Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Our buddy Obama just got happy with his pen again.
      Back door gun control. Did he go after ammo? Guns?
      Nope. He sighted an executive order making it so a lot of gunsmiths will close shop, and many who would have gotten into this already difficult trade will never get started in the first place.
      A smith will soon not dare to thread a barrel or rebarrel ol Betsy without having payed $2250 PER YEAR for the privilege of working on your firearms.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

Craig
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 8

I just saw that. It seems since a frontal attack on the 2nd won’t accomplish their end game, they are going after it from every other angle. Disgusting!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Disgusting?
      I’ll be disgusted later. Right now, it’s downright painful!!!!
      How would you like to be going along your marry way and have the president of the USA make a stroke of his pen that forces you to pay a $2250 per year tax or risk a million dollar fine and improsonment?
      That’ll wake you up faster than a stiff cup of coffee.

Craig
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 8

Not to mention it will probably require you to change/add to your insurance policy and at significant cost as well. Start to let all your customers know now that a price increase is on its way and why to make people aware who might not otherwise. I was a licensed contractor in CA for 20+ years and had the samething happen a few times though not the prez obviously.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have written my representative and made him aware of my thoughts on this matter.
      Also emailed my ATF agent to find out when I have to shoulder this burden.
      This is a kick in the head fellers. A real kick in the head.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I am sorry to hear that.
      I wanted to be a gunsmith once. Even went to Trinidad, Co and took some courses.

Looks like we are being hit from every angle,and the future doesn’t look too good either.
      If Hillary goes in, it is just the beginning.
      Like the wicked Witch on the Wizard of Oz once said.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

If enough people raise hell like they did on green tip 556 issue it should get changed.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I figure whatever the Democrats can’t ban, they will tax.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It doesn’t have to be this way. It’s like conservative America hasn’t spoken in so long, they forgot how. I was talking to a good, God fearing, freedom loving man recently in my shop. I made him aware of a few important issues and told him how important it is that we use our first amendment rights so we don’t have to use our second amendment rights. He didn’t even know who his representatives are by name. How in the world do his representatives know what he wants?!?!?!
      I pulled out my phone and taught him how to do a google search for his representatives.
      Then I showed him how if you tap on their picture, a dialogue box drops down and one of the options says “Email your senator”.
      I explained that if I clicked that tab, I could tap out all my thoughts in an email and hit “sumbit”.
      Voila.
      He said: “Wow, I didn’t know it was so easy. I need to do that.”

There are so many that have told me that “if they come for my guns, I’m not going down without a fight”. They don’t seem to realize that by the time that happens, we’ve already lost!
      My thought is: “Man. It’s been real nice knowing ya. Could you do me a favor and write a couple emails before you go down in your blaze of glory?” “Just tell a few people who work for you in Washington exactly what it is that you care so deeply about before you go OK?”

You want to know how freedom is squeezed out of America? You’re looking at it. With just a flick of a pen and a flourish of keyboard strokes, suddenly what I was making a living at yesterday is enough to permanently bankrupt me and get me thrown in prison today.
      What about the next step? What if they then flick the pen, and specify the wording just a little bit more? It’s only a word or two away from making every single person a felon if they modify their rifles in any way or make custom “more effective” ammo for them.

I appeal to every freedom loving person who reads my words:

WRITE TO THE PEOPLE WHO CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR YOU.
      DO IT NOW.
      WE HAVE GOT TO MAKE IT KNOWN THAT OUR ARMS WILL NEVER BE SURRENDERED, BUT NEITHER WILL OUR RIGHTS TO USE THEM, WORK ON THEM, AND MODIFY THEM AT OUR WHIM AND FEED THEM. IT’S ALL PART OF THE SAME PACKAGE!!!!!!

It’s time to stop strumming our lips while our freedom is negotiated away. The vision of the left is to compromise with us gun owners. They’ll let us keep our guns, but there will be no way to get ammunition or components, and when your firearms break it will be too expensive to repair them.
      I say we roll up that compromise and tell the libtards to shove it where the sun don’t shine!
      It’s time to let our representatives hear what a conservative mob sounds like for once!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Take it for what it’s worth but I am afread we have only seen the tip of the iceburg.

