Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Alvarez Kelly
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 7

My question for the general membership is… is this a suitable manual for a new reloader?

I’m looking for help finding a home for it. Any of you guys have someone you are mentoring that can use this?

The book is free, and shipping is on me.

Please post advice in public, but please PM me any nominees.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

They are great data books . Check the print dates that will have an impact on its usefulness to a new loader. They are a 2 volume set with the load data and loading tutorials in volume 2 . Mine is older and lacks a lot of new cartridges. I think the 7-30 Waters might be the newest cartridge.

Alvarez Kelly
      Participant
      • Bronze

This book is from the 1978, 4th printing.

Anyone know a new reloader that could use this book?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

AK, this is very generous of you!! Wish I had a mentor I could teach, but word got around I was a lousy reloader!!!!!

Wheel Gun
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 43
      • Overall: 45

AK,
      I can’t answer whether or not how good it is for a new loader as I don’t have ether of that two volume set. However I’ve been tutoring two new fellows for several months one of the gentleman seems to be in fairly good shape financially and the younger of two has saved his pennies each step of the way and quite honestly has excelled given his family / financial situation. (he has kept his eye on the ball while putting his family first) I would like to his name in the hat as a truly new caster / loader if it is decided the this is a suitable manual for a newbie.
      Wheel Gun

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I also know of a gentleman that thru health issues is on the poor side .. I have been helping him get into reloading with hand me down and cheap purchased equipment
      would like to throw his hat in the ring

Alvarez Kelly
      Participant
      • Bronze

No additional advice or opinions on whether this book is suitable for a newbie reloader?

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

Every new reloader should have at least three if not four different manuals. Older manuals are just as useful as newer and should be included. Several of mine are older, but still used. Newer ones focus on new cartridges and new powders, they have to omit the old information to get the new stuff in. But older cartridges and older powder and older bullet designs are important so should not be discarded.
      The book is very suitable for a reloader , along with a newer one . Having at least two will greatly expand his knowledge.
      I believe all manuals will have some value, don’t just trash it..
      Gary

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

^^^^^ True usually some have way better writeup on accuracy or processes than new ones.
      The Hornady manual, reguardless of age should have some very useful information as Joyce Hornady always sought that one bullet hole.
      load data may have changed a bit, but more than likely not enough to get anybody in trouble and still remain safe provide they heed every manual’s guidance start low work up.

Alvarez Kelly
      Participant
      • Bronze

Wheel Gun;n2363 wrote: AK,
      I can’t answer whether or not how good it is for a new loader as I don’t have ether of that two volume set. However I’ve been tutoring two new fellows for several months one of the gentleman seems to be in fairly good shape financially and the younger of two has saved his pennies each step of the way and quite honestly has excelled given his family / financial situation. (he has kept his eye on the ball while putting his family first) I would like to his name in the hat as a truly new caster / loader if it is decided the this is a suitable manual for a newbie.
      Wheel Gun

And this looks like the winner. PM sent.

Thanks to all for their input!

AK

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.