Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Str8shot426
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

Have a chance to pick one of these up fairly cheap. Nice wood, shiny 4 groove barrel, minimal wear.
      Anyone have experience with these rifles? Value?

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

These rifles were converted from various 98 actions, and sold mostly as “Santa Fe” Mausers chambered mostly in 30-06 , but also in a few other calibers like .308 and 22-250. The company was headquartered in Pasadena and went out of business sometime in the mid-60s. The business name was bought and they had a storefront in Pasadena until sometime in the 1980s, but not as a gun manufacturer.

I have owned a couple of these guns; a Mauser in 30-06 with a thin sporter barrel and a Lee Enfield in 303 Brit. The Mauser shot about as well as any low-priced hunting rifle, and it ended its days in Arkansas where Goodsteel now has made a gorgeous 270 Win. out of it. The stock went to Lar45’s XCB-rifle.

Long story short, if you get the gun for $250 or less it will always have a value for its action and stock. And if it happens to be a shooter you just got lucky!!!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

+1 for Bjornbs comment especially the last line.

Str8shot426
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

Looks like I did ok then, $200 and I took it home! I’ll post a picture when I get It out to test accuracy.
      If it doesn’t shoot it might be a candidate for reboring to 35 Whelen.

Jim

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.