Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

I had read some where on here where to get a true idea of where your load, rifle and or the shooter at a 10 shot group tells a lot. the rifle is a savage model 11/111 fcns topped with a nikon bdc buckmaster. the load was pmc brass, win primer (not mag.) win 748 (the powder amount exceeded Hornady manual but not anothers’ max load) topped with a hornady sst. the range was 100 yards. I am really happy with the group becasue I am always seem to be fighting vertical stringing. I know that this group is by no means great but I am still pretty happy it.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

If you are happy with the groups, then it is great no argument here.

2-1/4″outside to outside at 100 = meat on the table

Normally I would recommend 42-44 grs of IMR 4895 with the 168/175 bullet (I’m assuming 308) but you seem to be happy with your load which is not a bad choice at all
      ( might play a little bit with distance to the lands might see a improvement then again maybe not)

redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

yes it is a 308 win. and the bullet is a 150 gn I have tried 165 gn bullets with not much good result thanks for the reply

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Very well done.
      Punch the stock on the forend. Can you hear it touch the barrel? You should hear a “bung bung bung” sound. If you hear a “clack clack clack” sound, scrape out the barrel channel, and you might see that group turn into a round 2″ group.
      Work your seating depth, and try 42.5 grains of IMR4895.

I hsve a 308 that will shoot 2.5″ groups with 748 but it pulls it right together at 1.4″ with 4895.

Very well executed group.
      If you had shot those three at a time at several different targets, you could have gotten the impression that the rifle wants to shoot with three shots touching, and you’d burn a jug of powder trying to make that happen in the center of a target spot, the whole time explaining the “fliers” on your self.

By shooting an honest 10 shot group, you’ve established what’s really going on, and more importantly, if you make a change you can tell if it helped or hurt.

Very well done!!!!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

Definitely try 4895 (H or IMR), or Varget. 748 is very seldom an optimum powder for the 308. Notice that your rifle wouldn’t shoot the 165 grainers well; I bet that will change if one of the above powders is tried. The only ball powder that would shoot well for me in the 308 was BLC-2 or the MIL equivalent WC846.
      Happy shooting, you’re on the right track.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Totally agree that if you want to find a truly accurate load, 10 shots are needed. I start with 5 shot groups to save time, money and wear & tear on the gun and me. If the 5 shot group looks bad, the load is rejected. If it looks good then at least one ten shot group. That much shooting is a chore for some (hard to focus for that length of time and then the time to let the barrel cool); and it is discouraging for many. They see a “lucky” sub MOA three shot group and wet their pants with their success. But cannot hold that when 10 shots are fired. Almost any rifle is sub MOA if you fire enough three shot groups – but people believe what they want to believe.

An accurate gun will hit that MOA standard with EVERY shot.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

dverna;n9399 wrote: ………….. Almost any rifle is sub MOA if you fire enough three shot groups – but people believe what they want to believe.

An accurate gun will hit that MOA standard with EVERY shot.

Hey be careful there ya just might get lumped into the “Elitists” crowd LMAO

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

In my area of the woods folks around me shoot on their place as do I. I’ve a dedicated 100yd range and a pistol range off on another spot nearby. My neighbors across the road (fellow shooters and loader buddies) tell me they can always tell when I’m shooting a rifle, and especially for group as there will be 3 to 4 minutes or more between shots. Further they know it’s me as they’ll count 10 rounds fired in that slow string. The other folks in the area pop off rounds so fast you’d think they have money to burn. 15 rounds in such rapid fashion you know they’re idiots! You know they ain’t hitting a thing!

I appalude your paitence and dedication to your shooting. Paitence and disipline are the two cornerstones of true marksmanship. Well done sir!

redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze

thank you for all your kind replies, I got some h4895 it is showing promise still got more work to do with thanks again

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.