Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Had a nice birthday day . Jack Benny and I , 39 again . 30 yr experience with 21 maybe ?
      I’ve decided that this was 49 , from here on I’ll count down that way I have an excuse for being a complete idiot when I’m 17 again .

Had a nice breakfast .

Loaded 20 223’s , got out 20 factory 223s and took the NIB 223 out , fixed that NIB problem . I’m not overly impressed with Aguila CF ammo , I guess that’ll teach me to shoot that store bought stuff . Had 1/5 that failed to fire of the factory stuff only 1/20 mine . No issues with the firing pin with the bolt out so maybe something in the action or headspace . The cases ,new and fired do have a tinge of AI to them and I should measure for good measure . It’s almost like a Wylde with a 556 go gauge …… IDK . It does shoot 22 mag plus level loads to dead jack rabbit groups off the truck hood and a coat so all’s not lost.

Shot the NIB Heritage 22 revolver squibed the 4 shot ….it just cleared the forcing cone . That could have sucked . It stuck just tight enough to shut down shooting that anymore .

Went back to the house had some lunch . Checked the rifle over and the misfires ……. No real answers to be had . Looks almost like an AI chamber with minimum sized ammo ….. IDK . I guess I need a Headspace gauge and to take some serious measurements .

I almost bought an action wrench while Ms was ordering my birthday books , Ken Waters Pet loads and Notebook . I have barrel blocks and a Savage B nut wrench , so I should be able to fix it if it’s just sloppy fitting …..

I guess as long as I have the tools set up I’ll change barrel on the 06′ too . I have a nice 1-12 to replace the 1965 special order 1-8.5 .

Dinner with Ms , my youngest daughter , step son and 3 grands . Ms was supposed to take me out for steak and lobster . I got no kick against beef tips in gravy , mashed potatoes and cob corn but it sure wasn’t a lobster …. Oh well all that garlic butter is bad for me and they probably would have burned the steak anyway .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Speaking of bad ammo, about a month ago I thought I was realllllllllly slipping when my groups with my prairie dog rifle (heavy barrel AR with Zeiss Conquest scope and Timney trigger) we all over the target at 100 yds. Wanting to work on my trigger work, I loaded up some “blasting ammo” (unknown cartridges that you accumulate over time). They went into less than 3″ despite the strong and gusting wind. The lousy culprits? Fiocchi 55 gr FMJ factory in .223. Turns out, my rifle doesn’t like them at all.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I think the problem after measuring the fired factory loads against a failed to fire against a randomly selected chamber drawing I’ve decided that the discourse is with zero minimum ammo and a first cut on a new reamer chamber . The head to shoulder length is dead on the shoulder diameter is a little full as is the neck . Which opens up to .226 ID on what is HS as 556 . The neck to shoulder is .001 long .

Exhaustion over took me last night before I was ready to pull the duds .

So in my disjointed mechanics mind I’m thinking that relitive to the chamber the undersized shoulder went forward an extra .001 on top of the .001 short case . This further exaggerated by hard primers , the push feed and ejector plunger . Over/under stacking at its finest .

There is also the possiblity of something interfering with full firing pin travel in the action the travel out of the action is long enough to hit anything inside the extractor .

The #10 brass bolt popped the stuck bullet out of the 22 . Those little buggers sure get beat up getting to the rifling . Odd thing of note is that the heel shank broke away from the bullet .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Well happy Birthday a day late!!!!

I don’t know about your FTF issue. .002 stackup should not make any difference whatsoever unless you were on the edge to start with. Double check your firing pin protrusion, and remember life’s too short for janky ammo!

Disassemble your bolt and clean the dickens out of it.  #1 cause of mechanical failure is crud.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

“But it’s a brand new Savage with 55 rounds down range ” ….. As if in today’s QC that would matter . The bolt was the second place I looked for answers . I’m now betting on 1st junk/ill fit in the trigger cavities and second on plain old bad ammo . I’m just glad I found it if it is bad ammo on the range in a bolt gun and not in a more critical situation with an AR .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Ok I rechecked my measurements Fired, New added to the SAAMI drawing I’m +0-.004 head to neck/shoulder and +.016 head to shoulder . My shoulder is +.007 .

SAAMI vs live

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.