Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      JeffG
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

Folks,

I have a 54 vintage CZ 52 that I am shooting now and really like it. I have replaced the barrel lock up rollers with the those from Harrington Products and have also installed their firing pin. After replacing the hardened rollers, I note the lockup still has some fore and aft play in it but not as much as it originally did. How critical is this and should I be looking for a barrel? I see no wear on the slide.

Thanks

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I think they will always have some play. They seem to be built like a tank with the exception of the firing pin and rollers.
      I think I would try it as is and see how it behaves. Original rollers were not hardened which is why with some wear they would start showing slop.

Mine is a 53, came to me missing firing pin end (non functional)

I stripped mine down, read everything at Harrington’s about both the rollers and the firing pin.
      Ended up replacing just the pin. Once I finally got it all back in place right it works like a champ.

After getting it working the guy who brought it too me wanted to sell it to me. We ended up splitting the difference between what he wanted and what I was willing to pay after I threatened to remove my parts and give it back. Good little gun for 100$ and a 30$ part and a few hours of time.

I tend to shoot bigger groups with it than I do my Springfield Armory 1911 so it mostly sits next to my chair.
      Out of sight, loaded, one up the snout, safety on.

Should be good enough to get me to my shotgun.

JeffG
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 9
      • Overall: 11

It’s been shooting just fine for the 800-1000 rounds I’ve put through it so far. Groups are not really tight but I just got in Accurate’s 31-087T mold and I have cast some and have them ready to try out this weekend. I expect it will do better than the Lee 311-100-2R I’ve been using that is undersized. I really like this thing.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

It is a tank IMO, why they skimped on firing pins and rollers I have no idea, but governments and such make strange choices sometimes.

I like mine, functions fine, I’ve been using the Lee .314 90 grain truncated cone, tumble lubed sized to .309 and it solved a lot of my issues with rounds not always wanting to chamber fully. And about the time I finally got it functioning right I bought some 250 rounds of PPU hollowpoint ammo.

Mine does throw a bit bigger pattern than I like but at 20 feet they would all still be in a head with an inch or 2 to spare all the way around.
      Good enough to get me to my shotgun.

I love that they are easy to break down for cleaning, pull the barrel to plunk test loaded rounds, etc.
      And it is a fairly low cost setup for me, most of my brass was got by converting .223 military blanks.
      But those small rounds are a bit fiddly compared to 9mm luger or .45 acp.

Still fun gun to shoot, and it gets lots of looks.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Jeez, I’m still going thru the spam cans of surplus for mine – I did change out the Springs for Wolff extra power so that the casings are not lethal to bystanders. And I picked up a 9mm threaded barrel but it is in some metric thread and I have to get a thread adapter to 1/2×28 for it. Some day – not high on the list.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Two weeks ago, while shooting at an outdoor range, one of my magazines decided to disassemble itself. I found all the parts and unfired rounds at my feet except for the magazine spring. It must have left the county.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.