Daniel
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 25
      • Overall: 28

Writ, but DO something. VOTE TRUMP. If you don’t like Trump, tell me who the alternative candidate is who can do better.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

This is what I am writing to all of my representatives

Hello, I am writing to inform you of my concerns about putting Gunsmiths out of business.
      “On Friday July 22, 2016, the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (“DDTC”) released a letter issuing guidance on the requirement of firearm manufacturers and gunsmiths to register with DDTC under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (“ITAR”).”

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

This tax of $2250 per year will be a heavy burden for a local Gunsmith to bear and will likely put many small shops out of business.
      Why lump Gunsmiths in with firearm manufacturers if all they do is perform minor repairs on Grandpa’s old rifle or mount a scope? These Gunsmiths provide a much needed service to their communities and should not be the target of such Gun Hate legislation.

Please look into this situation and help to protect our rights.
      Thank you for taking the time to hear my concerns.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

The ITAR is under the State Dept not ATF. It is paid to them directly, when I was looking to set up to sell custom jacketed bullets that is the way ITAR is done.
      https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/itar.html

ATF does not enforce the Regulations pertaining to this part. The state depatment does.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

“d) The systemized production of ammunition, including the automated loading or reloading of ammunition;”
      OH Sh*t does this mean that my Dillon 550 will be covered under this clause?
      It also says that the new law can be retroactively applied!!!

sys•tem•a•tize

(ˈsɪs tə məˌtaɪz)

v.t. -tized, -tiz•ing.
      to arrange in or according to a system; reduce to a system; make systematic.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I was looking into doing custom swaged bullets almost a year ago the ITAR is what I ran into and questioned how does one start a business under these conditions.

The ITAR is a flat rate whither doing bullets, producing gunpowder, or accuracy enhancement with this last respect which originally deals with barrels and parts. The issue is that the state department assumes that all goods can be exported. Therefore they want the taxes paid whither one does or does not export.

Lars i suspect you are safe with a dillion it will probably be the guy that setsup multiple line but then again that will be under the state department discretion not ATF or common sense.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The difference is whether you are selling your reloads or not.
      Most of the guys you see at the gun shows selling reloads are doing so under the radar. There’s no way they could afford to pay 2250 per year.
      That may be what I have to do also, but I have prided myself on being completely above board, legal, and legit from day one.

Here is the letter I sent to Tom Cotton and similar letters have been sent to several other representatives:

Dear sir,
      I am writing to you as an appeal for help.
      am a gunsmith, and I build beautiful rifles and handguns for sporting use. The guns I build are intended as heirloom quality rifles with deep bluing, hand cut checkering, and pearl inlays. I utilize precision barrels from companies such as Lilja, Shilen, Brux, Bartlien, Broughton, and Krieger to provide my clients with gorgeous rifles that shoot as good as they look. I have been in business since 3-21-12 and my business has been growing. I have paid my taxes both local and federal, and I have been growing my business with hard work and a dedicated ethic.
      However, I was made aware that on 7-22-16 the DDTC has stated that most of the work I do now falls under “manufacturing” and worse, I must now subject myself to outrageous ITAR fees and red tape to the tune of $2250 PER YEAR!!!! The penalty for failing to comply with this enormous expense is a fine of 1 million dollars and up to ten years in prison FOR EACH VIOLATION (a violation in this case consists of performing any number of hundreds of tasks that are a normal part of doing business daily as a gunsmith).
      Sir, this is unreasonable and foolish in the extreme. There is hardly any way I can comply with this at the level I operate at! I am being taxed and legislated out of business by the very government that is sworn to protect me from tyranny!!!
      I have spoken to several people and said “Please tell me this isn’t real. Please tell me my own government isn’t doing this to me” with the resounding answer being: “It is, and they are”.

