Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

beware of gun shows i got burned at a gun show. I bought a bolt action 12guage sears and roebuck it had a missing magazine was listed for 125.00, he said thats all it needs so i bought it for 100.00… got it home, went to numrick gun parts and found a magazine for it , went to test it with a few empty shells, to check feeding and went to close the bolt snap!!! the firing pin hit the empty shell on the primer…I tried to remove both extractors were broken , ordered 2 extractors and got them home and tore gun apart to examine the firing pin going off, without touching the trigger… , there was a spring out of place in the trigger group , i dont know how to find a schematic to repair it , nothing looks broken, but when you pull the trigger the release for the firing pin dosesn’t come back up fully ,, thus the firing pin release…… i tried to find schematics on this rifle but cannot find anything on the internet.. so extractors, plus mag, plus shipping, and gun,… i could have bought a new pump shotgun….. just saying look the guns over good, before laying down good cash , i am glad i didnt put a live shell in itas it would possibly went off , for that im thankful .

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Hmmm, sounds like the trigger could have been checked at the gun show
      – and did the extractor break when you manipulated or were they already broken?
      Remember the old saying “trust but verify”

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze

the trigger only holds part time it didnt have the problem when i checked it at the gun show , one extractor was broken flush with the bolt face , the other was bent and i think i broke it when feeding at first the empty shell didnt want to go home in the chamber …
      and the trust then verify well im a shooter not so good at gun repair , a little too delicate for me … my point is what you said dont completely trust like i did / , as you said verify, or look it over good… before you buy and take it home, still it is a cool gun just wish i could fix it…

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

This sounds like a perfect time to start thinking about what it takes to make the extractors, I don’t see it as you got burned. I see it as you have been given an opportunity to develop new skills. I see it as being an educational experience and opportunity for growth.

I recently spotted a nice looking older Bushnell Banner 3-9 -40 on a table it looked perfect, there was a $25 price tag on it. ( older Banner, Made in Japan, B & L marked, at the time of manufacture, it was the #2 scope in Bushnell line. ) I looked at it, looked at the propriater of the area and said $20. He reached out his hand, we shock hands, I bought that scope and every defect it might of had, it didn’t matter the defects at that time It was mine lock stock and barrel. Well It had a bind in power ring and being I was a passenger in a vehicle full of fellow gun nuts going home with their treasures the Cross hair broke on the way home as I sat in the back seat turning the power ring full range over and over again. Well I didn’t go back to Joe and complain I smiled and said cheap entertainment,$20. took my harassment and made a decision to sent it off to Bushnell with $10 to cover return shipping. I also included a note telling them that I had just purchased it and the whole 9 yards. Honesty is the only way. Monday I gets this letter back from Bushnell, SAYing, yup , IT IS BROKEN AND PARTS TAINT AVAILABLE, but they would gladly send me one of their current banners for another $62, well At that point I call them and get the young man named Daniel, I verify the deal and re verify that I just got it but do own 4 Scopechiefs and 3 other Banners. Daniel tells me yup, we will do that, I say Daniel, the problem is the old banner was not the entry level scope in your line I think It would take at least a 3500 to get the same quality. Daniel tells me that isn’t a problem because they are actually offering me a discounted price on all Bushnell products for the replacement of the old Banner, give him a moment and he will have the price. Well for $156.80 cents they are shipping me a 3500 3x9x40 . You see I am a happy customer and think that $20 Bushnell 3×9-40 was a great deal. I added to my education, and got A new 3500 for $186.80 adding up all the money. I bought it lock stock and barrel with every good, bad and ugly thing that was included at no extra cost.

Ken

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Bob I have a long gun book of exploded drawings I’ll be happy to lend you next time I’m in town . It should have a drawing that will help. It wouldn’t be this weekend maybe next. For sure the weekend of the 15,16,17th of April Ms has an appointment in Reno on the 14th and that is the set date for the Fallon NVGT

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

There should be a model number on the gun. The Blue Book of Gun Values has a cross over list that will tell you the manufacturer of the gun. That may help getting you a schematic.

