This topic contains 27 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DaveInGA 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Relax, it was a spammer, so I dug around and found the spam hammer. It was a little rusty but it still fell with that gratifying “thunk”.

If you find spammers on our forum, please report them to me immediately. Certain times of the year the spammers come out in droves, so please help me keep them off our forum!
    Thanks!!!

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

O boy, for a minute there I thought you’d found out my secret identity. 😉

Chris C 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 157
    • Overall: 169

Which reminds me Tim………………today on Cast Boolits someone started a “Where are they” thread concerning you and Larry. It lasted about 1 page and a half and then it “mysteriously” disappeared. The powers that be over there must really dislike you guys.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Chris C;n10984 wrote: Which reminds me Tim………………today on Cast Boolits someone started a “Where are they” thread concerning you and Larry. It lasted about 1 page and a half and then it “mysteriously” disappeared. The powers that be over there must really dislike you guys.

Indeed they do. It’s called “appeasing a guilty conscience the old fashioned way”.

It sticks in my craw that people say I left of my own volition. I’ll tell you point blank, that is not true. I loved that place and did my level best to keep real information on the forefront, and I wanted the cast bullet obsession to be dramatically advanced, and I was willing to pay any price to see it happen. I was just checking my emails one day and got the message that I was permanently banned from the forum. No first and second infractions then a ten day vacation. I had two infractions for calling out run5run, Btroj, and geargnasher for taking the rifles I built them free of charge and failing to scientifically disprove the RPMTH as they said they could do very easily. I was told that if I would apologize to them, the infractions would be lifted. I gave no reply at all. Both those infractions were set to expire the day after I was permanently banned. Later I found out they kicked Larry off in the same exact hour with no previous pending infractions.
    I lost all my PMs between myself and my clients and it was extremely difficult to pick up the pieces and get back on track. I contacted a lawyer and she felt we could sue them for damages and win, but I knew that would just translate into more “fund drives” for cast bullets and the only people that it would hurt were those who exist there in blissful ignorance of who’s at the controlls.

This is not a huge forum, but I am proud that the information posted here is for the most part, solid as a rock and this sort of tom foolery will NEVER happen to anyone here under my watch. I knew Ken Caldwell (45nut) and spoke with him a lot on the phone about why castboolits was so special. Seeing that site go from what it was then, to what it is now, as all the great pillars of that community left one by one breaks my heart like a sledge hammer. I’d love to go back to 2011 and have one more conversation with 45Nut, Felix, BruceB, Jim, Molly, Larry Gibson and all the others who have died or been banned and hash out the mysteries of cast lead, knowing our backs were covered by the leadership at that time.
    The castboolits vision is lost, but I can offer what it used to be here.
    It’s not about who’s fighting who, or what mysteries are being discovered, and how many members are on the rostar. It’s about HEART, and love for the people who watch the silver stream, and the day I lose that is the day I’ll be pushing up daisy’s in a country cemetery.
    More’s the pity for the way things turned out over yonder. I truly believe they made a huge mistake and they lost more than I ever will. This place will be where I post my experiments, results, and celebrate the victories and defeats of life. I’m going to protect it and cherish it so there’s one pure place to go on the internet to find out what really makes this stuff tick. I am blessed beyond measure that so many came here too.

One other thing I would like to make you all aware of. This is not my forum. It was not my idea to name it. When I got banned from over yonder, one of the gentlemen who knew the truth of what happened asked me what I was going to do now. I told him I was going to post on facebook and just bounce from forum to forum occasionally. He was not happy with that. He bought this forum, named it, and gave me stewardship over it. That’s why I say it’s not mine. It’s ours. It’s a gift for us to use and I’m doing my best to tend to it, and make it a pleasant place to exchange ideas and advance the sport.

There you have it.

Chris C 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 157
    • Overall: 169

You had already explained the situation to me, but not quite in that much detail. Shame to see idiots ruin a good site like Cast Boolits. I am glad you told me to come here because I’ve learned a ton from you personally and from reading what others much more experienced in casting and shooting than I have posted here. I feel like a lousy sponge the way I’m soaking up all I can get, but this is where the knowledge is and I want some of it.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 499
    • Overall: 549
    • Gold

If you listen to the pundits over there I only have slow twist barrels, shoot cast bullets out of Lyman moulds, only use #2 alloy and have “anger issues”……..

I do appreciate the many supportive comments from those whom are obviously interested in furthering their cast bullet knowledge in that short lived thread…..thanks to them. The few that posted their usual vitriol demonstrated who has the “nger issues”.

However it’s good to be here where we can have honest and intelligent discussions.