Sir, please help me. Please help all of those like me!!!! Are we now in a dictatorial state of government where we are told what business we can operate without fear of governmental harassment????
      The job of an American gunsmith is dangerous and low paying as it is, and this just makes it that much harder. What can I do?!?!?
      I have always prided myself on complying with any reasonable red tape that goes with the business, but if this were in place when I started, I never could have made it off the ground. This edict is completely UNREASONABLE, INTOLERABLE, UNJUST, ILLOGICAL, and OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
      What can I do?
      If I and my fellow gunsmiths are really expected to pay $2250 per year along with wading through all the red tape that goes with it, we can also put that money and time to better use fighting this tooth and nail.

This is not democracy. This is the edict of a cruel dictator who does not care to work for the citizens who employ him.
      This cannot be allowed to stand! The local American gunsmith is one of the oldest and most respected trades this nation has ever known, and this could be the end of that genre of small business. What other business in the nation could honestly be expected to accept this?
      I feel I am being robbed and persecuted by my government, and I cannot accept this!
      I ask you again, WHAT CAN I DO??????

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I am only 1 man , beyond my my family unit and marginally some sort of a weird tribe of questionable integrity ,as in to hold together, there is little I can do . Sure I can write 100 letters but they fall on the blind eyes of the like of Hari Reid and frankly you may as well get used to Dean Heller being his 2nd .

Letters even enmass will accomplish little more than make money for the post office .
      E-mail gets dumped into a I’m awesome this is what I’m doing to you in this category automated message. What’s the point besides aggrevating yourself ?
      Of course I keep writing …..to blind eyes and deaf ears but maybe if just once……

So much for the the bolt peep on the 92″ or th new 16 twist barrel or the rimless ,much less rimmed 45 Mauser those day dreams are basically gone as well .

The black and white would appear to criminalize something so mundane
      ,if I read what I read correctly , as changing a front sight that requires file work to have correct POI yourself out in the shop. The firing pin for that cheap O/U that you hacked out on the drill press is now a $150 repair ,. Titanium firing pin for that 98’or the 03′ even the the 700 ,wolf spring kits, all gone or at a minimum double s in cost and by the way has to be done by someone who has to charge $100/hr just to keep the doors open . The Elmer ‘s and Ackley’s are basically gone, fixing a leade or a forcing coNE ,lapping a choke , even fitting a new stock ,adding or removing tip pressure becomes a pay job . Imagine a dropped rifle at deer camp has to go back to town to fix a minor ding that could be fixed with a ball lap on the crown. …..

If ol George isn’t turning over now then I don’t know what it will take.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The ITAR it is targeted to exported items however it hits domestic items because the argument is that it might be exported.
      A 2K tax does keep businesses from starting as it prevent a profit.
      The ITAR should only be paid if or when the Item(s) if the item is exported, much it was as originally signed by congress, this was modified by the State Department much like the ATF rulings. These rulings should not be treated as laws, as the law makers did not write those sections. It should only be considered law once Congress approves the rulings.
      While this is my concern, Tom might not take up the fight on this then again he might. This was done under the Clinton and continued in the Obama administration. If the current Candidate of the Democrat party is allowed to be in power expect more to pay for some others “entitlements’.

The AECA ( Arms Export Control Amendment) was based on the UN resolutions 1540 recently and UN Arms Trade Treaty that was started in 1996. Because of that treaty Congress passed 22 U.S.C 2778. 22 U.S.C. 2778 of the Arms Export Control Act (AECA) this is what drive the ITAR, it provides the authority to control the export of defense articles and services, and charges the President to exercise this authority
      Executive Order 11958, was amended, and delegated this statutory authority to the Secretary of State.

If one is astute in reading the verbiage of the Munitions Listing (aka UML) and the supporting opinions offered in the State Department issuance. Software, food , water, and or any services can be added at will to this act. 22 U.S.C 2778 needs to be amended to congressional control (approval / ratification) vs. the Executive Branch loose interpretation. This was originally enacted to control export of mines, munitions and implements of war such as rocketry, not as a method to tax businesses nor as methods to reduce a persons ability to start a business.
      Just my thoughts on the matter.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Hark !!!!!!!!!!!!
      All might not be lost yet. This is starting to make the rounds.

