Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

I think it’s a childish term but many seem to love it. W/ the demographics of that particular site I think the “internet’s definition” of the term is very amusing.
      https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3Fterm%3DBoolit%26amp%3Dtrue?client=safari

I find the term “heads” and “tips” annoying as well. But they’re used to get around filters on certain sites when selling items. Don’t get me started on using “caliber” instead of “cartridge” :laugh:

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

How about “projectile?” πŸ™‚

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

projectile works for me.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

With 14,000+ posts over there I never used the term. Always found it ridiculous if not ignorant when the terms “head”, “pill, “tips”, etc. were also used, especially by the self ordained “experts”. It’s one thing that they continue to believe in myths, old wife’s tales and falsehoods in the face of concrete scientifically produced testing but the making up of terms (“fitment” is an example) and misuse of terminology leads to many false beliefs and assumptions. If they can’t be bothered to do a little actual reading about ballistics then they shouldn’t make crap up to bolster their own ego’s…….but it’s the internet…..the same most every where.

Ball, bullet and shot are the correct terms for what we shoot out of handheld firearms. Projectile (also works for me) is a collective term which is inclusive of those and other terms shot by other than handheld firearms.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

It’s a term of social endearment used by those who love that site. I used to be one of them, but haven’t used the term for years now.
      I say more power to ya. “A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest of men”.
      In the midst of working to be the very best at this sport, I think it wise to resist the urge to take myself too seriously, and some would say I need to try a little harder in that regard.

I’ll say this: there’s a time for cutting up, and there’s a time to get serious and put your cards on the table. I want this to be a place where we know where and when, regardless of where other places draw the line (or not, as the case may be).
      You can call your them buddits, tips, heads, pills, silver dog turds, or anything else, but if you claim one thing works better than another, you best be ready to show why you think that. There are too many who try to build a reputation online on smoke, mirrors and bravado, then attack someone who builds their reputation on scientific fact and well documented and expensive testing. Some places on the internet will take the stance that everyone’s opinion is just as valid as anyone else’s, and in so doing they make internet information cheap and worthless. That’s not the way we roll here. There is right, wrong, winners, losers, scientists and smoke blowers, and we call a spade a spade. Not so that we can put someone down (that’s a good way to get the boot around here) but so that real solid information is available to build your skill on!!!

I’ll be perfectly honest, most of the folks here are the last folks I would want to shoot against if I wanted to look like a winner, and that is exactly why they are so very welcome. I cherish communicating with benevolent men who could make me look foolish. I find that when I give respect and due honor to those who are better than I am, they build me up and try to get me closer to their level, and that is a wonderful thing! In this place, I read these pages with a level gaze because I’m surrounded by people who are better than I at almost everything (including the shooting sports).
      Call them elite if you want. It’s OK, many of them have the badges and scars to prove that’s so, but I would be respectful.
      Go ahead and call your gun a “gat” and your projectile a boolit, but remember the caliber of people you’re keeping company with here and make sure they get the joke, or the joke’s on you. Obviously.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I use the term boolits for cast vs bullets for jacketed. I don’t believe the term is juvenile at all, just an easy descriptor. We used to call 3,5,8″ shells, not projectiles. 24″ were missiles. Of course they were all steel ‘jacketed’. Small arms was ‘ammo’, not ’rounds’. Semantically, cast as a noun or verb is sometimes confusing but “I casted some’ really irritates me. I will say wrangling those 8” from the high-line is WORK.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Projectile is a correct term so I don’t have an issue w/ it. I’m fully aware of why the term boolit is used. But it’s only used by members of the site. And seeing as how it’s geared towards casters and they have a swaging section, do you really need to differentiate between the two?

Obviously this all IMO and I realize others feel differently. I posted it because when you search for “definition of boolit” the link I posted is the first hit. Second is from The High Road. I don’t belive there were any results from CastBoolits on the first page. Little things like this amuse me.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

I also of the school of thought that boolits are cast. Bullets are jacketed.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

I prefer following the apparently well educated and those that use scientifically designed methods and techniques to find the best solutions for firing cast lead projectiles. And all of what has been said above is why I no longer log onto that “other” site. Most of what I read over there seemed to be of pure opinion and not based on tests or personal experience. I enjoy looking at someone’s bar graphs. I have learned something.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

I think everyone is entitled to their opinion! If it makes one happy then it is OK by me.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I am with popper. To me it is an easy word to use to distinguish between jacketed and cast.

Like any good thing of course some take it to extreme, and others get tired of having it rubbed in their faces.

I ONLY shoot cast, partly a cost saving measure, partly a measure of pride, if my rifle shoots well it is a result of my hands.
      I don’t make my own primers, yet. I don’t make my own powder, or draw my own brass.

I’m not rich, I can not afford to swage bullets, or draw my own brass cases.

But anything that I can do, I do, and take pride in it when I manage to do it well.

But like anything else your mileage may vary. No insult or injury intended to anyone.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I started using boolit when I found the other site. I still do it sometimes just to show my preference for cast over jacketed. In no way do I view it as the link to the dictionary states. I do find myself using it less now just to distance myself from the other site. I was on there just yesterday, and I can’t believe the ranting and raving. They seldom stay on the OP topic. Sad how it is falling apart.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

As a search for boolits ,just boolits , it gives CB as a top 10 reference .

I didn’t mind the boolits differentiation from jacketed .

