Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      redriverhunter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 47

I have been thinking about getting a 45/70 and I would like opinions about the cva apex in stainless, and your thoughts about what scope would go well this rifle thanks.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 11
      • Overall: 11

My brother has a CVA Hunter in 45-70. It has a good trigger pull and is accurate. Shot a nice doe with it. am not sure what scope he has on it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

A rifle is a rifle. A scope is a scope. Accuracy requires both.
      One thing I have learned is that each scope has an accuracy potential and a certain amount of error that it induces into the groups you are shooting, just like the rifle does, but on a more basic level because the only control you have over the accuracy of the scope is the quality you buy right off the bat.
      With a rifle, you can buy a cheap one, and if you get the loads right, you might occasionally get it to shoot halfway decent. A scope on the other hand is literally a “sealed system” and you get what you get, so buy good quality.

Whatever group you shoot down range is a reflection of the rifle, the scope, and the mounts all combined. Since I have been building superbly accurate rifles, I have found that scope quality can easily be seen in the groups produced by a rifle that shoots ragged holes on demand, when that tight cluster becomes a 1.5″ group. Crazy, but the scope just can’t be taken for granted. They are NOT all the same, otherwise people who compete would gladly not have to drop a suitcase of doe on an optic.

However, scopes are used for different things, and in the case of a hunting rifle, where shots are taken at relatively large targets, the main thing you want is a scope that will allow you to hold a 2MOA no matter the weather, temperature change, or a slight knock on a tree when you slip. I have a short list of scopes that I believe are up to this challenge:

Leupold.
      It’s at the top of the list for a reason. I have mounted and shot groups with dozens of scopes from this manufacturer, and the one I really like the best for hunting is the VXIII 4.5-14. That puppy is all that and a bag of chips, and can be found for “cheap” on Ebay if you keep your eyes peeled.

Bushnell Elite series.
      A close second. In fact, only second because I’ve only had the pleasure of using a few of these fantastic scopes. Those experiences were extremely positive. Those scopes are no normal Bushnell!

Vortex.
      A newcomer with a reputation that is growing like a weed. I actually own the Viper model, and I love it dearly. It sure seems you get more scope than you pay for with this company, and their customer service is jaw dropping.

Weaver fixed 6 power.
      Solid as a rock. Nothing but good to say and I want to own one.

SWFA SS.
      This is a bit of a mystery. Once marketed by Tasco of all companies, if you don’t mind the slightly tactical look, this could be the greatest scope in the lineup if “solid as a tank” performance is all you care about. This scope is loved by shooters who like to play rough and take long shots at small targets. Really great optic and the price is frankly jaw dropping.

That’s my short list as it pertains to new scopes of current manufacture.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

Goodsteel;n9108 wrote: A rifle is a rifle. A scope is a scope. Accuracy requires both.
      One thing I have learned is that each scope has an accuracy potential and a certain amount of error that it induces into the groups you are shooting, just like the rifle does, but on a more basic level because the only control you have over the accuracy of the scope is the quality you buy right off the bat.
      With a rifle, you can buy a cheap one, and if you get the loads right, you might occasionally get it to shoot halfway decent. A scope on the other hand is literally a “sealed system” and you get what you get, so buy good quality.

Whatever group you shoot down range is a reflection of the rifle, the scope, and the mounts all combined. Since I have been building superbly accurate rifles, I have found that scope quality can easily be seen in the groups produced by a rifle that shoots ragged holes on demand, when that tight cluster becomes a 1.5″ group. Crazy, but the scope just can’t be taken for granted. They are NOT all the same, otherwise people who compete would gladly not have to drop a suitcase of doe on an optic.

However, scopes are used for different things, and in the case of a hunting rifle, where shots are taken at relatively large targets, the main thing you want is a scope that will allow you to hold a 2MOA no matter the weather, temperature change, or a slight knock on a tree when you slip. I have a short list of scopes that I believe are up to this challenge:

Leupold.
      It’s at the top of the list for a reason. I have mounted and shot groups with dozens of scopes from this manufacturer, and the one I really like the best for hunting is the VXIII 4.5-14. That puppy is all that and a bag of chips, and can be found for “cheap” on Ebay if you keep your eyes peeled.

Bushnell Elite series.
      A close second. In fact, only second because I’ve only had the pleasure of using a few of these fantastic scopes. Those experiences were extremely positive. Those scopes are no normal Bushnell!

Vortex.
      A newcomer with a reputation that is growing like a weed. I actually own the Viper model, and I love it dearly. It sure seems you get more scope than you pay for with this company, and their customer service is jaw dropping.

Weaver fixed 6 power.
      Solid as a rock. Nothing but good to say and I want to own one.

SWFA SS.
      This is a bit of a mystery. Once marketed by Tasco of all companies, if you don’t mind the slightly tactical look, this could be the greatest scope in the lineup if “solid as a tank” performance is all you care about. This scope is loved by shooters who like to play rough and take long shots at small targets. Really great optic and the price is frankly jaw dropping.

That’s my short list as it pertains to new scopes of current manufacture.

Nowadays I mostly buy Leupolds.
      There are other good scopes, but the Leupold is the best I can afford.
      If I can’t afford it, I usually wait until I can.

My Leupold MK4 8.5X25 is the very best scope I own.It is also sitting on top of my most accurate rifle.
      It is the most expensive scope I own.

kungfustyle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 22
      • Overall: 27

I had the CVA scout in 45-70. Good and fun rifle to shoot. Reloading can be pricey if you don’t cast your own. If you are casting have a 500g mold at 12 to 1300 fps or a 350 to 405g w/ a gas check for best results. . A double cavity 500g mold will empty out a Lee pot in a hurry but that is a chunk of lead that has a high BC. I had a Nikon Prostaff BDC on mine, but any good scope will work. Check out HAWK scopes. Just be prepared to experiment to get the best results.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.