Applicability of the ITAR Registration Requirement to Firearms Manufacturers (Publish).pdf

Hope I up loaded this correctly. Might need a lawyer to interpret this but I think from what I see and read, we are OK.

The catch 22 I base this on is in Section 1 and just below Para H
      And I quote.

If you are not manufacturing, exporting, temporary importing or brokering defense articles or services you are not required to register with DDTC.

I am not a lawyer by any means but it appears to me what they are getting at is as long as you are not working on, making or whatever any article that could be called a article for the defense dept, then you should be OK.

BUT !! I see where this could also be interpreted a ” military style ” weapon. In other words they don’t care about your Remington 700 but watch out— this is a direct back door to all AR and similar platforms.

Comments ???????????

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The 1 I read the other day left the impression that any alteration for the improvement of accuracy or cartridge or any machine work alteration of the barrel would require the licenses.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

It may only apply to a “gunsmith” company that builds complete rifles that are for sale to military/law enforcement customers.

On on the other hand it could be an un-Constitutional attempt to subvert the 2nd Amendment.

However, if you want to shake up the ruling class, never vote for the incumbent ever again

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

This applies to anyone who does machine work or alterations to firearms for profit.
      Any thread of a barrel, part made from scratch, or accuracy/performance enhancement is a violation punishable by $100000000 fine and ten years in prison……unless you secure elegibility for ITAR licencing and submit to a yearly tax of $2250.
      Buy the way, the tax cannot be paid by check, money order, credit card, or cash. Only a direct account withdrawal is acceptable.
      Yes the first paragraph makes you all warm and toasty inside…….untill you read the very detailed description of what (in their opinion) constitutes manufacturing, and that’s when you realize the laser dot on your forehead.

I have contacted my senators and representatives on this matter. They were completely unaware and I will be sending more information. I also called the local radio station and blew the whistle. It is now plastered on their website, and I will be a guest speaker with Doc Washburn on KARN radio tomorrow at 2:30pm.
      Some others I have told actually work in Little Rock, and they have drafted urgent letters and hand delivered them to the representatives.
      I already had denial, and then I got angry. Now I’m going to fight.
      Wish me luck.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

if you made a contribution of 1000.00 to the Clinton foundation I’m sure a exemption could be arranged.

On a serious note piss them off Request a detailed annual report FOIA request of the state Department handling of the funds via GAO since 1996.
      That should trigger a audit of sorts.

although I suspect that you should expect the following response from the State department

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Oh, and just in case you are not aware of the agenda that is driving this, let me explain my take on it:

In 1890 Hiram Maxim developed a smokeless propellant that was a step ahead of anything that was on the market at the time: poudre B

In 1909 Hiram Maxim developed his famous Maxim silencer.

In the 1920s, there was a movement in the government for gun control (they banned alcohol, why not suppressors/SBRs too?).

However, unlike alcohol, firearms and the tools used to bear them were written into our constitution as a God given RIGHT. They could not ban them, so the decision was made to TAX them out of existence with heavy penalties levied against the violators (pay attention, this will be important in a minute).
      therefore, a tax of $200 was levied against short barreled rifles/shotguns and suppressors. In today’s money, that’s the equivalent of $3600 give or take (i.e.:astronomical).

this is why it was commonly held for many years that suppressors were illegal. The fact was, no one could afford the tax, and without it, they were. A very slight misconception.

Fast forward, and let inflation do what it does best, and suddenly, in the last 10 or 20 years, $200 isn’t so much money after all.

However, the rules were still in place, and there was a lot of red tape to contend with, but people found ways to exercise their rights. The one problem was in areas where the CLEO was opposed to citizens owning suppressors and was very stingy about who was granted permission. In these instances, a gun trust was the only way to get around the CLEO because only one permission was required for everyone on the trust to exercise their 2nd amendment rights.

Supressor sales exploded, and people think nothing of seeing them at the local gun range, and even appreciate not having their ears blown out by loud report.

However, left wing gun haters realized they were losing one of their foundational victories (due in a large part to their other vice: printing money like it was toilette paper. But I digress) and they decided it was time to tip the scales back their way.