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze

if anyone has a trigger scematic they can send me i may be able to repair it , or copy a page and mail it to me . then i wont need to borrow a book .. thanks for any help

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I rarely go to gun shows. As soon as I show up, all my buddies start asking me to look over what they are thinking of buying, and I don’t get much time to browse myself.
      However, when I go to look at a firearm, I don’t just look at what the item I’m supposed to at. The first thing I do is take in the whole booth and see what the quality of the guns are on the whole table. That tells you if the guy knows his guns and if he makes a habbit out of dealing with junk.
      If I have to skip over six beaters to get to the item in question, it aint looking good for a positive recommendation. Besides, I’m not just looking to see if the gun will break as soon as the dude gets home. I’m looking to see if it’s going to last him for six months, and is the deal good enough that I can repair it for him without one or both of us coming out short if the gun does break.

Point is, most folks at gunshows see what they want and get tunnel vision. If you keep your eyes open, and take in the whole booth, and the guy running it, you can pretty much tell how its going to go.

Sorry you got burned. Everybody’s going to get a lemon every now and then.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Screwbolts;n4804 wrote: This sounds like a perfect time to start thinking about what it takes to make the extractors, I don’t see it as you got burned. I see it as you have been given an opportunity to develop new skills. I see it as being an educational experience and opportunity for growth.

I recently spotted a nice looking older Bushnell Banner 3-9 -40 on a table it looked perfect, there was a $25 price tag on it. ( older Banner, Made in Japan, B & L marked, at the time of manufacture, it was the #2 scope in Bushnell line. ) I looked at it, looked at the propriater of the area and said $20. He reached out his hand, we shock hands, I bought that scope and every defect it might of had, it didn’t matter the defects at that time It was mine lock stock and barrel. Well It had a bind in power ring and being I was a passenger in a vehicle full of fellow gun nuts going home with their treasures the Cross hair broke on the way home as I sat in the back seat turning the power ring full range over and over again. Well I didn’t go back to Joe and complain I smiled and said cheap entertainment,$20. took my harassment and made a decision to sent it off to Bushnell with $10 to cover return shipping. I also included a note telling them that I had just purchased it and the whole 9 yards. Honesty is the only way. Monday I gets this letter back from Bushnell, SAYing, yup , IT IS BROKEN AND PARTS TAINT AVAILABLE, but they would gladly send me one of their current banners for another $62, well At that point I call them and get the young man named Daniel, I verify the deal and re verify that I just got it but do own 4 Scopechiefs and 3 other Banners. Daniel tells me yup, we will do that, I say Daniel, the problem is the old banner was not the entry level scope in your line I think It would take at least a 3500 to get the same quality. Daniel tells me that isn’t a problem because they are actually offering me a discounted price on all Bushnell products for the replacement of the old Banner, give him a moment and he will have the price. Well for $156.80 cents they are shipping me a 3500 3x9x40 . You see I am a happy customer and think that $20 Bushnell 3×9-40 was a great deal. I added to my education, and got A new 3500 for $186.80 adding up all the money. I bought it lock stock and barrel with every good, bad and ugly thing that was included at no extra cost.

Ken

Did the same thing with a old outside adjust Weaver K-10 years ago, worked out as above and got a new K-10 from Weaver. Still have it.
      You have to be careful at gun shows but if you will just think on it a bit you might be able to make lemonaid from a lemon.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

You can get a lemon, even if everything looks fine. A close friend came over with a 16 ga. bolt action Savage that he ha just inherited and wanted to try out. The first round in the chamber fired when the bolt closed, we tried to make it fire again with nothing in the chamber but it was hit and miss on that. After taking it apart I found that at some point in time the safety switch had broken and someone had brazed it back together.

You just can never tell about older stuff, Bubba is everywhere.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Is this it?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.