This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  lar45 3 years ago.

• Author
     DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 91

Started talking 41 mag. Ruger BH a few yrs ago on deer hunts and came across almost new old stock barrel for T/C Contender 2yrs ago so it joined me. Goal was to harvest IL whitetail with my cast and a pistol. This morning opening day i have suceeded. Still sitting in stand as i write this 😎

Doc44 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 37

pictures please

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • β˜…β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Leaving me hanging too! Bullet? Load? details of shot?

Larry Gibson

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

You weren’t kidding about still being in the stand!!! Feels good don’t it?

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…

And be sure to include lots of exaggeration! We don’t want the facts, we want to be entertained! From that pic, I’d say it was at least 250 yards away (just to get you started). Lol

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

The weekend started out not as I would like. The warmest deer opener for firearms season since I’ve been hunting in the last 20-plus years. I did not even have to wear a jacket just a long sleeve shirt. That is very unusual this time of the year for Illinois. On a side note temperatures are dropping as the Canadian front enter then we’ve gone from a high of mid sixties today and going to be in the 20s to 30s tonight.

So headed to stand this morning about the normal time I go I try to be in my stand a good half an hour before shooting light. This morning we had a really clear morning so it was bright out. I know sooner got to my stand and I heard the Bad Neighbor fire a shot. Kind of made me angry because I knew it wasn’t legal shooting time yet so I booked my butt up that stand snd got settled in.
    A good 15 to 20 minutes passed and the next thing I knew I had a four-legged critter coming across Creek on a Down fallen tree right at me. By the time I realized it was a coyote it was on my backside and coming out my front. He hit the field Edge and I gave a soft grunt trying to get him stopped while I raise my muzzleloader. Lucky for him no shots. Biggest yote I’ve seen to date assuming it had to have been at male.

The next couple hours where long and frustrating as I had not seen any other deer but the Back Neighbor had shot a few other times. There is usually either one guy on the back property or in this case this morning probably five to eight guys hunting. It’s just a big group of good old boys trying to accomplish the same thing. Most likely will not see them the rest of the weekend due to the cold weather which will be at my advantage.

Finally this yearling came from the East out of the Timber working through the heavy brush. There’s still a lot of green leaves on the trees which is also not normal for this time of the year in Central Illinois. It was coming towards me so I knew it would give me a chance to use the r Contender so I picked it up and waited for a nice broadside shot as she enteted the field Edge . About a 30yd shot. I knew it wasnt a mature deer but really wanted to see what my boolit would do.

Boolit past straight through leaving an exit wound at least twice if not three times the diameter of the bullet. I have to assume that the hollow point did its job and started to open up. When I field dressed the deer I could not find any remains of the bullet so assuming it passed straight through. I also have to assume because it was such a close shot that is the reason for pass through? Not sure of the specific alloy but I do know I made it specifically for hunting so was trying to use plumber’s LED with a little tin added

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

Excellent ,congrats:)

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

Nice job!!!
    It is a gratifying feeling taking the first one!
    I took my first CB and handgun deer last year. I hope to get one this year with my old Marlin 1893.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • β˜…β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

It’s been many years since I took my first deer with cast, but I’ll never forget it. Cast lead kills better than jacketed every time.
    You did dam well, and you can expect more of the same in the future. My hats off to you for accomplishing this with a handgun!!!

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…

Right under you here in Kentucky, it was just as warm. I got one that morning and just about had to keep the flies from carrying it off by the time I was done butchering. I can’t remember the last time it was cold enough here during modern gun season to actually leave a deer hanging until later.

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

30 degree difference today!. Didn’t bother to go out witj 35+ winds. Will give then a break tomorrow weathet looks good cold and lite breeze

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • β˜…β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Well done, indeed!

Larry Gibson

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

Decided to go out to night even with the strong winds. No one hunted are section this morning and didnt see anyone out. I like the idea of me alone with mother nature, just one on one. Well it was a good decision as 30min. On stand and this guy and 4 does walked in.
    Took him with my TC omega and Hornady 250SST and blackhorn. I can hold decent groups out to 150yds and shoot 200yds but not confident at that distance yet, too much to go wrong.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…

Luckyyyyyy!

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • β˜…

Maybe a little bit but as i tell my younger brother who’s still out there trying to fill a tag. Lots of practice and right place right time.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Sure nice of that buck to lay still long enough for you to take that photo. LOL

Nice looking buck!!!!!

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • β˜…β˜…
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

Nice buck, congrats again πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.