Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

On Pandora, I just listened to Kansas’ Dust in the Wind.

It seems like I’m on a roller coaster that has crested the top, and is now speeding ever faster towards the bottom. I’m closing in on 63. In July 2015 I buried the woman of my dreams in Canyon Diablo on the Navajo Reservation. Our time here on earth is limited. Don’t waste any of it. My goal is to inspire as many of my grandchildren/nieces/nephews to get a good education, and to pass on not only tradition but wisdom and honor.

What are you going to leave behind?

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

RC,
      I have pondered your question and come up with as good an answer I as am able, weak as it may be.
      First I cannot imagine losing the girl of my dreams. My wife of thirty plus years, in my opinion, is as good of a woman that God ever allowed to walk the earth. The list of her attributes and accomplishments is lengthy to say the least and for me to lose her would be devastating. In my sinful selfishness I wish to die first so that I don’t have that to deal with. Terrible aren’t I?
      Like you I wish to inspire all those that I am able in the things that I love. The outdoors, shooting, hunting, fishing, and instill a sense of tradition and honor. I also wish to leave behind a love for our Savior and for my children and grandchildren to realize the sinners they are and to seek redemption. In this I feel I am severely lacking and in need of a kick in the pants. Again, terrible aren’t I?
      I will say again, I can’t even imagine the loss of the girl of your dreams and offer my sincere condolences.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your wife/ friend/ everything.
      My wife and I have been together for about 22 years now and it only seems like it all started just a few years ago. Life is really good with her, I don’t have the proper words to express it all. I can’t imagine her not being here. We have what we call the bubble, When I come in from outside and we meet at the door for a short embrace( hug), it seems like the rest of the world melts away and we are surrounded by a bubble of love, everything is right with the universe for those few moments, nothing else matters. That’s our bubble. Even if the outside world is causing problems, everything is good and right inside the bubble for those few moments.
      We have tried to teach our children to love, live and laugh. And that it’s okay to not just love your partner, but to be in love with them. We both have our burdens, she has Cancer(stage 4), I have Gulf War issues as well as other physical limitations left over from a rear end accident…, and even this summer she fell and broke her leg and dislocated her ankle, but when we’re together it all melts away. Love isn’t the proper word for it all. People need to realize how easy this can be, to have every day. If it isn’t going to matter in 10 years, let it go. lol
      Every day is a blessing and this is what we have tried to pass on.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Over and over the woman that gave me 4 amazing kids has over and over shown her true colors ……black like her soul. 22 yrs I have what they call stock brokers syndrome . So I bumble along with a woman who gives me more than i can give back .
      For those that have had a lifetime with the right one I can’t begin to tell you how lucky ….no truly fortunate you are . It is brutal to loose the one I have watched helplessly as much of my family muddled through .

What legacy will I leave ?
      Well I’m 50 , based on family history I have 35 yr left to make a mark .
      3 vets ,1 Iraqistan combat , 1 on the USS Reagan for aid support to Japan after the Tsunami that gave us the Fukushima mess, 1 waiting quietly at Ft Campbell for a chance at well survival …..
      1 daughter that is an amazing artist , not in a Michael Angelo way but in a description becomes real way .

6 Grandchildren .

I have a family legacy that leave me shoes that can’t be fill by 10 of me . It’s enough to know that I am loved and maybe even glorified by my kids . I will likely never be anywhere near a document that creates a new nation nor end 60 yrs of border disputes . Odds are against my being present at a Sunday morning event that changes the world forever .

So what will I leave ?
      Stories of a man so hard he couldn’t be broken even when he was crushed ,so strong he would carry the world on just 1 shoulder , a warrior so fierce none would face him , a man so gentle he could share a single dandelion chute without breaking the fluff . 11 twenty-somethings have sent me letters thanking me for being a great dad when they really needed 1 . That humbles me . 2 young men thanked me for teaching them honor and courage . 1 I had never met .

I don’t see how I can ask for any more . I should probably work on forgiveness there are a couple of festering wounds ……or maybe they are just painful scars there to remind me who to trust . Yes forgiveness is a fault I must fix……..

