatives are card carrying libs and anti gun so contacting them is a complete waste of time and effort ask me how I know this ( I have been through the forum letter marry-go -round assistant phone calls thanking me for my input ETC……) a major windfall pork barrel offer would not get them on that list of sponsors
      Good Luck for all of you I sincerely hope it gets passed
      Tony

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Big push needs to come after Jan 20.

Larry Gibson

Blackwater
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 1

I think you’re likely right, Larry. And to put it forth while Barry is still in house would be a folly. Sometimes, ya’ gotta’ know when to hold ’em, so you can take action when it’s likely to do some good. I sure hope this is the reasoning being adhered to! I want at least 2 silencers, one for .22 LR and a .35 for everything else. I just refuse to pay $200 for a “mother may I!”

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Menner;n11653 wrote: Silencers are illegal to own or construct in the state of Delaware they will try to put you under the jail if you are caught with one here.
      all of our federal representatives are card carrying libs and anti gun so contacting them is a complete waste of time and effort ask me how I know this ( I have been through the forum letter marry-go -round assistant phone calls thanking me for my input ETC……) a major windfall pork barrel offer would not get them on that list of sponsors
      Good Luck for all of you I sincerely hope it gets passed
      Tony

This will stop if they are removed from the NFA. If removed from the NFA they will be treated like the PPE that they are. I find it odd that DE allows SBRs and AOWs but not the other NFA items. So you can build a pipe bomb, pay for the stamp, receive it and then set off said pipe bomb. Makes complete sense to allow that but deny citizens the use of silencers. Kent and Sussex counties suffer because of New Castle. I really like “slower lower” Delaware and the taxes are really appealing. But their gun laws prevent me from even considering moving there. I’ll just continue to cross the state line to make “larger” tax free purchases 😎

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

I told you the other day we would be more than happy to give you guys everything that is not between the bridges
      LOL
      Tony

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Give it to Jersey. We don’t want Wilmington and Newark :p

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.