Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      JRR
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 84
      • Overall: 107

Yard sale jack. Piece of leftover aluminum plate. Four 1/4 bolts. Drill, tap and a couple of zip ties. Front bag.

Works very well.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I like it. Looks very functional.
      For sand bags, I cut the legs off of old jeans, the wife will sew one end shut, then toss in a bag of pinto beans and sew the other end shut. Works great.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I got one too…..

$3 at a thrift store. I had to soak and scrub it to get all of the trunk grim off the arms.

A friend welded a on base and bag rest for me. Real positive elevation and SOLID.

I’m also using “jean leg sand bags” for the rear.

Works great!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

No flies on any of that fellers. Well done indeed.
      I guided Wright Arms through building one of these for himself, and I have to say what he came up with was better than anything I was thinking of. I hope he’ll post pictures. His rest fits right in this lineup!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

A symmetrical jack is desirable (Left and right arms being the same length). Also choose a jack that doesn’t have any lateral play in it. My first jack available rocked back and forth and didn’t make the grade.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Considering that these jacks have been subjected to grinding away covered with dust and grime, then used to lift over a half ton or more it’s amazing that they all don’t wobble! What you gentlemen have built is great. Personally I’m impressed. Economic. Resourceful. Solid structural integrity. What’s not to like?
      Well done!👍👏

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If you go to the store and buy a new one, they are very solid indeed. No wobble whatsoever.
      That said, if you search around you can find a tight one laying around somewhere. Also, if the only one you have is wobbly, a few deft strikes with a drift punch in key areas will tighten it right up.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

I like your set up! I confiscated one out of a BMW and it is a sweet rifle rest also.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

As identified above, our gracious host on this fine site was kind enough to lend me some insight and what you see in the photos below was the result. The legs are made from 1″ round stock and drilled & tapped for leveling feet. The rifle rest incorporates adjustment slots and hinged sides to accommodate most any for-end. And the sides and bottom were lined with self-adhesive furniture moving felt pads. And I also built in a stop to ensure the rifle was returned to the same position following every shot.
      The first thing I did after building this rest was go out and shoot my first-ever sub-MOA 10 shot group. These things matter!

I offer the following without additional comment.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

And very little comment is needed. Fantastic demonstration of skill.

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

Very nice job

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Good job, now I am on a hunt for a jack!

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Saw one new in the box at Walmart yesterday while buying wiper blades. Think they wanted $40 or so for it. Better availability than .22LR at that store huh?;)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.