Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Charlie – 0
      Deer – still laughing

I had chances early on for does and scraggly bucks, but I had seen a couple of nice bucks on the game cameras. I did get one chance at a nice buck at 20 yards about 4 days into the season. I was walking into the wind on the creek when I saw some nice antlers sticking out of some tall grass. I brought my Ruger SBH to full cock and sighted where I thought he would be when he stood. He had other ideas. He came out of there like a cock pheasant out of a weed patch and in one bound was behind a willow thicket. He emerged the other side and turned to go away from me, distance now 30 yards and opening fast. I decided not to fire as it was not a reasonably good chance of success. I did enjoy 7 beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Several days of western Kansas wind was a bit disgusting. I didn’t get a pheasant either. Never heard one crow in those 7 days. Been poor pheasant hunting there for about a decade now.

Looking forward to next season.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

This guy was just asking for it.

https://goodsteelforum.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/69047/ajexwktsldgas3vrma7q224o4g7qt2g8.jpg

I took several pictures, but he never got any bigger

Jniedbalski
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 208
      • Overall: 232

All I can do this year is look at all the pics of deer you all got. Had to work this year and couldn’t hunt. Ism missing out on black powder hunting also so keep posting pictures I like it

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

This one is a 6pt that weighed 125 lbs. I popped him with a Browning BAR in 30-06 with 150gn Corelokts at about 125 yds. The first shot was a broadside double lung that exited, he jumped and went to the other side of the lane and turned around and just stood there.  So I popped him through both lungs going the other way. Finally, he jumped off the lane and layed down.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Congratulations Glen!
      Wish the deer in my neighborhood had been so accommodating. I was too slow to get off even one shot. That young buck should make good eating. The ole buck I got two years ago required a visit to the pressure cooker for anything but the tenderloin, LOL

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I crock potted a neck roast from the buck last weekend in camp with potatoes, carrots and onions. After a long stay in the pot you could mostly cut it with a fork.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.