Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

While sizing a few buckets of 5.56/.223 brass I came upon the one in the attached photo. It took considerable force to size it using my RCBS Rockchucker Supreme in a RCBS small base die. Note the extreme amount of brass at the base that still is not sized. This must have been someone’s really hot load. The case is destined for the scrap bucket. In about 20 lbs of brass so far this is the only one this bad. Something to watch out for.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

I have bought app 3k in range pickup (as well as what i find when I go to the club–Less and less at Club)
      I toss in tumbler and clean then sort by head stamp -crimp/ no crimp
      I could be sorting 7-8 head stamps 4 main ones and 5th bucket for the oddballs that I resort later (also finding berdan primers)

When I sort head stamps I also look at primer and if Primer looks funky in to the scrap bucket it goes
      223 brass is not worth the problem for the odd pc of brass

Thinner neck brass gets earmarked for possable conversion to 300 BO
      Nickle stays as 223
      I single stage deprime size (using the baggie method and rcbs lube) in the the last 1k I did i probaly had 5-10 just like that–Toss

Using a Dillon pocket swage for the crimped pockets

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

When in doubt, toss it out.

In addition to what you do JHSFun, if the new primer goes in will little to no resistance, it gets tossed. Too many people load this round way hotter than it should be. And, they wonder why their gun gets tied up with a primer in the trigger mechanism. I know guys who have this happen about every other trip to the range. I have discussed their loads with them. One in particular always replies that he likes them a little hot. I keep my brass separate, and shoot only my own.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Another thing that could and probably did cause this is a chamber that was cut oversize.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.