This topic contains 17 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  WCM 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’m taking this purely from Hollywood, so take it with a grain of salt, but my curiosity is aroused.
    Recently, my wife and I were enjoying an old episode of the black and white Robin Hood show, staring Richard Greene. In this particular episode there was a scene where Fryer Tuck (Alexander Gauge) had a brace of pheasant or similar poultry (I forget the exact species) and he remarks how perfect they will taste after hanging for three days, but then expresses remorse as the third day is Friday and he will not be able to indulge in them.
    I know it’s Hollywood, and there was little care given at that time to accurately represent anything, but it’s one of those details that sticks in my mind and won’t let go. Have you ever heard of this, or know what process was being referred to/taken out of context etc etc etc? I know hanging beef and deer makes for some tender eating, but I would have thought it dangerous to apply this philosophy to poultry of any kind.
    Any insight?

bjornb 
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 163
    • Overall: 176

Back in Norway my dad would remove the ducks’ innards, then let them hang by their necks in the garage for 3 days. He would never let us eat birds that hadn’t had the hanging treatment. Now remember our duck season would run during cold season, so temps in his garage would be in the 30s. This form of tenderizing certainly made for some excellent eating.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 678
    • Overall: 830

Info from a reliable source, Hank Shaw, Hunter, Angler, Gardner, Cook.

http://honest-food.net/?s=hanginer+birds

bjornb 
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 163
    • Overall: 176

Great article Charlie. Looks like my old man just didn’t go far enough……

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

I have seen an account somewhere from an old English game keeper, saying he hung pheasant until they dropped from the head. I’d pass on that.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

I don’t know about all that. Have found out through the years that the bigger boys would lie to you just to see what you would do.

Pheasants do tend to be a bit tough I think just because of the way they live, age may have something to do with the degree of toughness no doubt but I think they come out of the shell case hardened.

We get a few every year. Just skin and quarter them then boil for a bit before cooking them any way you want, they are good.
    Letting them hang for a few days with innards in or out ?? Don’t think I would be any more interested in doing that than I would be about putting the munch on a deer I would find laying dead in the woods.

Guess I am just too fussy.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I think it is like hanging beef or hogs, an accepted practice. First thing to do after killing is to gut and then cool as fast as possible. Hank Shaw details the appropriate temperatures. I’m going to try it with one I have in the freezer before cooking it.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 525
    • Overall: 579

Some meats are better when aged, why not pheasant or poultry?
    Ham, is a aged pork
    Corned beef, is a aged beef.
    I did a corned venison, it was good
    What is the aged duck in Chinese, Peking Duck??
    There is dried fish, in asia. smoked fish too (I can attest to goodness of smoked fish)
    I suspect the only thing the pheasant needs is a good recipe for aging.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Seems like I heard something like that long ago myself…..

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

actually hanging game (fowl) for three days was an English custom, there was a bit more done to it than just hanging the bird beak down.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 787
    • Overall: 857

My Dad’s Dad did a stint on a cruise ship to Fiji ,circa 1928-30 , the cook swore by hanging geese 3 days on the after deck even on the equator for the captains table , so take this with a grain of salt they may well have been pickled .

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

I remember reading a recipe for pheasant under glass many years ago. The thing that sticks in my head was the birds preparation. It was beheaded, then hung with a tie around it’s neck until the skin turned blue!! No mention of eviscerating and it specifically called for not letting it bleed out. I make a common claim that I’ll eat anything that doesn’t eat me first. But there may be a few exceptions!:eek:

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Has anyone here actually hung their birds to age?
    I’ll report on how my adventure turns out.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

I’ve often let the birds age, but never as long as the author of the article. To be honest though I’m fine with butchering them after they hang for a day. I prefer the amenability of mild pheasant flesh to seasoning with various herbs and spices.

Just had Mango Chutney pheasant last night with fresh mangoes alongside sweet potatoes and corn. I have the most fun experimenting with different ways to prepare the birds and with my good Brittany bird dog, we manage quite a few every year. I often steam the flesh or in the case of the bird last night, an egg and flour basting to the breasts and then lightly fried in olive oil.

I might add that during various tours in Asia and the Philippines, I’ve often seen waterfowl hanging outside. Over there, they usually hang ’em de-feathered. Probably due to the heat.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Sounds mighty tasty.
    I only got one this year while scouting for deer.

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 292
    • Overall: 293

FIL did it, had a Lab that got in trouble taking pheasant off other’s porches, so pretty common in German neighborhood.

Scharfschuetze 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 190
    • Overall: 193

popper;n13943 wrote: FIL did it, had a Lab that got in trouble taking pheasant off other’s porches, so pretty common in German neighborhood.

Now that’s a smart Lab, although apparently not quite cleaver enough to get away with it! 🙂

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 368
    • Overall: 398

My grandfather use to hang up the crows he shot, but for a different reason.
    He said it made an example out of them and kept the others from stealing pecans.

He also said public hangings of people would help prevent crime.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us