Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

I have the new barrel for my sks and my question is how would you go about drilling the gas hole and can I make it smaller. I drilled 2 extra relief holes in gas tube a year ago as Larry Gibson spoke of doing and that was a great help. I have a mill so I can get the angle correct. I think the yugo barrels do not have chrome lining. Any advice always appreciated.
      goody

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Set the barrel up just like you would to drill and tap scope mounts in the receiver of a Mauser. A forester jig is a wonderful thing for this, but you can make due by blocking it up in the vice.
      Cast a lead lap in your barrel and place it over the gas port hole location inside the barrel.
      Find your hole location carefully, spot drill the hole with a #1 combination drill/countersink, then run an undersized drill through the barrel into the bore. Go up one size with a quality drill bit, and ream the hole out just under your final size.
      Use a sharp drill of the appropriate size to ream the hole to the final size. Each drill needs to be used with good quality cutting oil, and each drill must go into the middle of the lead lap.
      When the final hole is finished, blow the chips out very carefully, and pull the lap out of the barrel.
      When the lap is removed, wrap an old brush with 000 steel wool so it’s a very tight fit, and scrub the area over the port till you feel no burrs anymore (don’t worry, the steel wool will not damage your barrel as the steel in the wool it is softer than the 40Rc 4140 your barrel is made of).
      This process will render you a very clean gas port.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks a bunch, coming home from church the thought came to me to run a lead slug in the barrel where I drill, so I felt pretty good to know I is was thinking correct. I feel like a kid at christmas with this new barrel because it would not shoot better than a 2 inch avg at 100 yards with select reloads and 3 inch normal.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

Got the extractor cut in barrel, gave it the top kote and B2000 dry lube treatment and fired it with out the gas tube hole. I was sure the headspace was correct and the empties and masking tape on back of factory ammo confirm the headspace is good. Now get the gas tube on and we are ready to refinnish it. I am thinking of using the Laurel Mountain Brown solution and cook it to get the matte black. I could really get a nice rust blue on this metal but I am not sure it would look right. Any opinions?

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

I got er done! The step for the gas tube was 14 inch less than original so I had to cut the gas tube and rod to fit, drill a few hole and put it together, shoved some cartridges in the mag took it out and went bang as normal till all were gone.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

High five!!! Workin it like a Boss!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.