I have a picture I post of what is very, very clearly a removable box magazine marked Savage CLIP , every time someone is loosing their mind over the distinction of clip vs magazine . I work in a magazine area some of which hold 500,000 lbs of HE , I occasionally flip through a magazine and I have a rifle that isn’t an M1 that I’m always looking for clips to feed it …………. I wouldn’t mind having a few more Savage box magazines marked clip just to throw gas on the fire .

I’m probably not up to the company that Tim describes , but I do like shiney things that go fast consistently where they are pointed .

blackthorn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 17

I do not use “Boolit”, just seems wrong to me. I can see some redeeming features when talking about cast and jacketed in the same post but using “cast” or “Jacketed” is just as simple (for me). As long as I can figure out what the post is all about I tend to ignore the small stuff. I have noticed that many folks who chuck rocks at others for using certain words are often as guilty of using poor English their own selfs—–see???

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

One of the main reasons boolit was used, is it defeats, or at least did, many search engine filters, and firewall filters.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

even though I weighed in earlier, I would not think adversely of a member here using the term on this site.
      Personally I believe the members here “should be comfortable in their own skin” or basically just be themselves. That goes for grammar misspelling etc etc. Use whatever term you like I’ll just read it as projectile. LOL

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Gold

I certainly don’t think adversely of anyone here or on CBF using the term “boolet” as long as it’s used in context. It’s the other bastardized terms that are used which is mostly the problem.

Recall when the self proclaimed ballistic expert, DrB, who refered to flyers and called shots as “flingy’s”. We also see them called “outers”……what is so difficult about just calling them what they are? What is so hard saying cast, swaged or jacketed?

The misuse of terms or the use of made up terms causes so much confusion to new casters and most often leads to arguments among experienced casters on CBF. Don’t think so? Just ask on CBF what the difference between leade, throat and free bore is…….

Are we really that unable to learn and use correct terminology? Ever wonder why there aren’t any professional ballisticians on CBF?

Larry Gibson

blackthorn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 17

“Don’t think so? Just ask on CBF what the difference between leade, throat and free bore is…….”

And—spell leade “lead” like most do! Then it really gets confusing.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Gold

Here’s a new one ya just got to love……….

“Redpill me on bore vs groove diameter terminology”

Redpill”……?……..maybe too much egg nogg the last week or so…………

Larry Gibson

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Reference to the movie the Matrix , sort of an Alice in wonderland moment , take the blue pill lets you just slip back into the manufacturered reality , the red pill takes you to the really real reality.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Gold

Obviously I prefer real reality in discussing ballistics……next thing we’ll probly see a discussion on how the pundits there can “throw, flip or flingie” a “boolet ” around an obstacle to hit something behind the obstacle……..:rolleyes:

After all, as a former expert on CBF said recently; “It’s not how we do it, it’s the way we do it.”……:eek:

Larry Gibson

bjornb
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

….or you can turn it 180 degrees: ” it’s not the way we do it, it’s how we do it….” then it gets even more brilliant!
      Some people are an endless source of entertainment ðŸℒ‰ðŸℒˆðŸℒŠ

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Gold

bjornb;n12745 wrote: ….or you can turn it 180 degrees: ” it’s not the way we do it, it’s how we do it….” then it gets even more brilliant!
      Some people are an endless source of entertainment ðŸℒ‰ðŸℒˆðŸℒŠ

Well how about that……reversing it works too……..:rolleyes:

Larry Gibson

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

You could reverse a lot of what’s said on CBF and it would still make the same amount of sense…

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I see the purpose and it says right up front what the word means within that forum, so I don’t have a problem with it. I always thought the aversion to “jacketed” was a little childish. One thing I can’t stand is people using the wrong words because they want to sound COOL. Often, they feel so self-important that they believe they have the right to take a word that already has a meaning and use it their own way and expect everyone else to “just know what they’re talking about.” If you’re speaking with a close group of friends and have your own conventions, fine. But when you are speaking on an open forum with people from all over the world, it is disrespectful to confuse the conversation because you “just call it that.”

Smithbrosarchery
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 16

Internet brings society “closer” at a rate (which is debatable) that is awfully similar to the rate that it destroys individualisms’.

Growing up in the world of fine building,we frequently see terms and parts being vernacular or colloquial.To argue or standardize these can be seen from several viewpoints.

Just sayin,stay in a business long enough and most get immune to it…and the lucky ones,learn to embrace it.Back to regular programming.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Gold

Yup, got to maintain a sense of humor about the whole thing……

However, from my viewpoint I don’t see accepting or standardizing “terms and parts being vernacular or colloquial“, especially in a science. Doing so bastardizes the science and gives many the impression it is all “art”. No need to argue as I agree that many aspects of how (or “way”) we reload and shoot may be considered skill, technique or art. None the less a great part of it is science, especially ballistics.

If we begin to accept colloquialisms then we also go down the path to believing we are a democracy instead of a republic, that our Senators still work for their states, that gay is a bad term, that only whites can’t use the “N” word, etcetera ad nauseum……and in context that “redpill” somehow (because of a movie) equivocates to “educate”……..a local educator has proposed we stop “wasting the students time and our education dollars” teaching kids cursive writing. seems everything will either be done on a computer (probably verbally) or printed, including their signatures…….have we come to that……. πŸ™

Larry Gibson

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.