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

Rattlesnake Charlie;n10051 wrote: On Pandora, I just listened to Kansas’ Dust in the Wind.

Dust in the Wind.;)

My Will request that my ashes be put on a rocky hill where I hunted all my life.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

Rattlesnake Charlie;n10051 wrote: On Pandora, I just listened to Kansas’ Dust in the Wind.

Sorry for your loss RC! I truly can’t imagine….

That’s a big question you left at the end of your original post….

I don’t have the gift to write this all, so here are some bullet points…..no pun intended…in no particular order!

– Two spectacular kids – a daughter that already survived growing up with me a role model, college, and most importantly a bout with spinal caner (fully recovered now) and a red headed son who is currently surviving with me a role model and makes me laugh and smile everyday.

-A beautiful woman who showed up in my life at just the right time to save me. 15 years ago I was a mess and she put my life back on track.

–If I am gone before my folks, the absolute best parents a kid could every ask for. Bent over backwards for us kids and even though we had next to nothing, we never once went hungry. They most certainly busted their asses for us!

-Enough “supplies” for my family and the next generation of our family to protect themselves for when “supplies” and not available sometime in future

-A boat load of great friends who have my back and know that I had theirs! Some of whom I am sure will let a six pack sitting where my ashes (“Dust in the Wind”) are spread.

-A USPS mail lady that absolutely hates me and will be happy when I am dead…..yes I am sure of that!

-A neighborhood of clueless neighbors will also be happy when I am gone…..yes I am sure of that too!

-I could mention my pride and joy, a very early AR in all the correct vintage furniture, but it’s going to the grave with me…..whole new meaning to pry it from my cold dead hands…..

-Last but not least my ashes….these will be spread on my favorite hunting spot. A place we call “The Well”. I found it 15 years ago and it’s never seems to go dry. Best part is it’s on the game lands and in 15 years, I have yet to see another hunter there or any signs of them.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

I am sorry for your loss, a good woman is joyful like a gentle rain.

What am I going to leave behind?
      More Christians This year, monthly visits to the County Jail on Sundays, annual Mission trip to Juarez to build a house for the needy and
      cooking hotdogs and tortilla for 100+ and passing out Hispanic Bibles and helpful information. Annual Vacation Bible School.
      Washing dishes and taking out trash on Wednesday night suppers.
      Visits in the local schools to tell kids what a VETERAN is.
      But I am only about 68. WHEW
      Billy Graham said he had never seen a U-Haul behind a hearse 🙂
      Mike

P.S. Rattlesnake Charlie, you are in Los Alamos and I am in Amarillo, maybe we can get together and play?
      We are ONLY 255 miles apart 🙂
      I used to do some playing at Los Alamos when I was at the Interservice Nuclear Weapons School
      and when I worked at Pantex.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Personal contact info sent via PM.
      Looking forward to meeting up with you, skeettx.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Answered 🙂 good luck with your hog killing !!

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

It seems like I’m on a roller coaster that has crested the top, and is now speeding ever faster towards the bottom. I’m closing in on 63. In July 2015 I buried the woman of my dreams in Canyon Diablo on the Navajo Reservation. Our time here on earth is limited. Don’t waste any of it. My goal is to inspire as many of my grandchildren/nieces/nephews to get a good education, and to pass on not only tradition but wisdom and honor.

I am truly sorry for the loss of your wife Rattlesnake Charlie.
      My wife and I have been married thirty five years, and I couldn’t possibly imagine being without her.
      She has had a good bit of sickness from time to time.

I wouldn’t attempt to write my own eulogy .
      I will leave that to someone else.

I would like to be remembered as someone who had impact on people.
      As an encourager who made people smile.
      A man of integrity.

Family has always been a top priority with me, so that is how I invested most of my time.

I believe that those we have a chance to raise are a big part of what we leave behind in this world.
      Our genetics and influence .

I don’t look for a lot of accolades, and I doubt I have made that much difference in the world outside of that.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.