First, they made a slight change to the rules regarding gun trusts, and on July 13th (this month) ATF 41-F went into effect. This edict requires every single person on a gun trust to submit fingerprints and obtain CLEO approval for every single suppressor or SBR on the trust, thus making the trust a worthless endeavor to secure your 2nd amendment rights without wading through 20 miles of red tape.

So they nailed that down, but the problem still remains that while they were sleeping at the switch, Americans bought 50 bazillion suppressors legally, and they are out there screwing them onto anything that goes bang. They had to find a way to clamp down on all those legally owned suppressors, but the options are few and far between. The only weak spot is that all those suppressors need a very precise thread in order to work and not get destroyed by the very firearm they are mounted on. The threads cannot be cut by ordinary hand tools, or by an ordinary machinist. The threads have to be cut by a gunsmith who has a very specific set of tools for the job, and it just so happens that every profeshional gunsmith is a government licenced FFL who willingly submit to regular ATF checks and red tape and depend on the government’s blessing to do their job in the first place.
      Bingo.
      Just make Gunsmithing illegal. Oh yeah, lesson learned in 1930. Don’t ban them. TAX THEM.

Its a song from the same old playbook.

The last time they pulled this garbage, people were too focused on the depression to care.
      This time, they are betting people are too focused on the polotics to care. Let’s hope they guessed wrong this time, otherwise my grandkids will think that Gunsmithing is illegal just because no one can afford the red tape and taxes involved. I can just see it now, two guys getting all skittish because their buddy took the scope that came on the Remington and put it on the Savage because it makes it more accurate, and that’s “illegal”.
      Sound stupid? So why don’t you go tape some pipe and steel wool to your 22 and have fun without earmuffs? It’s just $10 in materials and a good time. Oh yeah, if you get caught doing that, you could go to prison.

Funny how little laws like this shape your definition of freedom.
      Isn’t it?

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well I do wish you luck Tim and hang in there. I think you are on the right track.

I keep going back and rereading this thing. If you have ever done any defense contracting you see things like this all the time. Government employees trying to define something they rarely know anything about but feel it is needed to prevent government waste and criticism from a congressional panel. Believe me there are plenty of other examples jumbled up just as bad and as poorly written but this one hits home as it effects us directly and also it hits on a high point of discussion at this time.

Had this come out twenty or thirty years ago I doubt if much attention would have been paid to it but now with this crazy mixed up world we live in and share with those who do not always hold the same beliefs that we do, it and it’s wording do and will make a difference.
      It is impossible to do but one has to look at the reason it was written in the first place. One can ask but my money says a honest answer will not be forthcoming.
      Oh yes, you will get a answer and in some remote way it will make sense.
      I think the point that could be made is that if someone has gotten their nickers all bunched up and honestly feels that such a statement needs to be made then they need to go back and properly define that it is that they are wanting to define.
      There is a big difference between someone wanting to do defense contracting and the local gunsmith wanting to rebarrel someones 94 Winchester to 458 or some such thing. That big difference is what is not shown in the writing of the above. In short, considering all is above board ( hopefully ) then it is a poorly written document and needs to be rewritten.
      As far as I am concerned if refusal to rewrite is what comes up then we can suspect the reason it was written in the first place.

Just my .002 worth. That and $10.00 will get you a Starbucks.

Wheel Gun
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 43
      • Overall: 45

By far one of the most educational threads I have read in quite some time.
      Wheel Gun

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

I choose to not comply. I don’t think it would stand up in court.

Bullseye67
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 16
      • Overall: 16

Good morning All, This is the silly season for the Feds in both countries……Last week the news here is that the Canadian RCMP has decided to BAN by placing on a prohibited list…..wait for it…….Ruger 25 round magazines…..WTH…. They are the most popular 22 rifles in the country and the 25 round magazines have been available for..Oh… say.. 35 years! All because the RCMP have identified that the same magazines fit the Ruger Charger pistol. Which hasn’t been available for years….And…YES… jail time is the penalty. Just having one, now puts you in the category of Canada’s Most Wanted.
      Tim. I know how you feel. My last business. I shut down because the work to do the paperwork and the courses to keep up the paperwork was creating to much of a burden. The paperwork also made it easier for the consumer to win or get a settlement in court. The only thing “FREE” about enterprise is the business owner…..Free to pay and pay and pay……Good luck…

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Bullseye67
      Did the RCMP, in their infinite wisdom happen the mention the reason for the ban ? Are too many snow snakes being taken out of season or they don’t feel the snow fleas have a fighting chance.

