This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Goodsteel, this is likely all your fault.

Cabelas / Bass Pro Shop is advertising the Savage 10T-SR for $599.99. Looks like it might make a nice deer rifle.

They are also advertising the Ruger Precision Rifle for $1,399.99. Looks quite formidable. But, I’m not sure I could ever utilize it to its capability. And, I don’t think I would like to carry it for a few miles. I do like the adjustable stock that allows you to get vertical alignment with your scope. I struggle with that often.

6.5 Creedmoor. Like I need another caliber to load for. I can’t believe I’m even thinking about this.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Oooooooooorrrrrrrr…………..

You could send me a rifle you already love, and get me to build you a Carbon fiber tackdriver with a melonited core. I hand lay the carbon myself and the benefits are legion.

I’ve already got the 6.5 Creedmore reamer too.

Before you pull the trigger though, take a good hard look at the 6.5X55 Swede.

Brodie Brickey 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 5
    • Overall: 5

Charlie, the 6.5×55 in a modern strong action will do anything that the 6.5 Creedmoor will do with just a small bit more powder and a heck of a lot less pressure and much longer barrel life.  I have rifles in both calibers.  The Creedmoor I got shortly after they came out.  It is a Savage model 16/116 composite stock and is extremely accurate.  The  6.5×55 I acquired from Simpson Ltd. for a pittance and shoots just as good as the Savage.

The only problem I see with the Savage is I get mildly flattened and cratered primers even with factory ammo.  I have the feeling that these indications mean that my ammo is much hotter than what the book says.  I think it is short throated as ammo loaded to book spec (Lyman ) will crater and flatten primers at beginning load levels.  It came this way from the factory.

All that being said it is a great cartridge, accurate further than I care to shoot at game, and kills reliably through game as large as elk.  But, I don’t like the pressure problem.  Maybe Goodsteel can give me an idea of what to do about it.  I have yet to chronograph the rounds.  I feel that piece of Information would be very helpful as their is a direct relationship between velocity and pressure (the higher the pressure the higher the velocity) if fps’s are significantly higher than what the manual says they should be I will know that something is seriously wrong.  Brodie

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 203
    • Overall: 226

I would like to know more about your carbon fiber barrels. What are the benefits over a regular barrel besides weight. How are they made thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.