Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Here’s a pattern I’m working on for a custom 22 rifle. Nice full wrap in AAA Bastogne walnut.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

That looks real nice!

Ribbons like that are a real PITA!!!!!!!!!! Great execution.

They are almost mandatory on that type of pattern though.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

You have more patience than me.  Great job.   (I’m more of a don’t force it, use a bigger hammer fellow)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Its all in the wrist fellers. I’m about 30 hours into this checkering now. (I put in 12 hours straight on the for end patterns today alone).

Heres what I’ve got so far:

I don’t know what the future of checkering will be, but its going to be a lot more expensive since Dem-Bart and Gunline are both going out of business at the same time. I cannot get spacing cutters so a great deal of these patterns were cut by eye, the old fashioned way, and that takes TIME. I have debated getting a rotary tool, but I do not know if it is flexible enough to allow me to cut a wrap such as demonstrated in the OP. I have a hard enough time hitting all the angles with hand checkering cutters, files and chisels, let alone a fat motorized one.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Finished. These patterns required 45 hours to produce give or take. The Bastogne walnut is a bear to cut and it fights you the whole way wreaking havoc on the cutting tools with its mineral rich grain structure.

This is a full wrap around the wrist of a pistol grip which I have not seen executed this well. I have a trick for connecting the lines on the face of the grip, and I think it looks very acceptable.

What do you think?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

Looks real nice. I have done enough checkering to know how difficult wrap arounds are to accomplish. At best I have achieved only acceptable results, none that I would want to show off. It can be done, I’ve seen pictures of it, but as yet have not been able to do it successfully.

Bravo!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Wow, you’ve done an excellent job.  What type of wood preservative will you use to finish the stock?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I use Chem-pak Gun Sav’r Custom Oil.

It is by far my favorite gun finish. It’s tough as nails, and responds well to hand rubbing (which is what I have done here).

The stuff is so great, I finished my entire workbench top with it. I’ve been hammering, torching, filing, and scraping things on this top for a year now, and dousing it regularly with various chamicls, epoxies, cleaners and penetrating oils, and it’s still going strong.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.