Really now. This is a good one. I have to admit that I don’t pay as much attention as one really should to such matters but without any doubt I can honestly say I have never seen or heard of where any crime was committed or any person harmed with a 10-22 and a 25 round magazine. Not counting accidents or stupidity of course.

Bet the BATF follows suit soon. Ya—- that’s a safe bet.

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

I just called Illinois senators Kirk and Durban, for what good it will do. I also told them that I am fully aware of the senators inappropriate voting record and realize that I am barking up a tree, but regardless, I am very very very upset, and disappointed. I left them with” fix this”.

good luck.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For a established business say as Gunsmithing or projectile swaging /casting, $2200.00 is nothing that can’t be absorbed and spread out. But bear in mind on ammunition a $2200.00 fee annually plus a 7% excise tax no wonder 22 LR is expensive. $2200.00 to just register, think rate increases here as it (the actual fee ) is left up to the State Department. Corrupt is not even beginning of the words. If you are just starting out with the 10 year business plan yeah it can literally bankrupt or completely hamper the growth of a business.

Like I stated earlier I was going to setup a side bar bullet swaging business guess what I ran in to this $2200.00 can buy quite a bit in setting up the business. I’m not upset that it affect Gunsmith’s I’m upset that it affects domestic production of everything firearm and more and can be changed at whim, even if not exported as the title of the law imply s .

The exporter should pay this not manufacturers but then again with only 10 exporters versus 200+ manufacturers.
      The corrupt part is it goes to the STATE DEPARTMENT NOT THE GENERAL FUND OR TREASURY. it reeks of misuse of power.

I am serious about the FOIA request about the accounting of the taxes collected by the State department 20 or 30 people asking every month can be painful for them. Increasing the number of folks asking is even more painful

https://www.foia.gov/about.html

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Who here doesn’t realize that the Republicans are just as much Progressives as the Democrats?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Their ear is inclined towards the lobbyists and their wheelbarrows full of money, while also being scared shitless of Obama and his threats of shutting down the government and pinning it on them.
      Today I got to say my piece on the radio, and I tried to make the point that if the republican constituency loses the last shreds of hope that their elected officials will carry out their duty to us, then Obama shutting down the government will be the least of their problems.

They need to to be told this in no uncertain terms by everyone who really believes it.

In the mean time, I’m very happy that there are several hellcats and pit bulls in my state who don’t mind tilting at windmills if it’s the right thing to do.
      Tom Cotton is one, and our lovely attorney general Leslie Rutledge is another.
      I will be contacting Mrs. Rutledge tomorrow, and then I’ll look into the advice of Sgt.Mike.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Can the House and Senate block Executive orders?

I know if Hillary goes in we will be seeing many of these executive orders.
      Also if she goes in we will wish they had accepted Obamas choice for Supreme Court Justice.
      Her choice will be far worse.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It’s not an executive order, as I found out. It’s an executive redefinition of existing policy. Things like this have been reversed before if a state attorney general launches a law suit against the action. Also, if the administration is ousted, the rules could be completely reinterpreted by the next administration.
      This is very worth fighting for.

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Think about a world without small guys making gun parts and the things that you use to accurize them.
      Think about:
      no Brownells
      no JES
      no boutique scope mount systems
      no custom barrels the way you want it.
      no way to repair family heirlooms
      no option except a brand new firearm that will be registered if Hillary gets in.
      how about the American made guns like Bighorn? Tippman armory?
      how many barrel makers can stand up to this?
      You might feel all fuzzy because it says one for one part swaps are still free and clear, but a gunsmith can’t oporate on that, and most people can handle that stuff themselves….but who’s making those parts? Can THEY stay in business? I don’t think so.

