• Author
      Snow
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 1
      • Overall: 2

Hi Guys,

One of the great things about cast bullets, is that there are so many different designs available for us to choose from. One of the bad things is, that comparatively speaking, there is not as much load data available for them.

It would be really nice if the manual publishers would include the length of the bullet itself, and the distance from the base to the shoulder, for shouldered bullets. If they included this information, we would be able to determine the depth the bullet was seated into the case during their testing. This information would be a helpful guideline for determining safe starting points when using similar, but different bullets.

For example; Let’s say that you have a bullet that is similar to one in the Lyman manual, but it’s not exactly the same. You’re only looking at a picture or sketch drawing , you have no way of knowing if your bullet is longer or shorter and/or by how much. But if we knew the dimensions of the bullet they used during testing, it would be easy for us to determine the seating depth they used, that produced the pressures they listed.

Of course, the seating depth is not the only factor in pressures developed for a specific charge weight of a specific powder…….but it is the most influential item.

It occurs to me, that this group could account for many of the molds used in the Lyman manuals. Many questions could be answered.

So, if you are willing to help with this project and have a mold listed in the Lyman (or any other) manual, I would like to know the length of the bullet itself, and if it’s a shouldered bullet, the distance from the base to the shoulder.

If you want to get real fancy, you could take a picture of the mold with a bullet being measured with calipers sitting by the mold πŸ™‚ My personal interest is in pistol bullets, but rifle data may be useful to others as well.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I’ll check my cast bullet inventory and list what I have with pictures and measurements. Mostly rifle bullets, but there are also some pistol slugs there.

Dale53
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Overall: 1

Many of our present custom mold providers (Mihec, NOE, and Accurate) have published drawings of all of their molds complete with critical dimensions. That would be a good place to start – display the drawings, show source, etc. I am sure the mold providers would be happy to have their wares displayed, plus all of the good that would help lots of others.

FWIW
      Dale53

Snow
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Overall: 2

The mold manufacturers drawing are great, I always try to get one for new molds that I buy. But the molds that our custom makers build, are not the molds/bullets that Lyman or other manual publishers used for their testing.

That’s more of what I’m looking for, dimensions of the bullets/molds that were used in the testing. That way, I have something to compare with the custom molds.

For example; In the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the 45ACP molds used were; Saeco 063, Saeco 062, Lyman 452374 HP, RCBS 45-185-SWC-BB, Lyman 452460, Lyman 452630, Saeco 058, Lyman 452374, and the Lee 452-230-TC. So we have published data for those molds…….But no dimensions of the bullet itself. If we had those dimensions, we could compare them to whatever bullet we have on hand.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

Quickload http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm
      Quickload is a great tool for the reloader. It lets you play what if with any size bullet in any case with any powder and see what the velocity and pressures might be.
      It is not a substitute for published load data, but it sure does help, especially when you can’t find exactally what you’re looking for. Quickload has a library of bullets from several manufactures, I have V 3.8 and it has around 70 different bullet companies, which include Lee and Lyman. NOE has a file that you can import to cover their molds. You can also enter your own data to cover all of the bullets that you cast, or have measurements for.
      It is worth every penny.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

The engraving force for a cast bullet is much less than that for a jacketed bullet, so I’ve never had any problems with different bullet types. If nothing else, I just go by jacketed data for an equivalent weight bullet and work up. For an extra margin of safety in guns of questionable strength, I try to go with a powder at the slower end of the spectrum for the cartridge. In rifles, I can’t imagine a difference in bullet shape making a noticeable difference in pressure generated.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is the truth^^^^^^^^^^^

Calamity Jake
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 5

Snow;n674 wrote: The mold manufacturers drawing are great, I always try to get one for new molds that I buy. But the molds that our custom makers build, are not the molds/bullets that Lyman or other manual publishers used for their testing.

That’s more of what I’m looking for, dimensions of the bullets/molds that were used in the testing. That way, I have something to compare with the custom molds.

For example; In the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the 45ACP molds used were; Saeco 063, Saeco 062, Lyman 452374 HP, RCBS 45-185-SWC-BB, Lyman 452460, Lyman 452630, Saeco 058, Lyman 452374, and the Lee 452-230-TC. So we have published data for those molds…….But no dimensions of the bullet itself. If we had those dimensions, we could compare them to whatever bullet we have on hand.

The problem with is when a manufacturer(esp. Lyman) cuts a new cherry for that bullet listed it will be different, I’ve seen as many as 4 lyman molds all the
      same # and none of them were alike, haven’t noticed it with other makers.

ncbearman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Overall: 1

Calamity Jake;n1685 wrote:

The problem with is when a manufacturer(esp. Lyman) cuts a new cherry for that bullet listed it will be different, I’ve seen as many as 4 lyman molds all the
      same # and none of them were alike, haven’t noticed it with other makers.

Interesting. I didn’t realize this. Do you have specific examples? Once Lyman produced a cherry I assumed they were all the same. Like the 452374 for example. Every mould like this I have seen has been the same.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I have long wished that all the basic lee molds were listed in the Lyman cast boolit handbook.
      I suspect I’ll be wishing for a while yet.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.