This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 195
    • Overall: 218

What is your favorite cast bullet gun? Well I guess my first would be my 1851 colt navy replica I got when I was about 15. It is a 36cal six shot that I put probably thousands of balls through it. The first cast bullets I made and used was with my 50 cal rifles and my 1858 Remington pistoles. Shot them a lot also. Then I got a rossi 357 mag 6 in ss. This was before the internet. Didint know why my hot loads leaded the-barrel so bad and was so inaccurate with hard cast store bought bullets. The guy I sold it to still has it and said it’s one of the most accurate pistoles he has. Not for me with cast it wasn’t.  I sold that gun thinking sompthing was wrong with it. Then I finally started loading for my two S and W 38 sp model 10 police trade in pistols. I have tried about every mold lee makes in 358 cal and two 9mm molds in them. The older I get the more I like the 38’s less noise and kick. I also in the last 5 years started loading for my two 9mm. With no problem after reading on differet forums on how to do it. But I thank my favorite cast bollet load or gun is my 308 savage axis . I got the load from Larry Gibson using bullseye 3.2 gr with a 90 to 100 gr lead pistole bullet sized 310. This load is very quiet like a 22 no kick and very fun to shoot all the kids and wife love to shoot it. The 38’s are my favorite pistole cartarage to load and shoot

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Mine is a Sako AV made mere months after I was born. I rebarreled it to 358 Winchester. The bullet is the RCBS 35-200-FN cast of 95/2.5/2.5 over a compressed load of IMR3031. Shoots MOA for ten shots at 100 yards.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Never even seen or heard of a 358 win around here untill I got on your forum.looks like a awesome dear rifle

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

It’s the most ideal, high performance, cast bullet rifle caliber ever produced with the possible exception of the 30-30 Winchester (specifically in Winchester 94 rifles. Marlin is twisted too fast in 30-30 to take advantage of the case capacity).

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I don’t think I have a favorite . Certainly a few have been step in the running shower and get wet easy while others were just down right obstinate coming together at rate and number of adjustments roughly equal to filling up the Grand Canyon one marble at a time .
    Despite having 2 rifles built with the exclusive idea in mind that they would be cast shooters the 1949 Savage 325C 30-30 has to be the king of cast . You really just pick a bullet and a slow for weight powder and go shoot groups .
    The purpose built 358 and 7RWH were easy and certainly shoot well beyond their value . It took a little fussing to get the load in both .

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

This caliber to me would make the perfect cast bullet gun. I could use all my 38 molds and only need a 200 gr fn for hunting .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.