Larry Gibson

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 368
    • Overall: 398

I am happy to be here where I feel I can speak my heart without getting derision and criticism.

I am thankful for each person here , you are the best.

The endless drone of bogus religious ideas was more than I was willing to bear.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 678
    • Overall: 830

I posted something like it was nicer on the “other forum.. Someone did agree shortly before the thread vanished.

Bodean98 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 103
    • Overall: 111

I joined “over there” around the time of the start of the XCB project. My interests were actually casting for 44 mag. and a recently acquired 38-55 Marlin. My brother got interested at the same time and started reading about the 30 XCB. He was suitably inspired as was I and we both dived into our own XCB projects with both feet. Much of the knowledge my brother and I now have came from reading and testing info gleaned from the likes of Goodsteel, Larry Gibson, Bjornb, There are several others but these three are the main ones. When I visit “over there” now it’s usually in the archives looking for more tidbits of info from these guys. That and I do use some of the vendors over there. Looking for wisdom and true testing over there now, leaves one with a definite “sucking ” sound. It’s like a vacuum of knowledge. Like attending a corporate meeting, you leave dumber than you came!
    I really enjoy this site and the work that is continuing. I can only hope to catch up enough to actually be able to contribute some day.
    Please carry on !!!!!!!!!

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Oh hey Larry, where’s Waldo?
    Did you see Starmetal and 45 2.1 close at hand with their not so subtle aliases?
    Sheesh. When Waksupi was carrying the hammer those twonks wouldn’t have got over the threshold. (Pun intended)
    Har!!!

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

The problem with the other forum was they made ever other person a moderator.
    When they made the main religious hack a moderator I decided to leave.
    I am a theologian, with real earned degrees, but I didn’t come here to argue religion.
    I worked in the field for seventeen years until my daughter became ill.
    I am retired now.
    If I want to argue religion ,I will go to a religious forum.

It all became a shooting gallery where people were there to argue and try to prove how much more they knew than everyone else.

I appreciate the real knowledge here ,without all the dissention.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Larry sir. It has been my experience that anything that comes from those so called experts who criticized you so severely and often needs to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Where anything I have ever seen posted under your name could be printed out, taken to the bank, used for money. Good as Gold.

In short, some of us know what we have, and listen Hard when you speak.

The Mod’s cut their own throats over there, they backed the wrong party. And they are starting to pay for it.
    If a self educated country boy like me can figure it out, I am sure many others already have also.

Mr Goodsteel sir. I have a request, I like to know who I owe. So ask him if he would consider going public.
    If not give him a big ATTABOY from me.

To be honest I will admit that I do read both forums.
    But I also know that the serious answers are here.

Keep up the good work and thank you.

Doc44 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 37

I also search the archives of the other forum while I chase a few odd rabbit trails. If I have a question this is the place to get a well considered answer, or at least encouragement in my effort.

sundog 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 28
    • Overall: 30

Indeed. This place seems to be a bit more civil – sorta like the ‘old days’ at shooters. Thank you for the effort Tim.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 787
    • Overall: 857

Civil ? Somebody just got called a twonk …….I don’t know what that means but I like it .

I think I told GS once that one of the great things that happened at CB was that a guy could come in with a spoon ,soup can and a Lee mould and inside a yr be getting everything his or her particular tool could give . There is still some digging and trailblazing happening but it isn’t like it was 2 yr ago . Mostly the cutting edge radicals keep to themselves .
    I got “yelled at” for giving a demonstrated example in 30 cal ……. Whatever your right you know all , its not like I shot the set in 6 rifles , 3 grooves , 3 cartridges and 3 twists to arrive at the example . If I have something to share that is “non-standard” I do so by pm .

Sorry I got off track …um… Oh right I remember . It facilitated a place where the cast bullet tech could grow and it did , explosively ! No pun and yet … We took the notion of a 38 SPC in an SAA slinging a 1200 fps 158 and made it a 180 at 1100 fps …. Unlike when Elmer did it we had the luxury of a 357 Ruger and didn’t blow anything up . Then we took that and turned a 200 357 out at 1200 fps . The real beauty of it is that it didn’t take 5yr from a spoon in a soup can to get to a 1200 fps 200 gr revolver load to shoot soup cans with . We were able to stand on each others shoulders and take each others work and tweek it a little and go another step or rung farther without climbing the whole ladder .

