Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I know Bjorn is down in Florida right now. I’m not sure who we have in Texas. Waksupi is choking on the wildfire smoke as we speak. Anybody else?

I’m in central Arkansas, and so far, all’s well.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Savannah, Georgia.

Hurricane Matthew last year wore us out, killed deer season too.

As of this morning, the forecast is to hit us again.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Dam. Sorry to hear that Kens. We’ll definitely keep a good thought!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

yesterday it looked like it would rake the north side of Puerto Rico, as of now it is a bit gone northward.

seems like it has already started northward, and if this continues, it will hit Bahamas instead of raking Florida coast, which means it will be offshore for us.

Let’s wait and see tomorrow.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I was just talking to Bjorn, and he’s fairly sure “it’s going to hit Florida and its going to suck”. I wish there was more I could do to help.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m thinking he will get the back side of it. At least (hopefully) he won’t get the front edge. Yes, the back side sukks, but the front side sukks worse.

Yesterday, it was tracking thru Florida straits & Keys; today it is tracking up the coast, maybe tomorrow this easterly/northern trend will continue, and it will turn out to sea.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The Ranch where some friends and I hunted hogs the last 4 yrs had about 2 ft of water all over it . While I don’t know them well it’s going to be pretty hard on them to keep the stock in tact . The water buffalo will be ok but they have/had about 80-90 red stag and several other antelope and deer .

Ranch Dog says he’s all clear but there’s still a lot of water in his area as well . I’ve been invited to spend a weekend some time so although we aren’t close he is a friend .

My youngest daughter is for now north of the fires in but is getting a lot of smoke near Tacoma .

As for harm’s way my oldest boy is in Northern Iraq with the 12th Cavalry .

My wishes go out for the hurricane to turn right , Oregon to get wet and us to dry out a little .

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Up here in the Dakota’s all is well. Sept is here so it is getting ready for ol man winter season. Things pretty much all shipshape outside and in.

Getting ready to settle in for a long winters nap, yeah I hibernate.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

This mornings forecast has Bjorn and I right in the hurricane. I was holding hope for a easterly turn, and right now it looks like isn’t happening.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Our prayers are definitely going out for the Floridians!!!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

11am update, this thing is looking bad, really bad.

it is one thing for a hurricane to hit land and tear up a swath 10, 15, or 20 miles wide, but this one appears to be going straight up the coast line (on the leading edge) and ripping up the entire east coast line, and then T-bone the carolinas.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m following it very closely. If anybody here needs a place to stay, I have a guest room with a private bathroom (it’s a regular hotel room) available. If you can get out, come stay here with us!!!

It’s a 15 hour drive, but room and board is free!!!!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I am one to generally poo-poo the weatherman and his dire warnings of death & destruction. They always make it sound so dramatic.

“hurricane making earthquakes’

‘nuclear hurricane’,,,

‘get out NOW’

‘run for your life’,, they seem to say.

But, this one is is headed straight up the coast, and the front edge is always got the most power.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

As of right now, it is going to pass just to the East of us. We are supposed to have sustained 100 mph winds on Sunday with higher gusts. I locked up everything I could in my shop and tried to get stuff up off of the floor to keep it out of the water. My house is in Cape Coral, my shop is in Port Charlotte. I have been helping friends and family put on shutters. My house got impact glass a couple of years ago. I have lots of water, food, gas and three generators. I got a new roof 13 years ago after Hurricane Charley so it should be good. Sunday will be the day, I’ve seen estimates from 2pm to 11pm as the peak. I’m hoping for 2pm cause 100 mph winds and night really suck.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, no kidding, a storm like that at night is pretty lumpy.

I been watching the satellite track all day, and right of now is jogging south to the Cuban mountains. That’ll choke it for awhile.  As extra time ticks in the mountains, my gut check is that our high pressure will serve to push it emerging into the gulf very weak. You might get a free pass.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

I am not meteorologist, only a optimist.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

I have been watching this like it was going to hit me personally, why?  Well been stationed there in Lauderdale/ Miami area born in Plant City so yes I have some family still there in the state . I worked the Andrew disaster, this one looks bad news and can / could dwarf Andrew. Because of that Naples, coral gables,  pembrooke, port Charlotte, etc etc does mean something to me other than a name on a map. I am in hopes this one hooks east into the lower glades and dumps most of it energy there in a non populated area. But I fear that is a pipe dream.

While no longer in the Army Engineer Corps ( Retired) my thoughts and prayers goes out to ya’ll, otherwise I would be posed to assist. Keep your head down and clear thoughts on your course of action.  I wish there was more I could do to help my fellow Americans in their time of need. Estimated storm surge of 6 to 12 feet , that is a lot of water.

Before I close to the Houston Texas folks I took great pride in ya’ll doing what Texans do… pulling yourself up by the boot straps and start recovery before the local or federal Government could react. God bless ya’ll …

It is times like this that we see the very best in Americans and sometimes that 2% of the population shows us the worst

Godspeed  to everyone.. hope to see and hear from ya’ll soon.

Mike

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

My prayers for all the folks in Florida and south GA ..

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The eye of the storm is still in Cuba, and the florida keys already got 50mph sustained winds

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I evacuated to SW Georgia on Saturday when they put us in the mandatory evacuation zone. We had a three vehicle caravan. They were calling for up to 12 feet of water. We got no water, from the gulf that is. Rain and wind did all the damage. I lost a tree and my grandkids play house. My screen porch lifted up a couple of inches and got pushed in a bit. All and all, we were very lucky here. The trip to GA wasn’t too bad. Gas was scarce but i had 50 gallons in the bed of my truck. The trip back would have been a breeze had it not been for two wrecks. An Asplundh truck rolled over and farther down the road a SUV looked like it had been dropped on it’s side from a building. It was completely burned and still smoking. We stopped for gas at Inverness. It was a madhouse. A little old lady was trying to fight a couple of people at the gas pumps. The cops showed up in short order. I put a can of gas from my truck into my wifes tank and said lets get the hell out of here. There is a ton of flooding here along with power outages. There are still people stranded. It’s quite the mess.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m so sorry for your trouble Tim. When mother nature turns loose, its no picnic.

I’m very glad you are safe though, and your property damage was minimal. I’ve heard from Bjorn (Ft. Lauderdale) and he got very lucky himself. (I’ll let him tell about the miraculous details).

God bless GSF and our members in harms way.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.