Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Lately I’ve tuned my Pandora in to Flats & Scruggs for some good picikn’g and grinn’n. The date range they gave are 1962 – 1965. I may be getting old, but my taste in music just don’t seem to change. I think I just might choose to have Smoky Mountain Breakdown played when they spread my ashes to the wind.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

That is some good stuff there no doubt.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I grew up on Bluegrass in high school, my buddy played mandolin, I had a car, so drove guys around to various jam sessions. I saw Sam Bush play the Holiday Inn lounge one night, before he was well known, it was Bluegrass Alliance.

This was the beginning of New Grass Revival.

Pandora likely has Allison Krauss, Union Station, Jerry Douglass, among others.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I like a lot of the new country including Allison Krauss. I cannot stand the rap crap.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I was raised with an extremely broad artistic preference as my father felt it was good for my education, but I do like bluegrass very much. I was never super high on Flat and Scrugs, but the Dillards. Their original album pretty much got the tracks worn off of it, but my personal favorite album they did was the one titled: Let It Fly. I love that music!!!

Alison Kraus is an angel, thinly disguised as a musician IMHO, and although I couldn’t stand him when I was young, I’ve grown quite fond of Vince Gill.

I have less well known favorites you gents might enjoy listening to, such as the group called The Devil Makes Three (be sure to listen to the track “Old #7”) and Tom Russel (listen to “Tonight We Ride” (which inspired me to name my rifle Siete Leguas after Pancho Villa’s horse).  Actually I like a great many of Tom Russell’s songs, but you have to listen to them several times to really let it sink in and get ahold of you.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Norman Blake, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, John Hartford, …………..

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Listening to Russel. Interesting. I think I like.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Like I said: Tom Russel is like good whisky. You can’t judge it by the first one you toss back.

The first time I heard Tonight we ride, I thought it was a jacked up song, but after a while it sunk in and it’s one of my favorites. Another one he did that just purely love is The Jack of Hearts. I’ll bet I’ve listened to that one 300 times and I still love it.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.