Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

I have been wanting a “high end” practical/tactical scope for a long time.  Several years back I narrowed it down to a Nightforce NXS 8×32 with MOAR reticle.  My intention is to build a long range rifle (okay, Tim is going to build it for me) with a 31″ Broughton barrel chambered in 30-06 XCB with 12″ twist on a nice stainless M70 action bedded in a McMillan stock.  That can push a 175 MK or 178 ELD-Match at 2950 fps and be good to right at 1 mile.  I have lots of places to shoot that here in western Arizona.  So I sold a couple rifles I no longer used and got the scope.

I’ve initially put it on the stainless M70 action I’m building the rifle on.  The M70 was rebuilt by Jim Cloward (a well known match rifle gunsmith in NW Washington).  It has a 22″ Kreiger 10″ twist barrel on it and is chambered for .308W.  I had John Taylor (Puyallup, Wa) thread the barrel for my Sionics suppressor a couple years back.  I’ve had it to the range a couple times palying with shimming the rear of the base which already had a 20 degree cant.  Cloward made that base also which I originally had in on my M70  Target rifle.  The rings are Redfields which are also adjustable for a bit of windage.

I have it now so, with a 200 yard zero, there is still 58 moa of elevation adjustment.  The windage is centered in it’s range with 22+ moa left and right with the 200 yard zero.  Given the 2650 fps muzzle velocity with the 175 MK (44.5 gr Varget in LC Match cases with WLR primers) that load will hold sonic for 1400 yards.  With the range of elevation adjustment I can set the zero at 1200 yards, the powder at 22 (where the MOAR reticle reads true MOA)  and hold up 9 moa for 1300 yards and up 19 moa for 1400 yards……….what a good time!

Any ways, just in getting the base shimmed so the 200 yard zero was close to the bottom of the total elevation adjustment range (65 moa) and centering the windage via the ring adjustment I shot this 5 shot group at 100 yards and then moved to 200 yards.

After a bit of shimming (with elevation up 7 moa from the bottom) I shot this 10 shot group at 200 yards.

1.7″ at 200 yards is .85 moa……  that poses a problem…..this rifle shoots just too good right now to have the barrel taken off…….. problems, problems…….

Anyways, here’s the rifle with the Nightforce mounted…..ugly as sin….but sure a nice shooter…….

got to get busy and shoot that barrel out so Tim can build my “long Range” rifle………

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Today; 5 shots on steel ram at 300 yards……just under 2″ ………

Larry Gibson

Design Team – Josh and Sarah 
      Keymaster
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 27

Great scope and setup. A few years back I had the privilege of shooting an Accuracy International .308 platform with a very similar scope. It would be great to see what it can do past 600 yards.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Beautiful gun.  I don’t see anything ugly about it.  Good shooting Larry.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 134
    • Overall: 151

Good looking rifle great groops. Just under 2in at 300 yards I would be real happy with that

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Larry, we should talk about a custom rail for that rifle. I can fabricate a rail at any MOA downward cant you would desire, and it will fit the action with zero torque on the rail, action or screws (screw holes are drilled square to the action, not the rail ie:perfection.

All that shimming is making me squirm like nails on a chalkboard.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Gold

Tim

The plan is for you to build a custom rail for that action when you build my LR rifle on it.  No guess work on the angle of the dangle now……..seems to be set just about right.  Just got to shoot this barrel out……or at least a bit more……..

Larry Gibson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us