Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Posts
    • #45996
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Posts: 208
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

      Man what a pain. Ever since the move (which is coming up on one year) I have been without my DRO on the old mill. This would not be a problem if I had dials to read off and adjust for backlash (ie: old fashioned machining) but this mill doesn’t have dials, so if the DRO craps out I’m flying blind.

      No problem, the mill is not used for precision placement very often (I mostly use it as a dandified still press) and there’s more than one way to skin a mongoose. I just rigged up dial indicators and made do.

      Well, its still a thorn in my side not having true position readings so tonight I decided to throw a hail marry pass and tear the DRO apart. I knew it wasn’t the scales, and it HAD to be in the box, so I tore out the circuit boards and doused them in pure denatured alcohol, scrubbed them up with a new toothbrush and blew them off with compressed air. The rubber buttons were the culprit I think. The carbon contact dots on the back of them were masked over with snarf, so they got a good cleaning too. I put it all back together and low and behold I’ve got DRO!!!!!

      PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE CUTTING OIL!!!!

    • #46173
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Posts: 76
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

      It’s nice to see a high skill professional forward the too obvious to be the solution , solution …… KISS no ?

      Long ago an old man told me ” The difference between you and I and the guy in the $50,000 shop is the $50,000 shop . Cleaning and lubrication will fix 90% of things that move or connect , the other 10% are out of adjustment or worn out . 9 times outta 10 from being dirty and improperly lubed ” .

      Every so often we must remind ourselves to look at the to simple to be right …… 😉

    • #46174
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Posts: 208
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

      Too true to be wrong Harter. Well said.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.