It is stagnant now 2/3 of the daily traffic is in the pit . They refuse to add an AR or auto rifle section so those are all over the place , including under pistols . Sad as it sounds I actually miss the curmudgeons that barked “read the stickies most of the answers are in there ” and I loathe that phrase ……

I just reprimanded for fussing about with sub standard equipment here ……a guy can’t get away with anything when his mentor/enabler is running the mad house …. 🙂

I don’t care who bought the space or pays the bills for the place I’m just glad that there is a place to play out in the weeds ,try new ideas and look at the details as carefully as the whole picture .

gwpercle 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 36
    • Overall: 38

Having little knowledge of what exactly transpired over at the ” other forum”, I do want to say I’m glad you set up this site. I enjoy your insight into things and there is a friendly feeling here.
    Being nice is so much better than being mean and ugly. My mamma taught me that ” if you can’t say something good then don’t say anything at all “.
    Gary

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

Things started going way downhill when 45nut got into the black helicopter/new world order stuff. Went completely off his rocker, and hadn’t been on forum for months. He definitely stabbed me in the back for doing my job, at which point a couple other moderators quit when I went out the door.
    It seems that Rob has been picking out some of the poorest choices for staff over there. No idea why, suspect he may be a democrat.
    I don’t stop in there all that often any more, too many chairbourne commandos.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

I am not slamming the Cast Bullet forum, but if this place was like there I would again pull every post and leave.
    Which I did so when I left there, I asked that every post be deleted, I never got a response thus I personally deleted (around 2K or so) and or altered each and every post I made so that it would not make sense.
    Many do not understand why I did what I did, some will remark it is / was childish, but if my friends are not welcome then neither am I or my comments / contributions.

When I left which no one seemed to notice (BTW LL and I left pretty much at the same time), maybe they did, I dunno. But I did not want to contribute to a site that has the honour level of that place. That was not meant meanly just a fact. I have no ill will towards the members there but I do against the way it is run.

In closing I am happy to see everyone likes it here much better and thinks that it is way more civil location and climate. I have a tendency to agree. So thank you (each member here) for being here and establishing the climate here.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

He definitely went off the deep end. That doesn’t deminish what he built when he was in his right mind. I came in on the back side of all that.
    I didn’t back you up when you got booted out, and I’m ashamed of that decision and I apologize for it. The staff went more amuck by the day after you got shafted and when No1 took over, it was like running a zoo where cages got banned.
    You nailed it with the democrat comment. The tactics are a perfect match, and the results are too. I believe it takes only a few hundred dollars a year to run that forum, and the rest is pure profit for the owner.
    Honestly, I don’t have a problem with that, because leading a forum does take an enormous amount of time and effort, but bad management coupled with harassment and banishment of the very people who bring THOUSANDS of views and hits to the money making machine is……well…..dumb as snake mittens.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Waksupi;n11016 wrote:
    Things started going way downhill when 45nut got into the black helicopter/new world order stuff. Went completely off his rocker, and hadn’t been on forum for months. He definitely stabbed me in the back for doing my job, at which point a couple other moderators quit when I went out the door.
    It seems that Rob has been picking out some of the poorest choices for staff over there. No idea why, suspect he may be a democrat.
    I don’t stop in there all that often any more, too many chairbourne commandos.

He definitely went off the deep end. That doesn’t deminish what he built when he was in his right mind. I came in on the back side of all that.
    I didn’t back you up when you got booted out, and I’m ashamed of that decision and I apologize for it. The staff went more amuck by the day after you got shafted and when No1 took over, it was like running a zoo where cages got banned.
    You nailed it with the democrat comment. The tactics are a perfect match, and the results are too. I believe it takes only a few hundred dollars a year to run that forum, and the rest is pure profit for the owner.
    Honestly, I don’t have a problem with that, because leading a forum does take an enormous amount of time and effort, but bad management coupled with harassment and banishment of the very people who bring THOUSANDS of views and hits to the money making machine is……well…..dumb as snake mittens.

Now, there is this narrative that has been very carefully propagated by certain factions in that place, that decries science and the pursuit of excellence as offensive and contrary to the cast bullet sport.
    I call BS on that. The moment you walk up to a reloading press, there are certain things that simply must be right. At no time is anyone offended by the reloading manual that recommends only certain powders, and a range of charge weights to be used within those powder selections, in spite of the fact that there are dozens of other options available. Everyone from the most advanced shooter, to the most rank newb, pretty much run in those tracks. That’s because solid science demonstrated that those propellants at those specific ranges give you both the safest place to load, and the most likely to give good performance. We listen carefully to the recommendations of those with more experiance and equipment…….and it is seen as a distinct advantage.
    I see cast bullets as being no different. Some people use cast as a way experiance the freedom of making their own ammo from scratch, but they don’t feel free if they take advice from anyone. The consequence of their hard headedness is that the firearms they load for are little more useful than a very expensive roll of firecrackers. Lots of noise and smoke, but not much in the way of precision.
    Others are more humble and are willing to listen to those who give advice based on the triple prong of science, experiance, and a willingness to teach, and those people make solid strides forward.
    I see no reason why those more experienced should be an affront to those who are less experienced when they openly ask for real results and openly post their own for comparison. Throughout history, that has been considered a GOOD THING because it helps people to learn quickly. In fact, the only people who have a problem with this excellent system are those who think it’s more important that everybody gets a blue ribbon. Well everybody DOESNT get a blue ribbon in this life. in fact, often you find those who got the blue ribbon did so by humbly listening to those who were far better than they werpe.

