Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I built my shotmaker the other night, now I need my drippers. My question is does anyone here have experience making lead shot? If someone does, is it easier to make larger shot than the small sizes? Originally I was only going to make 7.5 to 6 shot and call it good, but recently I’ve been loading a bunch of 3/4 Oz loads and I like to use 9 shot.

Once I get set up I’m only going to drop one or two sizes of shot, and if 9 shot is a hassle to drop then I’ll make do with a larger size.

Thanks,
      Vann

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Years ago I did some research and I think the drippers can be picky. If I remember correctly, they are 2 bore sizes going through them. I think a little bigger where the lead goes in and then the hole gets smaller right before it comes out?? Either way, your shot more than likely won’t be perfectly round and you will have to screen it to sort sizes (if you are that particular). Not to mention cleaning the coolant off before screening. Then a tumble in graphite. It was just too much work for the 6 or 8 boxes of shells I shoot a year lol. I like being self sufficient and all, but……. lol

If you shoot a lot like a trap league in is worth it. Please post pics as this always sounded like a really cool project.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

IllinoisCoyoteHunter;n1771 wrote: Years ago I did some research and I think the drippers can be picky. If I remember correctly, they are 2 bore sizes going through them. I think a little bigger where the lead goes in and then the hole gets smaller right before it comes out?? Either way, your shot more than likely won’t be perfectly round and you will have to screen it to sort sizes (if you are that particular). Not to mention cleaning the coolant off before screening. Then a tumble in graphite. It was just too much work for the 6 or 8 boxes of shells I shoot a year lol. I like being self sufficient and all, but……. lol

If you shoot a lot like a trap league in is worth it. Please post pics as this always sounded like a really cool project.

Second!!!!

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I use a lot of shot, I went through 6 bags last year. Would have been more but I try to limit what I use. The story is I shoot 3 gun and cowboy action plus skeet, I’m loading for a friend also who shoots when I do plus practice, so I burn a lot of lead.

For the practice, cowboy, and 3 gun any shot will do. I’ll buy good shot for the skeet.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 81

Yep you go through quite a bit LOL!

bullet maker
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 76
      • Overall: 88

I have used commercial shot as well as shot I make for trap. I do not see any difference in the number of birds I break. If I were competeing at a high level, I might see a difference. We make about 200lbs at a time. I make #7.5 shot. Once the machine is up to temp, we see no problems.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

He he he
      I go through a bag of shot every two weeks. That is only 400 one ounce shotshells.
      I have a friend that makes shot and for every 50 pounds of wheelweight ingots that I give to him
      he gives me back a 25 pound bag of shifted, graphited shot.
      So he gets one bag and I get one bag and he does all the work, sweet.
      Mike

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Very sweet, my friend provides the lead and I cast the bullets. Once I get my drippers, I’m hoping I can get everything figured out. I’m going to start with a gas burner and 5 drippers first. If it works out I’ll probably go electric and build a PID set up. I got a couple Eurotherm and Fuzzy PID’s I’ve been salvaging from work.

KYCaster
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 6

I found it very hard to get really consistent shot size with the Littleton shot maker.

Depending on variations in lead composition and temp., shot size would vary from 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 from the same drippers. The few attempts I made with larger and smaller drippers didn’t seem to be worth the effort at the time, The 7 1/2 – 8 1/2 worked just fine for my purposes and some of the guys I was supplying did very well at the trap shoots with it.

Jerry

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I used to make my own shot but wheel weights got to be too precious and had to be reserved for making bullets. My shot maker was a square electric skillet with a row of holes at one end and a piece of sheet metal at an angle for the ramp. The holes weren’t important–just drill small and make them larger if needed. The ramp is what’s important, and the coolant. I never could get antifreeze to work. Brake fluid worked great.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Vann keep us posted on the shot making I suspect I will be interested in some…

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I’m working on taxes, right now. My return is my play money.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Vann,
      I ran across a book that you Might be interested in dealing with dropping Shot, The Best part is it is in the public Domain hence one can download or copy paste etc without copy rights.

Title:
      Knight’s American Mechanical Dictionary: A Description of Tools …, Volume 3
      By Edward Henry Knight

Page 1875 is what you want to give a good read to.
      here is the beginning to pique your interest

” Shot. 1. (Fire-arms.) a. Small spherical pellets of lead or shot metal, used for shooting birds and other small game. They were originally made by rolling an ingot of lead into a sheet of a thickness corresponding to the size of the shot to be made, then cutting the lead into cubes and placing the latter in a “tumbler”; the action of the leaden cubes when rubbed against each other in the operation of the apparatus gradually rounding them until brought to a more or less spherical form.
      This was superseded by the method now employed of dropping the molten metal, in a finely divided state, from a hight into water, invented by Watts, of Bristol, England, about 1782. It is said that he dreamed one night that he was out in a shower of rain, every drop of which was a round pellet of lead. Musing on the matter, he became interested in the question whether such would be the result of dropping melted lead. He accordingly melted some lead, and poured it from the top of St. Mary Redcliffe Church into water below. His plan succeeded, and he sold the invention for a handsome sum of money.
      The following direction for making shot is found in a work published in the seventeenth century : —
      “Melt lead down In an Iron kettle, skim It, and when it is so hot that it begins to turn greenish, strew as much fine powdered auripigmentum (arsenic) upon it as will lie upon a shilling to every twelve or fifteen pounds of lead, which then must be stirred well, and the auripigmentum will flame. A little may be taken off in a ladle for an essay, and which, when reduced
      to a proper heat, may be dropped into a glass of water. If the drops prove round and without tails, there is auripigmentum enough therein, and the temper of the heat is as it should be; but, if otherwise, more auripigmentum must be added, and the heat augmented till it be found right”
      Small shot is mentioned as hail-shot in many English statutes of the Tudors and Stuarts.
      A shot-tower is usually about 180 feet high, and 80 in diameter at bottom, 16 at the upper story, where the melting is conducted in brick furnaces built against the wall around the central opening down which the melted lead is rained into a watertank at the base of the tower. Platforms with furnaces are also built at lower elevations for making smaller sizes of shot. The method of reducing the lead to a shower of drops Is either by their cohesive tendency causing them to become spherical in falling.
      Many of the drops, however, assume an elongated form, and sometimes two or more drops coalesce; these form imperfect shot, which are afterward separated.”

I could continue on but I think you would be better served with the link (https://books.google.com/books?id=eD…method&f=false)

It further discusses the Watt’s method, Cold Air method, and other methods including sorting out perfect from non perfect and sizing with seives through a chest of drawers. ( I misspelled earlier and did not catch it )
      Here is my observation of what is written is the 180 feet is not required for smaller shot but a proper amount of arsenic within the alloy is.

Hopefully this helps.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks, Sgt. I like reading about how things used to be done. Any information, is good information.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.