• Author
      Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

I just hate it when my “start” load is the top end of the RPM Threshold………

A while back rjathon from over on CBF sent me some PC’d 7mm bullets to test.

The green ones are “hard” and the blue ones are “soft” according to rjathon. Thought I’d start out with the blues and used H4895 with a Dacron filler. I also had to size the bullets to .288 so they would chamber in my Chilean M94. I’d not used this particular cast bullet before, especially when PC’d. From my previous experience with PC’d I knew they would shoot better when lubed so I lubed them with 2500+ while sizing them. I figured 30 gr would put them out around 2000 fps so I loaded 10 shot test strings of 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30 gr in W-W cases with WLR primers. They sure were purty in that box…… πŸ˜€

Got to the range early on and had the place to myself…..wonderful! Got set up with a bullseye (old NRA 8″ 50 yard pistol target) at 100 yards and the Oehler M35P chronograph set up. The test rifle is my M95 Chilean Mauser. I bought it as a 90% finished “sporter”. Barrel is still 22″ long and it is in excellent condition. I finished the rifle adding the Redfield receiver sight and converting it to cock on opening.

Anyways I started the test with 3 “foulers and they went into a nice 3 shot group given the my old eyes and aperture sights anymore. I looked at those 3 foulers and thought….”this is going to be good!”…..It went downhill from there………:(

I was so exasperated when I got the target I marked the groups with the wrong charges, they should be 26, 27 and 28. After the 1st 3 foulers the group settled a bit lower (could have been me for sure). and you see the 26 gr load in the “28” circle. Still I thought …..when I looked through the spotting scope…..”that ain’t so bad, should get better…….then I looked at the velocity…..1929 fps! I knew the odds of it getting better were slim to none with slim being gone……..I was already at the top end of the RPM Threshold with my starting load……that is a major sad face……:(

Shot the 27 gr load (marked 29) and at 1990 fps the “soft” blue PC’d bullets really went south. Then I shot the 28 gr load (marked 30) and the train left for Rio……at 2051 fps. So I went home and pulled the remaining 20 rounds of the 29 and 30 gr loads. Going to load 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 gr for the retest of the blues. Also going to load 29 gr with the greens to see if the harder bullets hold up better at 2000 fps.

Other than that it was another beautiful sunny day here in Lake Havasu………..:cool:

Larry Gibson

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

At least it was a good day to burn some powder, and get trigger time.
      A utter bad day at the range beats the best day at work… Of course you already knew that LOL ..

Larry it was a interesting report nevertheless. looking forward to the lower charges that you are planning maybe they will clean up.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That PC looks pretty thick. Probably an uneven coat. I know only one dude that got fairly good accuracy with PC, and his coating was thin and looked like dog, but it was even.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I think Goodsteel nailed it. Now I will admit I have not jumped onto the PC bandwagon. I simply never saw enough repeatable good accuracy from good shooters at good distances to be willing to make the jump. And then Ben’s Liquid lube came along and I quit looking.

Consistency is the key and those look too thick, glossy to be that even. Great for midrange plinkers but IMO not terrific for 100 yard plus true accuracy.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

I have seen no loss of precision with straight-wall cartridges at low velocity. That I can offer, but being straight walled cartridges, “precision” might be taken with a grain of salt. In my recent 45-70 adventures, a buddy came over with his 1895GBL, and he had loaded some bullets I had made with a heavy charge of 4895 and there was no loss of precision noted for the single ten shot group (about 3MOA with both PC and grease groove lubed with BAC with the RD 460-350grain GC bullet).
      However, I had used premium powder and tumbled it on with the BB method. The Kawasaki Green by Powder by the Pound is the best powder I have used for this method. It lays on the bullet like a Persian rug and coats very evenly.

Regardless, PC has a hard time providing enough positives (loss of precision notwithstanding) to convince me it’s worth the hassle. In the time it takes me to PC 100 bullets, I could have run them through the Lyman 4500 and been done with it. The only reason I’m still interested is that I wonder if it might be useful in hunting loads. If the PC can eliminate that first shot flier? Then it has all the other benefits of being a tougher more weather resistant bullet?
      It would be a stretch, but I’m still willing if it can perform. I’ll go back to experimenting one of these days.

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

I’ve been using PC in my .375 H&H, and getting around two inch groups at 100, which is pretty good for me with apertures and bad eyes. Velocity is right on 2400 fps. In my .358 win, I get groups consistently under 1.5″ @100 yds. with pc, 2170 fps. .

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Larry, I salute your effort and share your frustrations with powder coated bullets. Casting and loading since 1960 makes one pretty set in their ways and after working with the PC business a while back I abandoned it and returned to conventional lube methods. Personally, some new things don’t pan out and some older thing were right to begin with. But again what do I know? Just an isolated old coot in the woods here and kinda set in my ways now.;)

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…

Butch Wax;n15009 wrote: …….some new things don’t pan out ……..

Yeah. Literally! LOL!

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

This is my 3rd test of PC bullets; 1st and 2nd were with the 225438 in the .223 and the 314299 in the 7.62x54R. So far I’ve not been enthralled with the results. What I’ve found is to get the same accuracy as regular cast bullets I still have to lube them. So far I’ve seen not much to make the extra PCing worth while. I will keep testing because I told rjathon I would and because that’s what I like to do……just in case ya’ll haven’t figured that out……:rolleyes:

Larry Gibson

slim1836
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 63
      • Overall: 66

I like to have a lot of bullets on hand and without powder coating them they tend to oxidize. I just don’t shoot more than I cast and powder coating lends itself to long time storage better.
      I’m not a precision shooter and my shots are usually less than 100 yards. Minute of hog works for me.

Slim

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.