This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Harter 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

So Glenn gave me this awesome Zabala Mercury twice bore 10 gauge two thanksgivings ago. I’ve been having too much fun with it over the past year, but finding reloading data for buckshot seems to be difficult. I finally decided to roll up my sleeves and figure out a load. I wanted #4 buckshot, and I wanted it to be as hot as I felt was safe in my shotgun. This I have accomplished!!!!
    I also wanted to find a way to make the old girl cluster a little better seeing as how the barrels have been cut down to 20″. This was accomplished with a double wrap of .010 teflon sheet, rolled up and inserted in the hull before I dump in the shot.

1.OK, so I start with the primed Federal hulls bought from BPI, and I throw in 40 grains of longshot powder.

2.Then I seat a X10X gas seal.

3.Then I stuff in .750 inches of waxed fiber wads. (originally, I used two 3/8″ wads from BPI, but this last batch was 1/2″ thick even though it was designated 3/8″ so I used my pocket knife to cut a bunch of them in half, so 1.5 of these made 3/4″ stack. In all you do, make the column the right height. It isn’t rocket surgery, it just need to stack up to the right height).

4.Then I roll up the teflon and slip it in the hull on top of the fiber wads. This .010 teflon is cut 1 1/8″ wide and 4.750 long, and it pretty much makes two complete wraps inside the hull.

5. Then I measure out 1.972oz of ACME #4 shot. I really can’t say enough good about this company. Their shot comes tumbled in graphite, and sealed in a plastic bag, inside a schnazzy little plywood box just to give you the ultimate Wiley Coyote experience. The wood box can be reused for storing your cast bullets in style, or, it makes a dandy container for housing your loaded 10 gauge shells. Also, it’s the cheapest #4 shot I can find, and its made in the good ol USA so even Trump gives it the thumbs up!
    Trust me, I have this down to a science! If you measure out just under 2oz of the Acme shot and dump it into the hull, the next thing your should do is tap the hull on the bench briskly to make the shot settle. If you do it right and follow the sultry sound of my voice, then all the shot will settle into 7 pellet clusters. 6 around the perimeter with one in the center. uber schweeght!

6. I put on the overshot card.

7. I use the drill press to roll crimp the shell.

This produces a load that I gauratee will solve any problem that you need taken tare of from varmints to possums, to mountian lions, to deer. It packs a hell of a whollop, sending that 2oz load screaming out at easily 1200FPS +.

So there you have it!

Screwbolts 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 97
    • Overall: 101

Tim, I have some rather oldish Shotgun only reloading books, I will take a gander at them to see if they list any other 10 ga BS loads for you.

My son and I worked up a 2 3/4″ 12 gauge load for 00 BS (cronoed 1650fps, my crony ) that will keep all 8 pellet of 00 shot from a HM2 mold of mine inside of 14″ at 50 yards out of his full chocked old Rem 870. definite Coyote killing load.

Ken

Labradigger1 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 16
    • Overall: 19

I load #4 buck into Remington hulls and can get 18 pellets. I can’t remember offhand if the load data was in Lyman’s shotshell handbook or in the book the mighty ten gauge.
    Edit, just read your post again and realized you said #4 and not 4B.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 529
    • Overall: 584

Tim,
    I have to ask because I been digging into buck loads for 20 & 12ga.
    From what I read, you don’t just dump in a load of xxx oz. of buck, but rather you ‘stack’ them according to the gauge bore you have.
    I have not yet done this first hand, but I have to ask because of what I previously read.
    In your 10ga. example, do they stack in order, or pour in like birdshot? How do they pattern?
    Don’t get me wrong, 2oz of buck is a badazz load, but have you patterned it?

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Stacking is required with the larger pellets. Unless they nestle in, you won’t get all of them in. BTW, I tried the dumping vs stacking in a ML where the shot load length was not critical, and the patterns deteriorated. You can get by with dumping 4B in a 12 ga if you are tapping the shell to let them settle. A quick dump, and no dice.

I’ll try and get the buckshot data I have scanned this week. The BPI buckshot and slug manual has a lot of data in all gauges.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Stacking buckshot is harder than pouring in #8 bird shot, but not as hard as you might think. In the case of these loads, a few taps on the bench settles them into perfectly staggered clusters of 7 and if any part is off inside the shell, the top layer will not be even. Sometimes I get a cantankerous one that just won’t settle, so I cover the end of the shell with my thumb, then turn it upside down, then sh sh sh sh shake it as I tip it back over, tap tap tap on the bench and voila.

The pattern before I went to the wrap was pretty broad. But with the double wrap of teflon, at 30 yards I’d say my pattern is less than 24″ in diameter. Pretty awesome.
    When I shoot a 55 galon steel drum at 30 yards, all of the pellets punch through the near side, and I’d say about half of them make it through the far side, with the other side punching dimples through far enough to raise a crack in the middle of the dimple. That’s the way to put the whammy on something for sure.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Tim, you said the barrels on this shotgun had been cut back. Is it cylinder bore, or has the gun been re-choked? If choked, what is the constriction vs bore diameter?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Rattlesnake Charlie;n13761 wrote: Tim, you said the barrels on this shotgun had been cut back. Is it cylinder bore, or has the gun been re-choked? If choked, what is the constriction vs bore diameter?

It’s cylinder bore. No choke.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 859

24″ at 30yd is typical of 12ga full choke ….. My go to steel goose load of 105 pellets of B produced 97/105 inside 27″ at 40yd with about 60% pass through on 6ply 3/4 plywood .
    Well done !

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us