This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 218
    • Overall: 261

I got a present just the other day and to say that I was absolutely floored would be an understatement.  It is a Dan Wesson 8″ revolver in 375 SuperMag.

It came with a big box of components, labeled 375 Supermag ammo, some assembly required, and some load data from the Sierra manual for the 200gn Sierra bullet.  Hodgdon’s has load data for a 220gn bullet.  I also found part of an article by John Taffin for a 22ogn bullet.  I plan an shooting mostly cast in it, so I’m guessing that Quickload will by my friend on this project.

The box of components came with a bag of Starline 375 Win brass.  I cut down some of the Starline 375 brass to 1.610″.  I also had some RP and FC 30-30 brass that I had previously blown out to load for my 375 Win BB M94, so I cut down some of each to 1.610″ also.  I weighed the 3 different cases and was really surprised about the difference.  The Starline case weighed 151.5gns and held 34.7gns of water, the FC 30-30 case weighed 128.2gns and held 37.6gns of water, the RP 30-30 case weighed 118.1gns and held 38.9gns of water.  QuickLoad lists the capacity at 38gns.  I’ll need to fireform each of them and reweigh the water capacity before I proceed with load developement.

Most of what I’ve read on the 375 SuperMag is to use cut down 375 Win brass and to not use the much weaker 30-30 case.  The max chamber pressure for the 375SM is 40kpsi, while the max pressure for the 30-30 is 42kpsi.  So with the much larger internal capacity of the 30-30 case, it looks like the 30-30 brass should give better performance.  I think that I’ll work up loads in both the 375Win and 30-30 cases to see what the real world differences will be.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 196
    • Overall: 219

Cool looking pistols. Wasn’t the reason the dan Wesson’s where so accurate was that they used barrel liners instead of actual riffled barrels?

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 196
    • Overall: 219

Always wanted a dan Wesson. But never could quit find one in my price range. Got close once on a 357 model I should of bought . Thanks for showing off yours.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.