Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Capt45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 17

Is a Steven’s Favorite in rough shape(as described by seller) worth buying? My idea would be to purchase and have it re-bored to a different caliber. Anybody have any ideas?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

REG is your guy. He’s chased that goat all over knob hill and found it back in it’s pen.
      My opinion is “No it is not”

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

NOT!!!
      Agree with Tim
      Rimfire, you would have to convert it to centerfire, why not buy a good rifle to start with??

Mike

Capt45
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks fella’s, I’m the high bidder at present, but the auction runs for another week. I WILL BE OUTBID!!!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Like many other things in life there are those that swear by them and those that swear at them. Yes, I took one and for a year or two rebuilt it into a .32 S&W. I won’t go into the many details but came to this conclusion . I think you could get away with it but you are going to either learn how to do it yourself or shell out a ton of bux to pay someone to come up with a rifle that is just barely within normal safety factors and then using a very low pressure type powder. I finally developed loads that actually preformed OK but by using Pyrodex. Had meant to rebarrel it back to a .22 LR but want to try one more time this time using Trail dust but understand this too might be a futile effort as that small amount of that type of powder might not even get the bullet out of the barrel.
      Screws can be replaced, links, etc and proper fitting can be done with the breechblock to frame fit, all of these will help but the single biggest factor that is on my mind every time I pull the trigger is the receiver frame itself. They seem to have been made of some kind of simple malleable iron and after looking at a rather large bunch of them I have noticed spots in some that appear to be like a casting inclusion and are hard spots. These in time could act as a stress riser allowing the frame to fail from that point. Also if you look at many of them you quickly see that even though they appear to be all symmetrical from the exterior machining to the interior rough cast surface. This shows up as differences in wall thickness of the cast and locations of the various drilled holes in relation to the cast internal boss’s.
      None of this mattered in the original calibers as they are all from the black powder era. Modern smokless powder develops is pressures much differently generally much quicker thus putting much different stress’s on the metal itself. In failing cases there is simply not enough elasticity in the metal to allow for this rapid pressure rise and in the case of a spike for what ever reason could and does lead to a failing of the base metal.
      If I ever stumbled across another on in excellent condition at the right price I might pick it up for one of the Grandkids but it would be a wall hanger only.

Capt45
      Participant
      • Bronze

Nuff said; BTW, I was outbid, I’ll be leavin’ that one alone.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

If you really want a good RB, just buy one of these:
      http://www.tippmannarmory.com/index.html

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Nice looking action and 4140 is TOUGH !

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.