I dont know about you guys, but I can think of no better place to be, than surrounded by people who I know are much better than I am at everything I want to be good at. If my efforts are made to look pitiful by men who are willing to teach me, then life is good and exciting.
    An organization that penalizes those who have demonstrated greatness and gives a free ride to those who have demonstrated foolishness is bound for destruction. It will always sink to the lowest common denominator.
    Thats not the way we work here. This is not “socialist cast bullets for dummies” this is GSF, and greatness will be held in high regard, while foolishness will be called for what it is.

This is a solid crowd of shooters here, and we are blessed beyond measure that we have solid experiance by the trucklload to build upon.

Waksupi 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 106
    • Overall: 112

I think when we started the forum, we pretty much ran it as a republic. Consensus after discussion. It isn’t like that now, bat shit crazy seems to rule the day with some staff members. No need for an apology, you were still fairly new in the job. This is more like the original Shooters.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Well, I do run GSF in that way. It’s just being so small it’s only me and the gent who bought the place, but I have encouraged member participation. I didn’t choose all the forums and sub forums here. The members did.
    Like I said, I’m just here as a steward. A forum is only as good as its membership, so the members should have some say in how the place looks and runs.

The biggest complaints I’ve had are related to the quality of the forum, so I’m looking at upgrading our software in the near future.

Newtire 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 1
    • Overall: 1

Hi Goodsteel. I have a shooting friend, lives over in a little town about 20+ miles from here. He got kicked off of Cast Boolits for making a post or 2 that the moderator’s buddy made himself. I asked one of the moderators about it at the Winnemucca shoot but just got blown off-in person even. Wondered where all the good people went. I hope your site takes off. I was a member over on the old Aimoo site. Met some very good friends thru Cast Boolits. A bunch of us get together once a week for coffee at Barnes and Noble. Real good to see there is a place where all the people who got kicked off came to. Will tell our old buddy Fastfire about your site. If anyone would be a valuable assett, he would. He doesn’t seem all that interested in muzzle loading but maybe if we could work on him a bit, he still might be saved. A good guy really!

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 787
    • Overall: 857

Welcome aboard ! Glad you found us . You’ll find a familiar rebel or two here .

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Hey if he casts, reloads or shoots, give him an invite. As long as he can sorta kinda get along most of the time with folks who do the same, it sounds like fun.

dragon813gt 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 79
    • Overall: 84

Waksupi;n11034 wrote: I think when we started the forum, we pretty much ran it as a republic. Consensus after discussion. It isn’t like that now, bat shit crazy seems to rule the day with some staff members. No need for an apology, you were still fairly new in the job. This is more like the original Shooters.

I realize this thread is a month old but I can’t help myself. I thought I was the only one who though it’s gone a little crazy. The moderator selection is really baffling. The “democrat” things makes sense in regard to the S&S forum. They effectively killed it w/ stupid rules. Killing one of the biggest drivers of traffic to site still has me confused. I still post there because arguing w/ fools is amusing at times. The membership size does help when looking for hard to find items. I’ve had great luck w/ the WTB forum. Having that disappear would hurt a lot of casters. I come here when I want answers that have been tested and then tested and then tested…….you get the idea.

WCM 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I still post there because arguing w/ fools is amusing at times.

You’ll find no shortage of Buffoons or Ass Hats to argue with , that’s for sure.

DaveInGA 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 44
    • Overall: 50

I’ve always tended to come and go on internet forums, as my interests and time demands (I run a small business.) move around with the seasons. Last time I spent any time over there, I noticed a distinct similarity to ARFcom (a place I absolutely despise, their ignorance of the AR15 and it’s functions is amazingly sad to read). I haven’t dumped my membership there, in the chance someone with some sense posts something useful, but I will likely miss that post because I seldom go there. I guess my hope is to manage to redirect them here. I quit contributing two years ago and will no longer do so. Back when, I felt contributing helped Ken financially. Nowdays, they just line someone’s pockets who doesn’t need the money.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us