This guncontrol cuts deep and if enforced just a few times, will change the face of American gun culture in just a few years.

I’d take action now if I were you. This is everything the anti-gun crowd ever wanted wrapped up in a nice neat little package that pretty much lets them walk away with our rights with a crooked smile and a third finger in your face.

Bad news. Really bad news.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Brownells knows this pretty much effects everything they do, 50% of the venders who supply products they sell, and a good portion of the clients they serve. Many of their products come from small businesses serving niche markets in the gunsmithing trade, serving people who are doing it for real.

I read a blithe and bonny statement from AGI where the owner reassures people that this doesn’t effect any of the hobby gunsmiths, nor anybody who don’t engage in the specific operations listed by this overreaching government coup. He says its an opportunity for gunsmiths to make even more money than ever!
      He seems to be confused about the difference between an “armorer” and a “gunsmith” and seemed altogether too flippant about this matter and the mushroom cloud it will make in the gun culture if enforced. Including the parts changers and home hobbyists. Where are these folks going to get their parts eh? How much will the parts cost once every company that makes them is forced into compliance?
      He says that the $2250 is easily passed onto the customers so it’s no big deal. He seems to be neglecting to mention that $2250 just buys your way in the door. After that, your business must be compliant, and then there’s even more money to pay every month once the government decides what tier your business falls under.
      Then you have both the BATFE and the FBI breathing down your neck while you’re trying to work.
      Those little nuggets might be worth mentioning, along with the fact that a guy could do much better for himself and work in piece if he gave up guns and became a bicycle mechanic or a watch smith instead, which is the whole reason for this new legislation.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

I just saw this on the old place and though it could use a bump

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/remove-gunsmithing-itar

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

JHSFun;n9074 wrote: I just saw this on the old place and though it could use a bump

I urge everyone to sign this, and notify their representative on their feeling on this matter.
      instead of being the silent majority we need to be the loud majority to drown out the loud minority

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I signed it.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

Signed It as well

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I just signed it.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

I was going to, but they stopped accepting signatures!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

A glimmer of hope …

Dear Brownells Customer,

There is PROMISING NEWS to report in the continued fight to fend off regulatory overreaches affecting gunsmiths and industry professionals by the Obama administration.

As you’ll undoubtedly remember, the Department of Defense Trade Controls office earlier this year issued confusing guidance adversely affecting tens of thousands of gunsmiths by requiring them pay a $2,250 registration fee with the DDTC.

The PROMISING NEWS is our legislators have heard from all of us. Just recently, Congressman Steve Scalise (R-LA) filed H.R. 6176, The Export Control Reform Act along with 68 bipartisan cosponsors.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) summarizes the bill as follows:

“The Export Control Reform Act of 2016, if enacted, will transfer export licensing for commercial products from State to Commerce, where it is more appropriately equipped to control the exportation of these consumer products and remove the costly and unduly burdensome registration fee. This would streamline the licensing process, provide greater flexibility for multi-year licensing, and save gunsmiths and all manufacturers of handguns and rifles $2,250 every year. Additionally, it would allow the State Department to place greater focus on those sensitive articles that would remain on the U.S. Munitions List that are inherently military in nature or provide a critical military or intelligence advantage to the U.S.”

This bill is not yet law! It desperately needs the support of you, your friends, family and coworkers. Frank and I promise to keep the pressure on our legislators and we need you to do the same.

We ask you to contact your Member of Congress immediately and respectfully urge your member to support H.R. 6176, the Export Control Reform Act of 2016. You can call 202-225-3121 and email them here.

As always, thank you for placing your trust in Brownells.

Pete & Frank Brownell

Source
      http://lp.brownells.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTURkaE1XTmtaVFpsTVRrMSIsInQiOiJtOExnNEhRNzJIUG5WVHJNVWRndUtERWNoVGhVNEpyd3I5RmI1YlhmMzI3RFJUXC9CRTlYTHBcL1NuQUNkMkVTanorWmxuYmIxT1VKU1cybkorY0ZGdkc5ekt5d0FLSkpPMU83UXNQK3VLMUU4PSJ9

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.